CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
David Vessey

Profile:
I've been back and forth from CrossFit over the past year or so. Usually when I do get into it for a stint, I'm horrible at following the WODs, so I'll just look through the archives and pick out one that looks 'fun'.

I'm just curious, is the order in which the WODs come a key part of CrossFit?

Thanks!
I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered... did a quick search of the forums but couldn't find anything useful.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
Hi David,

They're only a key part in the fact that they are basically random. Variance is an important part of CrossFit.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Bryan Edge

Profile:
There is some method to the madness, but operating outside the method is also part of the madness.

Plus, it's just fun. :-)

Old 11-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Hi David:

WOD ordering has been discussed a couple of times . . . try searching for "WOD" and "frequency".

The main risk in picking your own is that you will almost certainly favor certain types of workouts over others (favorite moves, metabolic over strength (or strength over metabolic), maybe you hate to run . . .), and therefore fail to develop what you *need*.

No insult intended . . . almost everyone will fail to truly pick what they need. I know I would.

The WODs as presented on the CrossFit main site are NOT the only way to "do CrossFit" . . . but they do offer a complete training regimen across all the metabolic pathways, and all kinds of strength expression, over the course of a month or two.

Unless your needs are specific, and you understand them well and have the discipline to select carefully, it's hard to improve on the daily WOD as posted.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Josh Brehm

Profile:
David, just make sure that when you're picking out these WODs that look "fun", you're not just picking them because they're easier for you to perform than others. If you really don't want to do a certain WOD, that probably means you ought to.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Dang it, Daivd, you got to it just seconds before me. :P
Old 11-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to WODs
Old 11-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
David Vessey

Profile:
Thanks for all the great responses.

'fun' generally means something safe, that I know I can do on my own and that I've done before. For example, I was initially hesitant to do the recent power snatch/run WOD, because I've never had any formal instruction on O-lifts and snatches in particular.