CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #31
Alex Markovic

Profile:
Re: CHEAP Bumpers-Any Good???

Since this is my first post on these forums, I don't expect much weight to be held on my opinion, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in.

The YMCA I lift at recently re-outfitted itself ~8 months ago and installed 5 full power racks (each with a platform attached) and 3 stand-alone platforms (VERY high quality) and has brought in thousands of pounds of these Bumper weights. Other than the fact that they take up far too much room (in my opinion) on a standard bar (4 and we can't get anything but a spring-clamp on) they seem very durable and there haven't been any problems. These bumpers are tossed around quite a bit - believe it or not, this YMCA has a very large o-lifter customer base that put all these racks and platforms to great use. I believe that they would stand up to whatever you have to throw at them (the platforms have a rubber siding for the weights - unsure if your gym would have something like that or if you would be dropping them onto concrete) considering the torture we put ours through.

Best of luck getting a hold of them.

Alex.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #32
Ron Murray

Profile:

I'd love to get my hands on some of those Troy colored steel insert plates and try them out, I've been considering several others that I have actual experience with and I just flat out cannot make up my mind.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #33
Paul Poterek

Profile:

Ron,

I'll talk to the Orlando Play It Again Sports and with their permission, I'll try send out a sample 35# bumper. The store is on West Colonial the phone is (407) 445-6633. If they give me the affirmative, I will let you know when they arrive so you can head up and try them out.

Although I'm biased they really are a phenomenal bumper and I'm really proud of the quality uand craftsmanship we're getting from our factory on these plates.

It's redundant, but I'll say it again, you will not find a better colored bumper product on the market.

Please shoot me your e-mail so I can get you the tracking you need to know when they'll arrive.

Best regards,
Paul J. Poterek
Troy Manager
paul.poterek@troybarbell.com

Last edited by Paul Poterek; 07-21-2010 at 02:23 PM..
Old 07-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #34
Tyler Sullivan

Profile:

I, like Ron, am in the market to buy bumpers. I'm considering Rogue and Wright but would love to get my hands on a pair of these bumpers to try out... Any help here Paul in the Milwaukee, WI area?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #35
Paul Poterek

Profile:

Good morning Tyler,

I apppreciate the interest but unfortunately we've not got anything heading that direction presently that I can add a sample to.

Fortunately, whichever plate you choose among ours or the aforementioned will serve you well.

Best regards,
Paul J. Poterek
paul.poterek@troybarbell.com
Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #36
Tyler Sullivan

Profile:

Do you have a dealer in Milwaukee?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #37
Paul Poterek

Profile:

Not presently.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #38
Mary Ann Rigney

Profile:

We just got a set of 25 lb bumpers and a 10 lb kettlebell from them (they sent them to my affiliate for free to try out!!). The kettlebell (although really too light for anyone here to use) seems good quality and the design is similar to our Ader ones. It's not one of the crappy cheap ones with an uncomfortable handle.

We haven't used the plates much, but they seem like they are good quality as well. My members all think they are cool since they are yellow and the rest of our plates are black! They seem to bounce a little more than our other ones (Hi Temp), but I think if you put more than one set of plates on, they wouldn't bounce as much.

I don't see any reason why their equipment wouldn't hold up, even under CrossFit-like conditions, but I'll post again if we happen to have any problems. I think this place is awesome just for sending us some stuff to try out, so will definitely consider ordering from them in the future. It's cool that they believe in their product enough to send so many people equipment to try out...you don't find that a lot any more, and I have found that some vendors we used to do business with have had a massive decline in quality over the past couple years.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #39
Shannon Kissling

Profile:

Just saw these plates posted on FB. We are a military affiliate on Ft. Meade and we'd love to test out some of your plates! We could definitely put them through the ringer! We are always looking to add to our plates and are currently looking to replace some of the hi-temp ones we have. Almost everything in our box has been donated by members so when we do buy equipment, it has to be great stuff! Please consider us if at all possible!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #40
Duane Bennett

Profile:

Paul,

I looked on the Troy Barbell site and couldn't find any information on the colored bumpers.

Are there any pictures of the new bumpers?
How will they be priced in comarison to the black bumpers?
Are they currently available or are you still in the process of distributing to dealers?

On a related note, can anyone (Paul included) comment on the Troy light commercial bar (1-AOB-1200)? How does it compare to the Rogue Bar and to just a generic bar purchased from a sporting goods store?

For what it is worth to others, I recently bought two Troy kettlebells and am very happy with them.