CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Robbie Smith

Profile:
So I started my ACE personal fitness trainer class today...

So my fire dept chose me to become a PFT for our new recruit classes and for my coworkers. They chose an ACE pft since it is one the top three certifications in the nation. The classes started today and I was just a little suprised at some of the things they teach. Now...I've only been doing crossfit for a little over a month and been on the Paleo for like a week(been on low carb diets before though). Anyway, we were being lectured on the process of energy development and the need for ATP today. Well, basically they are saying this:

1. Carbs are the only nutrient that can be used for energy aerobically and anaerobically.
2. A by product of the burnt carbs is needed for the body to burn fat for energy.
3. At least 20 minutes of relatively intense work needs to be performed before any fat is considered for energy.(Fat oxidation)

So on and so forth, but it seems to me that this company praises carbs which seems odd to me. Basically it seems to go against a lot of the principles of crossfit. Science says that we need loads of carbs before fat can be burnt for energy. Plus, we need workouts well over 20 minutes before a store of fat will ever be burnt. I know i'm speaking in generalities here and that crossfit is much more than this, but it really struck me as odd. Considering how well everyone does on crossfit and I just love it, it seems to be unmentionable in this class.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Robbie Smith

Profile:
Re: So I started my ACE personal fitness trainer class today...

Sorry wrong forum. Maybe some will read anyways.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

I got me ACE cert. about 10 years ago. Since then I have gone on to get my Master's in Exercise Science (and 10 years of training experience). It frustrates me to know that they produce a lot of so called certified fitness professionals with a some what skewed idea of fitness and nutrition.

Consequently I have not renewed my ACE as I don't want to associate myself with an organization that teaches improper training principles.

I'm not trying to get on my soap box here but if you ask me there are better organizations to get a certification through.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Bryan Gates

Profile:

You'll find a lot of misinformation from some of the most "authoritative" sources in the fitness industry. Fitness science is still pretty much in its infancy so there is a large amount of necessary information that is simply missing. Part if the issue comes from people interpreting scientific journals who have no business doing so and spout garbage because they misunderstood it.

I have been looking into an NSCA CSCS and some of the information they have you wade through is complete BS. I am almost afraid of studying for a test and either shutting out BS info and possibly failing or gaining BS info and screwing someone up with it later on.

1. Carbs are the only nutrient that can be used for energy aerobically and anaerobically.
This is actually kind of true. Its not carbs in general, but glycogen and glycogen can be created from fat and protein via glucogenesis, which happens routinely.
2. A by product of the burnt carbs is needed for the body to burn fat for energy.
I have never heard of this one and would be highly skeptical. I am not aware of any enzyme release resulting from the burning of carbohydrates that is necessary for burning fat.
3. At least 20 minutes of relatively intense work needs to be performed before any fat is considered for energy.(Fat oxidation). This is pure and simple BS. Fat is being broken down and redeposited constantly with energy from this being used for various systems. While it is true that carbs will blunt fat oxidation, this is dependant on the amount of carbs being digested and whats present in the blood stream so the time would be variable. Some one in keto would definitely not need 20 minutes to begin burning fat.

Crossfit is based on what works as observed. The reason this works better than the other methods is because of the insufficient information to create a well performing plan without real world experimentation to fill in the gaps. Hypothesis and theories were developed based on observed evidence and common sense thinking and they were tested against real world results. Its the reason why Starting Strength works so well too. It is based on decades of real world observations using everyday people in normal situations and keeping what worked and throwing out or rethinking the rest.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Kevin Hewell

Profile:

I got my ACE PFT cert. last year and went through the same experience. I had to hold back during all the bogus nutrition information. ACE basically just teaches the old school food pyramid and that too much protein and fats are bad. There are much better certs however the IAFF has chosen to partner with ACE for the peer fitness trainer program. I am still glad that I have the cert so now I can pass along all my Crossfit knowledge to my fellow firefighters.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I knew this would be an interesting thread from the title. My first thoughts were "oh boy".
However, this would be a great place for people like me pretty new to CF to learn the actual logical counters/explanation for the bad information out there. Keep sharing!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
Pilar Grace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gerbrandt View Post

Consequently I have not renewed my ACE as I don't want to associate myself with an organization that teaches improper training principles.

I'm not trying to get on my soap box here but if you ask me there are better organizations to get a certification through.
So what are they? I currently have mine through NASM and just had to give BS answers to pass the test. Unfortunately the insurance for the affiliate requires a PTC by a nationally accredited program, so we can't just show our CF Certification.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Armandi Muniz

Profile:

yes I am curious as well. I am looking into the NSCA cert. Any opinions?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
Charles Bennington

Profile:

What would have to happen to bring a the CF Certification to a national accreditation level?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Christin Street

Profile:

Great thread! I was scheduled to get ACE certified to start PT again after a hiatus. About that time I discovered Crossfit (5 months ago) so my dreams of returning to PT have been on hold. Meanwhile my globogym would hire me in a NY minute without a cert (based on prior experience) and give me 6 months to get re-cert (ACE). I'm hesitant. Would also love to know others opinions. And yes, no insurance with the CF Level I cert since it's not yet recognized.