CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #81
Michael Givens

Profile:
Re: An Effective, Yet Simple Strength and Conditioning Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare View Post
Thanks for all the feedback, good stuff.

New question, I didn't see this clarified in the program. Should you finish all sets of exercise A before moving onto exercise B, or should they be intermixed?

Example, Tuesday is Power Cleans and Dips.

PC #1
Dip #1
PC #2
Dip #2
PC #3
Dip #3

Or

PC #1
PC #2
PC #3
Dip #1
Dip #2
Dip #3

It seems intermixing would allow you to get the work done faster, since you would likely have less rest involved between sets, thus following the Crossfit theme. Thoughts?
I did my sets intermixed on Tuesday, and I was able to maintain much more intensity than the previous week. IIRC I started with two sets of PC, then intermixed the dips for the last 3 sets. If there's a bad side to doing this, please let us know.

Thanks, and thank you Justin for this program!

Last edited by Michael Givens; 11-18-2010 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: Added information about how I intermixed my sets.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #82
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The way the program is written you should do all sets of one exercise before moving on to the next. It's not supposed to be at a high level of "intensity" CF-style. You should do a set, then do your next set once you're recovered enough to where you're not feeling the previous set. High intensity is for the metcons.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #83
Beau Bryant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Givens View Post
I did my sets intermixed on Tuesday, and I was able to maintain much more intensity than the previous week. IIRC I started with two sets of PC, then intermixed the dips for the last 3 sets. If there's a bad side to doing this, please let us know.

Thanks, and thank you Justin for this program!
What Eric said.

Yes there is, it hinders recovery between sets. When the weights begin to get heavy you will need to recover to continue hitting your reps. This may not be apparent now if you have just started and the weights are relatively light but it will become obvious soon enough when you start fighting for every rep.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #84
Ryan M. Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
The way the program is written you should do all sets of one exercise before moving on to the next. It's not supposed to be at a high level of "intensity" CF-style. You should do a set, then do your next set once you're recovered enough to where you're not feeling the previous set. High intensity is for the metcons.
That's how I do my sets. Especially on days with squats, there's no way I'd be able to intermix them with anything.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #85
Michael Givens

Profile:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
What Eric said.

Yes there is, it hinders recovery between sets. When the weights begin to get heavy you will need to recover to continue hitting your reps. This may not be apparent now if you have just started and the weights are relatively light but it will become obvious soon enough when you start fighting for every rep.
Thank you for the guidance, Eric and Beau. What you have said makes perfect sense, and I won't be doing supersets going forward.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #86
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare View Post
Thanks for all the feedback, good stuff.

New question, I didn't see this clarified in the program. Should you finish all sets of exercise A before moving onto exercise B, or should they be intermixed?

Example, Tuesday is Power Cleans and Dips.

PC #1
Dip #1
PC #2
Dip #2
PC #3
Dip #3

Or

PC #1
PC #2
PC #3
Dip #1
Dip #2
Dip #3

It seems intermixing would allow you to get the work done faster, since you would likely have less rest involved between sets, thus following the Crossfit theme. Thoughts?
I go with option 2. I think its better to do it that way so you can get the most of your barbell work. On the thursday for example - if you tried putting sets of bench in between sets of squats, you will get less out of both excercises. THats my two cents anyway, and thats how I do the program.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #87
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
I go with option 2. I think its better to do it that way so you can get the most of your barbell work. On the thursday for example - if you tried putting sets of bench in between sets of squats, you will get less out of both excercises. THats my two cents anyway, and thats how I do the program.
IMO, it's fine to mix them as long as it isn't causing you to miss reps. If you are making all your reps/sets, I don't see how it could "get less" out of the exercises. Super-setting has worked well for me in the past. YYMV
Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #88
Robert Beckett

Profile:

Quote:
OK but let me ask this (Beau, Eric, etc): Let's say I normally wait 5 mins between sets, and finish all 3 sets of one exercise before going on to the next. Now, what if I switch to "supersetting" but give myself say 3 minutes between sets? I still have (over) 5 minutes between sets of a given exercise, but I cut my workout time by a lot. This isn't true supersetting because it allows recovery between sets, right? Is there anything terribly wrong with this?

This hasn't had any ill effect so far, but then I admit I'm pretty understrong still.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #89
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Beckett View Post
OK but let me ask this (Beau, Eric, etc): Let's say I normally wait 5 mins between sets, and finish all 3 sets of one exercise before going on to the next. Now, what if I switch to "supersetting" but give myself say 3 minutes between sets? I still have (over) 5 minutes between sets of a given exercise, but I cut my workout time by a lot. This isn't true supersetting because it allows recovery between sets, right? Is there anything terribly wrong with this?

This hasn't had any ill effect so far, but then I admit I'm pretty understrong still.
Your squats or presses don't operate in a vacuum--there's systemic stress to your body when you do a different heavy lift. When you start moving a decent amount of weight, a heavy set of bench or press will have a negative effect on your next set of squats if you tried doing them like that.

You're free to do it however you want, but there's a reason the program is written as it is.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #90
Beau Bryant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Beckett View Post

What Eric said again.

You can do what you like but the fact is if you ask this question it tells me you have not sat around all day thinking if there was any way you would hit your 3 x 5 that evening. When you get the feeling that the next set of five may kill you I am willing to bet you will not be doing dips between sets of squats.

If you feel like you can do something between sets then decrease your rest time and get back after the same movement. I watch my guys rest a minute or so at the beginning of linear progression. This is fine but as the weights get heavier you will need more time and you will not be doing anything between sets.