CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: kindle ... anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
There are about 400,000 titles available for Kindle. There are just short of a million for the Nook. Both vendors are in the process of converting their entire inventory for E-readers and E-ink.
Which they can't legally do without permission from the copyright holder.

That's the bottleneck. The booksellers would LOVE to go electronic, but the rights owners aren't so sure. It's the same DRM stuff that the music business went through.

Katherine
Old 05-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #22
Nick Skirvin

Profile:

Love my Kindle. I echo everything Casey said so far. Plus if you travel it's the bomb. Nothing like finishing a paperback on a plane and not having another book. Or planning ahead and bringing extras, which take up a ton of space. I love that I can switch back and forth between books and not have to carry a ton of them with me. Or if you're at home you don't have to get up and go pick one out.

The prices of the ebooks range from average to amazing. I picked up an 8-book set for $30 from amazon. Hours and hours of reading, and instead of carrying those 8 books, plus the other 30 or so titles I have, I just carry the kindle.

I LOVE MY KINDLE. And I can't even use the wireless feature because I'm overseas. I got to experience it during a brief trip back to the states and it was AWESOME. You can just be sitting at the airport looking at books in the store and instead of paying $25 for the book in the store you can turn on the kindle and buy it for $10 or so and have it delivered instantly...plus no extra book to carry around.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #23
Andrew Roden

Profile:

I have the Sony e-book reader and really really like it. Plus you can read non DRM'd pdf files on it.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #24
David Sailor

Profile:

I have the Nook and am very pleased with it. It didn't take long, less than 50 pages, to get used to it versus a real book. I have a protective cover and it opens like a book anyways which makes it comfortable to hold.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #25
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sailor View Post
I have the Nook and am very pleased with it. It didn't take long, less than 50 pages, to get used to it versus a real book. I have a protective cover and it opens like a book anyways which makes it comfortable to hold.
and its possible to use BandN books on the kindle or its an amazon library or nothing?
Old 05-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #26
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
and its possible to use BandN books on the kindle or its an amazon library or nothing?
Both B&N and Kindle have readers for Macs, PCs, and iGadgets. As far as I know, though, you can't read a nook book on the Kindle or vice versa.

Katherine
Old 05-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #27
Jeff Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Both B&N and Kindle have readers for Macs, PCs, and iGadgets. As far as I know, though, you can't read a nook book on the Kindle or vice versa.

Katherine
The Kindle can read some other eBook formats, to include it's own proprietary copy protected format, the nook can read most except of course Amazon's. So, theoretically you can download an eBook in another format from another site and read it. Although I don't know quite how that would work, maybe syncing with software or something.

Edit: Just looked it up, and for the kindle, if you email the book to yourself (using a registered email address through amazon or something like that), the email service will convert most formats to the kindles format, and it only can read like 3 or so formats natively.

Last edited by Jeff Wilson; 05-02-2010 at 06:07 PM..
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #28
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I have the Nook and think it's great. I tend to read some more obscure books, which haven't all made their way into the B&N Library yet, but oh well. It's still a much bigger selection than Amazon, at the moment, and it's growing fairly rapidly from my understanding.

Functionally, I think both are pretty similar. The touchscreen on the Nook is nice, but the software for it is a little sketchy and unresponsive at times -- hopefully they release some patches that fix the little glitches. All in all it's fun to use though.

The e-paper thing is pretty cool, but it's not like a Nook or Kindle is a purchase that can only be made once a year ... they're both relatively cheap.

The B&N library is what sold me on the Nook though.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #29
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
I have the Nook and think it's great. I tend to read some more obscure books, which haven't all made their way into the B&N Library yet, but oh well. It's still a much bigger selection than Amazon, at the moment, and it's growing fairly rapidly from my understanding.
For those considering a purchase, it might be a good idea to search both stores for the kind of books you personally read. B&N's selection may be bigger overall, but it's seriously lacking relative to Amazon's in the areas I care about.

Katherine
Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #30
Briggs Willoughby

Profile:

Coming in a little late but...
I was jonesing for a Kindle and then I just started using Stanza on my IPhone and now really don't feel the need for anything else. The screen is a little small but once you get used to it you don't notice. As for kicking the real book I find now that I like reading in the dark with just the backlit screen better.
The neatest thing is that I always have a book with me and am always reading. Plus Stanza supports almost any format including .pdf.