CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Chris Longley

Profile:
I've been playing with the idea of starting a Crossfit facility in the UK for quite some time now. If anyone has any info on the practical side of doing this in the UK it would be great to hear from you.

Big grey areas include facility insurance and whether a fitness qualification is necessary (both from a legal and marketing point of view i.e. will people train with someone who doesn't have a recognized qualification).

Any feedback would be great.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:52 AM   #2
James Dent

Profile:

Chris - sounds like a great idea. I live in Birmingham, England. I have NVQ level 2 Circuit Training Instructor and use some elements of Crossfit in my classes. But I am wary of clean and jerk and other weightlifting moves. I think you may need a BAWLA (British Amateur Weightlifting Assoc) certificate to teach those but I'm not sure. Start Crossfit Bham and I'll be your first member. I think it would be a definite success - all other gyms are the same. Good Luck!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Crossfit South London sounds good to me! Count me in!

Where do you live?

Maybe you could contact your local independant gym to ask them for advice. I imagine the regulations under which they operate would be applicable to a Crossfit-style facility. They might tell you to get lost, but you never know, they might be willing to help you out with advice.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
mark litherland

Profile:  
Chris sounds like a good idea to me.Originally i'm from south london but now live in the west midlands so like james said crossfit birmingham would suit me down to the ground.Good luck with your plans.

cheers mark
Old 01-26-2005, 04:52 AM   #5
J Thorogood

Profile:  
Insurance, a must, public indemnity at least, building and contents etc unsure of, but maybe influenced by your location of choice (industrial unit, shop front etc).
As for qualifications, well there be a potentially HUGE can'o'worms. Like most things everyone has their opinion of whats best and whats required. YMCA, Premier Training, BAWLA are a couple of places running recognised courses, but whether they are of any use....
I know 'instructors' with whole strings of qualifications (inc 'Sports' Degrees) who are so woefully lacking in any real world lifting experience, whom I wouldn't trust to teach my granny to lift a frying pan let alone a oly bar.

And then there are those who have minimal basic (if any) qualifications, but years of practical lifting and training experience....

Old 01-26-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
"J"
As you were notified, full names are required on the board; contact me to have your account reinstated.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
Chris Longley

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like Birmingham's crying out for a Crossfit centre!

I'm down on the south coast in sunny (occasionaly) Devon. In some of the other threads people have mentioned that Crossfit is a perfect business model for smaller communities and so it would seem to be great for around here. There is a possibility that I may have a chance to start something in Bristol, but that won't be for a long while yet.

The main area of concern for me at the moment is not having a fitness qualification (I've got a Business degree and experience with training friends and family, but no 'recognized' fitness qualification). Even though it seems that many of the qualifications aren't worth the paper they're written on, most members of the public would like you to have one before they consider training with you. Also, I have doubts that banks would lend money to someone starting a business in an area that they aren't qualified in. Does this sound true?

On the insurance front, does anyone know if you need a qualification in order to get insurance?

If anyone knows anything about this kind of thing it would be great to hear from you.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #8
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Yay! Devon!

I think Sidmouth is crying out for a CrossFit gym, while I was there I couldn't find anywhere to train, I had to commute back to Exeter. You could call it CrossFit OAP, lol!

Not to sound too obvious but I think it would be wise to talk to the banks and insurance companies and see what they would like. They're in the business of taking your money so it seems likely that they would want you to qualify for their loans and insurance.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #9
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Hi Guys!

I've just started the whole crossfit thing, but am a qualified Fitness Instructor and have been for the last 5 years. Qualification through Premier, REPS registered and Personal training as well as other stuff that i won't bore you with!

My background is in oly lifting for athletics and for personal training. Went thru the normal training stuff in terms of isolaton etc. but then the muscles never actually work in isolation in the real world so i thought why bother!

Liking the fact there are a lot of like minded souls on here. Me and a colleague looked into the possibility of opening a cross fit facility here in London. I do believe he even has a business plan. I'll check with him and any interested parties we could all see what we could do?

"J" i know exactly what you're saying. A lot of the people i work with haven't even heard of something as simple as the clean or snatch, yet they are trusted to train people-SCARY! Best bit is, they start on the same pay grade as the more experienced instructors, but that's another topic!!!

Feel free to drop me a line at any time and we can bounce some ideas about......
Old 02-27-2005, 11:52 PM   #10
Lani Lau

Profile:

Its great to see so many of you interested in starting CrossFit facilities. You all need to get over here and go through our certification. Mark Beck (Manchester-I believe) was out for our Feb seminar. He is an experienced trainer and athlete who likely could answer many of your questions. Keep an eye out for him and Mark Hawthorne.