CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
Josh Bailey

Profile:
Re: Rogue (and any Oly Bar) Sleeve Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
Bll Henninger responds in 3...2...
Priceless. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
Edward Guzman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
Ed:

If you get the snap ring pliers, give me a call and I will walk you thru some troubleshooting.

The box vests are very nice, the strap is very easy to use.
Bill
Cool Bill.
I will call tomorrow morning PST.

Ed G
Old 09-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #13
Edward Guzman

Profile:

This issue has been like falling through a rabbit hole. Initially I thought my bar's lack of spin was a minor thing. Then after giving it greater attention I thought it was a bigger issue. And now after reading, lots of reflecting and way too much time experimenting with my Rogue bar I've concluded that the lack of spin issue is minor, and quite possibly a good thing.

I need to say I was off base about my bar's spin; (Rogue bar). Learning more about Oly lifting and the spin controversy. One can say that greater spin has an almost automatic appeal to some, especially more so among those who are amateurs lifters. This is something I too thought, and when I had trouble with bar control on heavy lifts I concluded the lack of spin was to blame.

I've since learned that rotation is preferable, not spin. Some manufacturers like Pendlay intentionally makes bars with less rotation for the benefit of the lifter.

Anyway, thanks to Rogue for their excellent patience and customer service. We had a couple of really good conversations. Kris actually called me at one point, and spent time walking me through some troubleshooting and patiently giving my concerns the benefit of the doubt. Thanks to Robert Freund for the excellent and careful reviews on bars and Glenn Pendlay for all of the info. on lifting technique and bar characteristics.

So forget about "spin" and let's stop oiling these bars. If they rotate and don't bend they are probably fine.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Been a long time since I've posted on the boards, but it seems like this would be a useful thread to others (myself included). I ran into the "no spin" problem with my Rogue Bar recently as well.

Ed, do you think you could walk some of us through what you did to either change your perspective, or to remedy the problem?

My bar has been put to VERY limited use since I've gotten it. But it's still been beaten up a bit.

It has been dropped a handful of times onto concrete without any bumpers on it (yeah, yeah...). I drove it 300 miles in the bed of my truck during a rain and hailstorm. I've wiped it down with 3-in-1 oil 1 time since owning it (approx 1 year), but otherwise have done no maintenance to it.

Lately I've noticed that 1 sleeve still rotates the way it did when it was brand new. The other sleeve does not complete a single rotation without any weight on it, and with 10 or 20 pounds on it, and with enough force, I can get it to rotate once or twice before stopping. Typically the weights will spin on the sleeve, but the sleeve itself will remain stationary. As the sleeve rotates, I notice a sliding sound, like metal sliding on metal.

The other sleeve (the "good one"), with no weight, spins several times before stopping. With weight on the bar, it can make quite a few rotations. There is no sliding/grinding noise that I can notice with it.

My concern isn't really whether it spins or not, but that both of the sleeves behave the same way. I haven't oiled the sleeves, and I can only imagine that the gallons and gallons of water dumped on it over an exposed 300 mile drive, somehow messed up the inner workings of things.

Any thoughts on what to do to get it good again? I don't wanna go *****ing with the sleeves and tearing things apart without knowing what I'm doing or why I'm doing it.

The bar will be in the care/use of family while I am deployed, and I want to give it to them in a condition that they won't need to worry about it. Maybe if there are enough issues with this, some sort of sleeve care guide can be put out? I'm willing to bet that with the quality of Rogue bars, though, that these issues are few and far between
Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
William Henniger

Profile:

Elliot:

Easy Fix - Put some 3:1 oil along the bushing area where the sleeve meets the bar. Turn the sleeve to work the 3:1 into the sleeve and store upright over night

If that doesn't work

Moderate Fix - Get snap ring pliers and pull the snap rings out, there are two per sleeve. If you don't feel comfortable with it then grab a buddy that is mechanical.

Once off the bar clean it out like a gun bore and oil with 3:1

If you have problems with that and/or that doesn't work just call us and ask for me or Kris: 614.358.6190 We will get your back in order

Bill
Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Thanks Bill, glad to hear that oiling the sleeve might be all that's necessary. I don't know a thing about barbell anatomy, so hopefully there's no disassembly required.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #17
Edward Guzman

Profile:

Apologies. i haven't logged on in a while.
But Bill replied so that is much better in terms of getting back in working order.
There are many factors that can affect a bar. Storage position, heat, humidity being the most likely.

I've found that it is best to store the bar horizontally, despite the various inexpensive bar holders out there which tend to be vertical. Coupled with heat vertical storage may encourage the lubricant to escape. Lastly, if this lubricant is out and you dump a bunch of water on the bar, I can't imagine the collars will go unaffected.

But this is all just speculative detective work. I would offer that I think these bars are great but water has a way of messing with tolerances, especially bushings.

On the spin issue, what changed my mind? Well, a few things. Pendlay and a few others have dealt with spin quite a bit. They shy away from too much spin. Also, it is one thing to have the collars rotate even spin at different rate naked, it is another for them to do so with 25lbs plates. The latter may be a problem.

Rogue was patient with me about spin. They gently prodded me so I reassessed my assumptions and expectations for the bar performance. Then I realized that what is best is a rotation of each sleeve.

Bill and Kris are great guys. Passionate about their products but exceptionally patient. Give 'em a call.

Ed G
Old 01-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
Christopher J Barnes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
Elliot:

Easy Fix - Put some 3:1 oil along the bushing area where the sleeve meets the bar. Turn the sleeve to work the 3:1 into the sleeve and store upright over night

If that doesn't work

Moderate Fix - Get snap ring pliers and pull the snap rings out, there are two per sleeve. If you don't feel comfortable with it then grab a buddy that is mechanical.

Once off the bar clean it out like a gun bore and oil with 3:1

If you have problems with that and/or that doesn't work just call us and ask for me or Kris: 614.358.6190 We will get your back in order

Bill
Anyone have any experience getting the caps off the Rogue bar to get to where you can use the snap ring pliers? Do I need to grab a hammer and screwdriver to try and pry it off?

Thanks!