CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-01-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
Graham Hayes

Profile:
The benefits of the rings, parrallel bars, the floor and high bar are pretty well understood, at least I think so, by many CrossFitters. I want to push my gymnastics since I think I neglect it too much so I gave Gymnastics and Tumbling another good read, especially the lesson plans. For the beginner level there seems to be a lot of emphasis on vaulting and work on the balance beam. I'm interested in the benefits of training in these two events that the other events above lack. And also their importance for elite fitness. Cheers.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
Neal Winkler

Profile:
This is just my guess on vaulting, but I would have to say that vaulting is merely the ability to traverse some obstacle in your path while running at full speed both efficiently and safely. Try to imagine some scenerio in which your survival hinged on such an ability.

As far as the balance beam goes, well, balance is one of the ten general physical skills. The athletic and survival value of superior balance is obvious. If you can balance on a balance beam I would imagine that you would also find yourself having good balance on the ground.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Read my paper titled "Everyman's Gymnastics" it was in one of the CF Journal's. Not sure which. Anyway it covers some out of the gym practical skills developed on all of the artistic gymnastics events.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:38 AM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Coach Harrell, I read your article before posting thinking the info was there...but it isn't.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Hmm, ok I thought I had info on beam and vault in there. I'll have to look it over (don't have access to it now). Sorry.