CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Hunter Jones

Profile:
Programming Help

I normally go to a gym and workout, so I just follow the gym's programming. I'm currently away from my gym and going to a local gym isn't in the cards. I have access to dumbbells(up to 100lbs), a pull up bar, stationary bike, jump rope and place to run. I have all the things I need to keep myself in shape until I get back to my gym, but I'm having a hard time putting together a plan so I don't over workout an area. I end up just picking a random travelers WOD each day from different gyms. Does anybody have any ideas that may help me plan my workouts better? I normally workout 5-6 days a week. I've never done any programming on my own and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: Programming Help

How long will you be away?

To be honest, unless you are following a very specific program with set goals I wouldn't get too worried about it. Just keep your workouts high intensity, vary the movements and weights used (light v. heavy) from day to day, and use the standard functional movements favored by CrossFit. If you are just trying to maintain your fitness, and are only gone a short time, even a random approach would probably work fine.

Why not look at the main site workout each day, then just tweak it to fit your available equipment? With a pull up bar, a full set of dumbells, a jump rope, and a place to run it appears you have lots of tools.

For example, today's main site WOD includes modest weight (115 lbs.) power cleans, plus lots of one-legged squats (pistols). I find power cleans with a dumbell to be awkward, so if I were in your situation I might do alternating dumbell snatches at 55# in lieu of the 115 barbell power cleans. I'd also scale the pistols (one legged squats) by alternating legs each rep because I'm not yet proficient enough to rep out many reps at a time with one leg. If you don't have pistols do air squats or maybe use a dumbell and turn them into goblet squats.

Programming CAN be rocket science at the highest levels, but for short periods of time it doesn't have to be. Throwing darts at a board to pick your workout for the day will get you in pretty darn good shape as long as you stick to the basic fundamentals of CrossFit, even though well planned programming is clearly better over the long run (but well planned programming will still stick to the basic fundamentals of CrossFit.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Hunter Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
How long will you be away?

To be honest, unless you are following a very specific program with set goals I wouldn't get too worried about it. Just keep your workouts high intensity, vary the movements and weights used (light v. heavy) from day to day, and use the standard functional movements favored by CrossFit. If you are just trying to maintain your fitness, and are only gone a short time, even a random approach would probably work fine.

Why not look at the main site workout each day, then just tweak it to fit your available equipment? With a pull up bar, a full set of dumbells, a jump rope, and a place to run it appears you have lots of tools.

For example, today's main site WOD includes modest weight (115 lbs.) power cleans, plus lots of one-legged squats (pistols). I find power cleans with a dumbell to be awkward, so if I were in your situation I might do alternating dumbell snatches at 55# in lieu of the 115 barbell power cleans. I'd also scale the pistols (one legged squats) by alternating legs each rep because I'm not yet proficient enough to rep out many reps at a time with one leg. If you don't have pistols do air squats or maybe use a dumbell and turn them into goblet squats.

Programming CAN be rocket science at the highest levels, but for short periods of time it doesn't have to be. Throwing darts at a board to pick your workout for the day will get you in pretty darn good shape as long as you stick to the basic fundamentals of CrossFit, even though well planned programming is clearly better over the long run (but well planned programming will still stick to the basic fundamentals of CrossFit.
Have about 4 months before i head back. The random approach should interesting. I'll know how good it is when I get back to the gym and see if my lifts have improved or weakened. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:15 AM   #4
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Jones View Post
Have about 4 months before i head back. The random approach should interesting. I'll know how good it is when I get back to the gym and see if my lifts have improved or weakened. Thanks for the help.
4 months is a long time--so I wouldn't follow a random approach there. A week or two is what I was thinking.

Since you will be gone 4 months I would pick some actual professional programming to follow and stick to it--main site would be great or you can look to other likes CrossFit Invictus or Competitor's WOD--and just tweak the workouts to fit your equipment.

If you want to follow the main site programming, note you can go to the CrossFit BrandX forums and they give scaled info every day including options that allow for use of different equipment based on equipment limitations. If some of the suggestions they provide on a daily basis don't fit your circumstances, pose a question on that forum and you will likely get an answer. Note that the CrossFit main site actually directs people to the BrandX forums for scaled options.

http://forum.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/