CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Duane Bennett

Profile:
Trochanteric Bursitis

I was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis two months ago and have since been seeing a PT for a little over a month. So far the treatment has been stretching, deep tissue massage, ultrasound, and IT band release (stick roller on IT band). This is in addition to my own treatment (foam roller, stretching, occassional NSAIDs). I have also eased off the heavy lifting (squats, cleans, etc.), but still have the pain when I perform deep movements. SLDLs don't iritate the condition, but squats, DLs, cleans, and lunges definitely bring the pain. The treatment has improved my condition on a day-to-day basis, but I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever be able to squat again.

Has anyone been successful battling this injury? What treatments did you use? Has anyone had a cortizone injection into the bursa? It doesn't sound pleasant, but I'm beginning to think it may come to that.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Robert Pierce

Profile:
Re: Trochanteric Bursitis

I've done dozens of cortisone injections and as cortisone injections go, they work really, really well for trochanteric bursitis. Properly done, they are not very uncomfortable.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
I have also eased off the heavy lifting (squats, cleans, etc.), but still have the pain when I perform deep movements. SLDLs don't iritate the condition, but squats, DLs, cleans, and lunges definitely bring the pain. The treatment has improved my condition on a day-to-day basis, but I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever be able to squat again.
Dude, lay off everything for now. Everytime you try stuff you're aggravating it.

Give it a month.

And add some massage to your own regimen. Push blood to the area.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
Chris Terry

Profile:

Sounds like a pretty good treatment regimen. I would also look for someone who does Graston soft tissue work. I have had tremendous success using Graston coupled with PT and stretching. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Duane Bennett

Profile:

Thanks for the input, guys.

I should have mentioned that the pain was on and off for a couple of years before I actually had it diagnosed as bursitis. This is why I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever go away. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the condition has progressed to tendenosis since Alieve seemed to help a little.

Robert - I have my last PT appointment today and a follow-up with the rehab MD soon. I'll talk to the doctor about the injection. I forgot to mention that the PT is using a cortizone cream with the ultrasound, but she said due to my muscularity (though I'm far from huge) it's questionable how much value it is adding. I also have the bursitis on both sides, so I don't know if this would cause hesitation for injections.

Steven - I have laid off most lower body movements since 2009 started and haven't squatted with weight since 12/22, so I've kind of given it 3 months. Regardless, I get your point. As you know, it just sucks to stop everything. Especially after hitting big numbers (relatively speaking) in 2008.

Chris - I'll ask the PT about Graston.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Duane you should foam roll/massage/loosen up everything in your hips, legs and lower back. Look for other tender/tight muscles.

See if that helps out any. Sometimes there's other tight muscles that irritate the hip as well.