CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Controlling your ego and your drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips View Post
You'll be fine, and in fact you'll come back stronger than before. While people love to cheer each other one, and encourage each other to push hard, there is a difference between pushing yourself hard, and pushing yourself over the limit. In time, you'll learn your own threshold
Or else you won't, and sooner or later you'll seriously injure yourself.

The impact of being a slacker during one workout is much smaller than the impact of missing a month because you didn't know when to back off. Especially while you're new, it's smart to err on the side of doing less, not more.

Katherine
Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Thanks for the great advice guys/gals. I am feeling really sore today from yesterday's deadlifts and wall balls. Again, I can see that my "core" is a weakness for me. Lower back is crazy sore while my legs and upper body are good sore. I took off today, but may have to take off tomorrow as I don't want to push it now. Not sure I could do a WOD in this condition.

I think at first I was looking to go balls to the wall and push myself. One month in and after reading these responses, I realize that I need to control myself. In time, with the proper work load, I will be able to go all out and push my limits higher.

I think for the first three months (2 more) I will reign myself in and not give a what anyone thinks or says, including myself.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Frank, one more thing to consider is even when you are a firebreather you can't constantly go all out all the time. Most coaches will push people hard every day just because they have no idea who was working out few days in a row and who came in fresh. Either learn to pace yourself and ignore your coach if you know that today you should not go 100% or do not come to your affiliate for every training session. Personally I feel that it is difficult to avoid competition with other people and to ignore coaches so I do 75% of my training on my own. And remaining 25% I can afford to go really hard plus it feels much more fun that way.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
Frank, one more thing to consider is even when you are a firebreather you can't constantly go all out all the time. Most coaches will push people hard every day just because they have no idea who was working out few days in a row and who came in fresh. Either learn to pace yourself and ignore your coach if you know that today you should not go 100% or do not come to your affiliate for every training session. Personally I feel that it is difficult to avoid competition with other people and to ignore coaches so I do 75% of my training on my own. And remaining 25% I can afford to go really hard plus it feels much more fun that way.
Alexander, this is good advice. Coaches can't really read everyone, especially when there are 8 - 10 people in a group. I know it is ultimately up to me to be responsible and take care of myself. That means not going 100% everyday.

It's funny because the first three weeks, I was fine for the most part. Good soreness and I felt progress. These last two workouts have really killed me to the point that I am not able to function properly. It's disheartening and makes me question CF, but I know I need to be more in charge if I plan to continue with crossfit.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Agree with many others here. Normally I can easily get through a warmup @ our box, do the strength/skill portion, and then do the WOD. For example, yesterday's warmup was:

30 walking lunges with 50# kettlebells
25 pushups
20 wallballs
15 Abmat situps
10 burpees
5 10-second thrusters @ 115#

The strength portion was 3x3 squats at 70%, 80% and 90% of our 3RM.

The workout itself was:

8 HSPUs
8 HPCs (Hang power cleans) @ 165#/115#
6 HSPUs
6 HPCs
50 pushups
50 DUs
6 HSPUs
6 HPCs
8 HSPUs
8 HPCs

On a normal day, I'd be gassed after the WOD. YESTERDAY...following a week of colds and the like I was gassed after the freaking WARMUP. So I scaled the heck out of my squats (my 3RM is something like 265 or so - I scaled down to 185) and still felt like crap.

I did go on to do the WOD, but again scaled (e.g., piked box pushups for the HSPUs, squats for the hang power cleans, and rowing for the double unders), and a day later, feeling like crud, I know I made the right choice.

The beauty of it is that our coaches get to know us so obviously they're going to know if you really ARE that gassed or if you're self-defeating and need some motivation.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt A. Windsor View Post

30 walking lunges with 50# kettlebells
25 pushups
20 wallballs
15 Abmat situps
10 burpees

The strength portion was 3x3 squats at 70%, 80% and 90% of our 3RM.

The workout itself was:

8 HSPUs
8 HPCs (Hang power cleans) @ 165#/115#
6 HSPUs
6 HPCs
50 pushups
50 DUs
6 HSPUs
6 HPCs
8 HSPUs
8 HPCs
That is a hell of a workout. Is something like that typical? I've dropped in at 18+ boxes and have never seen a workout like that. Was there a rest day or 2 scheduled after that WOD?

I mean...heavy squats after 30 lunges, 20 wallballs, and 5 slow thrusters? 75 pushups and 28 HSPUs? I'd be interested in what the WOD was the day before and after this.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt A. Windsor View Post
Agree with many others here. Normally I can easily get through a warmup @ our box, do the strength/skill portion, and then do the WOD. For example, yesterday's warmup was:

what is a 10-second thruster? how is it performed and what is the point/purpose? is it just a slow front squat followed by a slow press?