CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Rick Scarpulla

Profile:
GPP and SSP= better CF

Learning how to raise your GPP to handle gretaer workload capcity is critical to learning how to raise your SSP (sport specific performance) they both go hand in hand. In order to have better CF performance you must increase your SSP capcity which depends on a greater GPP but in order to achieve that you must train in proper durations. Working with CF athletes we incorporate SPP into our training while staying in the framework of the overall template.

If you are a 15 round fighter you need to train differently then a 3 round fighter. Yet your recovery ability must be the same. This reflecting your SSP as well as your GPP. You can't recover from marathons as quickly as you recover from shorter "smokers" as we refer to them. You are far better off to limit your marathon work outs and increase your "smokers" workouts. You will yeild far better results.

In CF you can't sacrifice strength or cardio or sport skill to increase the other but you can't train them all at once either. You need to train them all in appropriate ways. Your CNS will only tolorate so much before breakdown begins. Think of it as this " The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time" you cant eat it all at once but you can eat it all if you spread out lots of small meals. I love training really hard it's a great feeling to push yourself past where most athletes will go, but I also know how to pick and choose my battles. Hard work does not always have to come in max time packages.

You can accomplish more by adding "smokers" to your regimine which should include SSP and GPP, if you frame them correctly and keep them proper lengths. Too much and you crash and burn too little and you are not doing enough. You must add them in they are as important as your main workouts. Most top athletes understand and employ this method. The more effectively you utilize them the better your CF performance will be.

Athletic success is a long road -take lots of steps but quit trying to take giant steps. Make your workouts more effictive. You need increase your workload capacity- to do more in less time. Isn't that CF?
If you stop making gains then you are doing something wrong. We can all continue making gains.I know I do! TRAIN HARDER - TRAIN SMARTER

Last edited by Rick Scarpulla; 03-15-2012 at 05:49 AM..
Old 03-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Lindy Hruska

Profile:
Re: GPP and SSP= better CF

when does the ebook come out????
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Rick,
I can't wait to go over this in more detail at the seminar. It's something I'm struggling with balancing now and I know it is critical to success.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Is this akin to cycling, such as doing a strength biased program part of the year (EG CFFB, GSLP, 70's BIG), then doing regular CF wod's for part of the year, then working gymnastics part of the year?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Totally agree with Rick's post above and I have learned this single-handily changing my programming with CF.

It is easy to get caught up in the volume of CF work when you're in it but sometimes you have to step back and ask yourself where you're headed. In my case, I was plateauing with times on various benchmark workouts and getting weaker -- not stronger. This caused me to be crushed by sub-10 minute "heavy" workouts so I changed my programming and focused first on strength development, combined with short, aggressive "metcons" and still lots of CrossFit skill work at low intensities (muscle up, HSPU, handwalks, etc).

The results have been GREAT thus far. Improvement in strength across the board with all the "benchmark" workouts going down, even the bodyweight aerobic work is improving and my engine is stronger.

Training smart and effectively is the key here. We all have a certain amount of time to train and recover, and it is easy to caught up in stuff that doesn't correlate with gains. Ditch that, and focus on the stuff that makes you better (hammer your weaknesses and solidify your strengths).
Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Rick Scarpulla

Profile:

Raising both GPP and SSP are done all year during your training. We do strength training and GPP all year round and SSP most of the year as well. You need to raise these in order to aide recovery from your training while increasing performance and creating greater work load capacity. They should be utilized in a conjugate fashion as well as you need complete development in order to continue progress.

CF is a multi demensional sport. You can't continue progress if you do not increase workload capacity and the only way to increase workload capacity is by increasing GPP and SSP.
I do not reccomend taking any time away from strength training as you refered. Strength is the necleus of all performance. Not nessacerily extreme strength but strength it is the most universal trait is sport performance. Focus on explosive power! Do not stop working that any time during your training. In addition strength and muscle are the best protection for the body we have.

The program is getting closer and we have begun doing seminars and clinics in various locations to help launch it! These are really great events and everyone is learning a tremendous amount. I wll try and be on here more reguarly and answer questions and give any help I can. We are sorry for the delay.

Last edited by Rick Scarpulla; 03-16-2012 at 07:00 AM..
Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Scarpulla View Post
Raising both GPP and SSP are done all year during your training. We do strength training and GPP all year round and SSP most of the year as well. You need to raise these in order to aide recovery from your training while increasing performance and creating greater work load capacity. They should be utilized in a conjugate fashion as well as you need complete development in order to continue progress.

CF is a multi demensional sport. You can't continue progress if you do not increase workload capacity and the only way to increase workload capacity is by increasing GPP and SSP.
I do not reccomend taking any time away from strength training as you refered. Strength is the necleus of all performance. Not nessacerily extreme strength but strength it is the most universal trait is sport performance. Focus on explosive power! Do not stop working that any time during your training. In addition strength and muscle are the best protection for the body we have.

The program is getting closer and we have begun doing seminars and clinics in various locations to help launch it! These are really great events and everyone is learning a tremendous amount. I wll try and be on here more reguarly and answer questions and give any help I can. We are sorry for the delay.
Sorry to thread jack but I figured this would be the most appropriate place to post and sorry for the long post.

Any chance you could provide a sample template of a typical week. I've been transitioning this past month towards conditioning as I'm preparing for soccer trials in Europe this summer and am trying to find a effective balance regarding my strength, gpp, and spp. Here's what I was thinking and any advice would be great appreciated.

M: 4minx4 intervals (AM) [http://www.fosen.net/file.axd?fileid=17008 wfs]
> skill work in racquetball court/bball gym followed by WOD at my local box (PM)

Tu: agility/speed work followed by skill work (AM) > 531 ME Squat/Press/DL followed WOD

Wed: 4minx4 intervals (AM) > skill work followed by WOD

Th: rest

Fri: agility/seed work followed by skill work (AM) > DE Squat/DL followed by WOD

Sat: 4minx4 intervals (AM) > skill work followed by WOD( depending on how I feel and if I have a game in the evening

Sun: rest

I've been gradually building up to full 4 minute intervals as well as increasing the number of wods I do per week. By the end of the month I should be doing everything as written above. There is at least a 5 hour gap between any work done in the AM and PM.

25yo
5'10"
190 ~15%bf

not sure of my 1RM or 5RM but these are the numbers from my last day of my SS cycle which I just finished recently.

Squat 315x5repsx3sets
DL 405x5reps
Press 115x5x3

I need to lose about 10 pounds of bodyfat so initially Ill be starting out at around 2700 calories a day broken down as 175gP/400gC/40gF and increase calories as body composition changes and/or if performance starts to decrease.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Rick Scarpulla

Profile:

I am not going to sit here and nit pick your routine and say its all wrong, but If the goal is to prepare for a soccer tryout then the aforementioned routine is far short on explosive strength work and out of balance for this timeframe in relealtionship to a summer tryout.
You are still far enough out that explosive strength should be your main focus but it appears that you are just doing some compound movements and not any real explosive work or functional assisantance work. You are still far enough out where you can develop some more speed, strength and add skill development to your game.

The most valuable non sport specific tools to an athlete are explosive strength and speed. Explosive strength is responsible for creating explosive speed and that is paramount in soccer. That is built through proper selection and execution of the main movements and those movements are built up by proper assistance work. They go hand in hand.

With that said you do not want to prematurely take away from the approach that will help you the most. Build more horspower in the functional muscle groups(hams,glutes,hips and core) to create more explosive speed and strength.

AS far as GPP and SSP goes as in place in your routine I really dont see much everything you have down looks like full workouts. Refer to my previous posts and add those as suggested. Those "smokers" will also serve as restoritive work to aide recovery and help prevent injury as well

When building a balanced routine structure- Explosive strength, proper supporting assistance work, sport targeted- explosive conditioning work, GPP and SSP work along with built in rest and recovery and of course continue doing ball skill work

As far as diet goes if done correctly you can trim your calories so you drop slightly and reduce bodyfat (although 15% is not terrible for a soccer player) then balance it so you maintain while adding muscle density to your frame

I take it you have been playing soccer for a very long time and since you are looking at a pro tryout I assume your on feild or sport specific skills are not that weak by the strength numbers posted you are not tremendously powerful and there is room for improvement. (although I would like to see you reference any speed times or indicator times) Speed is critical for you and increasing that must also be addressed as a prime not a side note

Back it down a little and reevaluate and consider building in the factors suggested. I currently and have succesfully worked with numerous D-1 soccer players and have helped some reach pro and olympic levels. Feel free to call me and I will be happy to help you further my number is on my site myultimateadvantage.com

Last edited by Rick Scarpulla; 03-18-2012 at 08:50 AM..
Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Rick Scarpulla

Profile:

I have recieved some email lately and it seems many people dont quite understand the multi purposes of GPP and SSP

GPP also serves as one of your best injury prevention tools and it is an important factor to continued gains. Alot of folks do not realize GPP and SSP are not only for raising workload capacity but a great way to help stay healthy. Smokers can help aid in recovery and overuse issues if set up correctly. Think about what needs attention not only for performance but for restoration and prevention as well. We all have lives and time is a precious thing. Short and sweet is the best approach. Wisely but quickly. If something aches you may be able to help it along with gentle PT style work if your all healthy you can add workload capacity. Don't make excuses why you can't do it find a way to do it! Everyone can benefit from these.

Some of the reason some people don't make the gains they'd like is because they are standing in their own way
Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
Ben Norris

Profile:

Hey Rick when you say a short smoker what would that look like?