CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: why am i not losing weight!

Eating in zone quantities with crappy quality will not yield good results.

Fix the quality of the food you are eating, get that dialed in and see where it takes you. If it is not enough, then worry about quantity (zone).
Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #12
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Besides what are your blocks like, you could plug a day's worth of food into fitday and see how things break out.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #13
Cristina Scott

Profile:

I would definitely go with the nutritional advice given above. DO NOT LOOK AT THE THE SCALE. Go by how you are feeling and how your clothes are fitting. Also, I agree with the comment above that you may not be getting enough rest. Make sure you give your self at least two days off a week. Try keeping a food journal, this way you can tell why you are not progressing or why you feel a certain way on a certain day.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Didn't we just go over this about two weeks ago? Two weeks isn't enough time for a diet to work. Give it a month or two and go from there. Keep us posted.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I'm in a rush so maybe I missed where you mentioned it, but someone else said you were eating 14 blocks. That sounds like it could be part of the issue right there.

At 5'7, I'm rx'd 13-14 blocks. You're 5'1.

Find your lean body mass
Multiply it by 0.7 (this is the "standard," but you might adjust this a bit here and there)
Divide that by 7g protein per block

i.e. I weigh 145 pounds at 9% body fat = 131.95 pounds lean body mass
131.95 * 0.7 = 92.365
92.365 / 7g = 13.195 blocks

I'm not sure where a 5'1 female is getting 14 blocks from, but if you think you need that much intake, you might just consider taking a more reasonable block count for your LBM, and increasing the fat instead.

That's just me though... I guess I know some people who weigh 130-150 pounds and eat considerably more blocks than I do. To my knowledge, none of them have any real statistical reason for eating the blocks that they do; they just do it; or because CFJ issue #21 has such grossly ballparked block recommendations for "Average Athletic Females." Just my opinion.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy DiDio View Post
i am getting so frustrated, for about a month now i have been doing the zone diet and working out 5 days a week and being extremely active and my weight it not budging! i am 5'1 and 153 lbs!! i thought for sure because i have totally changed my diet from what is was before and started to workout i would see weightloss off the bat. Can anyone help me out!? also should i maybe try that 30 day paleo challenge diet? how does that work?
Just a guess since you didn't post much info but you are likely just eating too much. There is a CFJ video of a nutritional cert discussing the number of blocks one should eat. In that video Wolf lamented that the overwhelming number of crossfitters overestimated the number of blocks needed.

I don't have the vid but it is free and has been posted on here. Outside of that, I have no knowledge because I know nothing about the zone.

I do like the idea of changing to Paleo though. To me, Paleo is a way of life. The Zone is a diet.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
Jesse Gray

Profile:

I have to agree with the two posters above me, if you're zoning on the proper number of blocks the weight should be falling off like crazy even if you're not working out. Get a proper body composition measurement to find your lean body mass and recalculate.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
I'm in a rush so maybe I missed where you mentioned it, but someone else said you were eating 14 blocks. That sounds like it could be part of the issue right there.
I just used 14 as an example--I don't think she's said how many she's eating. Yes, at 5'1" she should probably be lower than that...maybe more like 11-12ish.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #19
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I just used 14 as an example--I don't think she's said how many she's eating. Yes, at 5'1" she should probably be lower than that...maybe more like 11-12ish.
Probably more like 10.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
My mistake then; thanks for the correction. The overall point to the OP remains though, so consider your blocks and food quality, then consider your rest/recovery, and then consider all the other stuff.