CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Like in your avatar right there; if you had to bail from that point, you would drop/roll (say) the left arm down and away from your body while keeping the right arm straight to help guide the bar away. Is this correct?

No. That's a good way to hurt one or both shoulders.

I keep BOTH elbows locked simultaneously as long as possible, regardless of whether I'm going to lose the lift in front or behind.

Take a broomstick in your hands, same grip as used for the snatch or overhead squat. If you can't keep both elbows locked and rotate the bar behind you - called a "dislocate" - then either the grip is too narrow or the shoulders are too tight. Note that I'm 6'1" and my grip is nearly collar-to-collar. Veronica is much shorter and I think her grip is much closer to the rings (on a competition bar.) YMMV

Go to Benn's Weightlifting Movies. Watch Colin Ito's 135kg snatch attempt, Donald Shankle's first attempt snatch and Joshua Squyres second snatch attempt. Note that they do not roll one shoulder first, then the other. They remain symmetrical. In Colin's case, he never gets the bar high enough to fully lock his elbows. Even so, he keeps them as stiff as he can until he lets go of the bar. If he hadn't kept his arms stiff, the bar would hit have hit him in the back. If he had rolled one shoulder first then the other, he would have instantly doubled the load on one shoulder and could have seriously hurt himself. But Colin has missed hundreds of lifts like that and because he knows how to dump a bad lift he has never had a serious injury losing a lift.

Also watch David "Chip" Kent's last clean & jerk attempt. Note how when the jerk drifts too far forward to save, he keeps his elbows locked and his hands on the bar in order to keep the bar at a safe distance. Perfect example of how to miss a jerk forward safely.

Tim Rabas shows perfect technique how to miss a clean on his last clean & jerk.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #12
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I should mention that if you are going to lose a jerk or a military press BEHIND you, you do not do a shoulder dislocate. You simply step out from under the bar and let the bar fall behind you. Go to the women's competition and see Erin Okonek's last clean & jerk. http://ecsc.uoregon.edu/~benn/movies...konek115-2.mov
Old 07-13-2005, 04:59 AM   #13
Chris Melanson

Profile:
Thanks again Lincoln - I understand now.

I have an old bar at home, I think this week-end I will work on my bails.

Darn - I mean YEA! Snatches t'day!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:30 AM   #14
Patrick Kennedy

Profile:
Lincoln,

Thanks for the link. Great videos.

Pat
Old 07-17-2005, 07:08 PM   #15
Brad Smith

Profile:
I work at a university and wanted to learn a little about oly lifts because I was concerned about just guessing about correct form so I got in touch with the Athletics Dept Strength Coach. I knew him already but had never asked for his assistance. Just like as has been mentioned here several times, he had a stack of bamboo canes that he started everyone he trained with. Except for me, these were all student-athletes who had probably already gotten some training in HS.

I let him off the hook too soon and didn't get enough of his help - I think he may be gone now - but I wanted to add support to the suggestion of starting off with a broom stick to practice form and bailouts.

Brad
Old 07-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #16
John S. Powell

Profile:
Just to illustrate the point (Warning: slightly graphic, in a painful sort of way):

http://www.t-nation.com/forum_images...ing_injury.jpg

World Championships, lost a snatch and tried to hang on. Goes to show that even experienced lifters can mess themselves up; start light.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:03 PM   #17
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Oh man, John, don't scare the newbies away! :uhoh:
Old 07-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #18
John S. Powell

Profile:
well, it WAS a 350 lb. snatch, i believe