CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #91
Mark Markley

Profile:
Re: My Encounter With Dynamax. A MUST READ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"Squat as deep as you can while still maintaining good form. That would be my recommendation. You must have some sort of awareness as to when your depth is too much in that it creates butt-wink for you"

That, if you don't know, you need to learn where it is.
Did someone shuffle two distinct threads together? I thought this was about purchasing medballs?!?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #92
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Back on track...

Why the lynch mob, everyone? I've been a CrossFitter for going on 2 years now, and have gotten several of my fellow Marines into it as well, with great success. For all intents and purposes I am an avid CrossFit supporter and supporter of the methodology. But this community drives me insane sometimes and is 100% of the reason why I seldom post anymore, never support affiliates, and refuse to go to any CrossFit certifications, save for the Running and Endurance Cert I went to more than a year ago, which -- not to discredit those who run it, or its philosophy -- was a misuse of finite resources (cash). This post caught my eye because I thought it was going to be a positive review of Dynamax, and then I was flabbergasted by not only the original post, but the incensed replies it received in its support.

The man has a business and he is free to run it however he sees fit. There is no code of conduct or business ethics that he HAS to follow when dealing with customers, particularly as an independent. He's not engaging in anything unlawful or even unethical by responding to you like that.

You asked if he offered a discount for CrossFit affiliates. He told you NO, and then proceeded to tell you why. He talked down about CrossFit, and the fact that this made you "FUMING" is a bit curious to me... it's not like he insulted your mother or anything.

Not to get too far off track here, but he made some pretty valid points in his response. I hope my local affiliate doesn't show up at my doorstep with flaming torches for saying that. I have been disenchanted by the certification and affiliation process for quite some time, and agree with his perspective wholeheartedly. I've had more than one idiot come to me trying to correct me on the basis that he is "Level 1 CrossFit Certified." Ok... so he paid $1000 to attend a two day "certification," and STILL has no clue what he's talking about. This has become the norm, and not the exception. as far as my experience goes.

There was a time when being CrossFit certified meant something, and when a Lv1 Trainer could come to me and I would obey his/her word as if it were the word of Coach Glassman. Sounds like I'm not the only one.

Kudos to what you are doing for trying to further the functional fitness movement. I have no ill-will to someone who's out to help people better themselves, and think this is one of the things about CrossFit that will never be changed or tarnished. I'm not trying to harp on you for what you're doing with your Affiliate by any means.

But just because someone speaks out about the inherent and glaring flaws in a program that they may or may not have once supported, does not mean they need to be thrown to the wolves, boycotted, or exiled. Dynamax balls are a bit pricey, but from the times I've used them, they are a great product and a worthwhile investment if you can front up the cash. If you are too caught up on the CrossFit gospel so as to take one man's perspective so personally...

............................. don't you think NOT doing business with them would suffice?

Last edited by Elliot Fuller; 12-12-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Old 12-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #93
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
Back on track...

Why the lynch mob, everyone? I've been a CrossFitter for going on 2 years now, and have gotten several of my fellow Marines into it as well, with great success. For all intents and purposes I am an avid CrossFit supporter and supporter of the methodology. But this community drives me insane sometimes and is 100% of the reason why I seldom post anymore, never support affiliates, and refuse to go to any CrossFit certifications, save for the Running and Endurance Cert I went to more than a year ago, which -- not to discredit those who run it, or its philosophy -- was a misuse of finite resources (cash). This post caught my eye because I thought it was going to be a positive review of Dynamax, and then I was flabbergasted by not only the original post, but the incensed replies it received in its support.

The man has a business and he is free to run it however he sees fit. There is no code of conduct or business ethics that he HAS to follow when dealing with customers, particularly as an independent. He's not engaging in anything unlawful or even unethical by responding to you like that.

You asked if he offered a discount for CrossFit affiliates. He told you NO, and then proceeded to tell you why. He talked down about CrossFit, and the fact that this made you "FUMING" is a bit curious to me... it's not like he insulted your mother or anything.

Not to get too far off track here, but he made some pretty valid points in his response. I hope my local affiliate doesn't show up at my doorstep with flaming torches for saying that. I have been disenchanted by the certification and affiliation process for quite some time, and agree with his perspective wholeheartedly. I've had more than one idiot come to me trying to correct me on the basis that he is "Level 1 CrossFit Certified." Ok... so he paid $1000 to attend a two day "certification," and STILL has no clue what he's talking about. This has become the norm, and not the exception. as far as my experience goes.

There was a time when being CrossFit certified meant something, and when a Lv1 Trainer could come to me and I would obey his/her word as if it were the word of Coach Glassman. Sounds like I'm not the only one.

Kudos to what you are doing for trying to further the functional fitness movement. I have no ill-will to someone who's out to help people better themselves, and think this is one of the things about CrossFit that will never be changed or tarnished. I'm not trying to harp on you for what you're doing with your Affiliate by any means.

But just because someone speaks out about the inherent and glaring flaws in a program that they may or may not have once supported, does not mean they need to be thrown to the wolves, boycotted, or exiled. Dynamax balls are a bit pricey, but from the times I've used them, they are a great product and a worthwhile investment if you can front up the cash. If you are too caught up on the CrossFit gospel so as to take one man's perspective so personally...

............................. don't you think NOT doing business with them would suffice?
Well said.

Semper Fi,
Brittf
Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #94
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britt Freund View Post
Well said.

Semper Fi,
Brittf
+2. Good response.