CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Kyle Clayton

Profile:
Thinking about getting NSCA certification

Any advice from people who've been through it?

I'm leaning towards the CSCS even though I understand the test is harder. Unless someone confirms that's it's WAY harder than the CPT cert, I'd rather go for that one since I have a BA already.

What study materials are must-buys, and how long did you study for the test before you were confident you'd pass? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Rebecca B Rogers

Profile:
Re: Thinking about getting NSCA certification

I just decided to take the test a month or so ago! I'm a little worried because I don't have a sport science background (I have a Master's in mechanical engineering), but I played soccer all through high school and college and have been exposed to all kinds of training. It's something I'm really interested in. Have you gone to the NSCA website? So far all I bought was the Essentials of S&C textbook. I'd love to hear some advice from other people as well!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Kyle Clayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca B Rogers View Post
I just decided to take the test a month or so ago! I'm a little worried because I don't have a sport science background (I have a Master's in mechanical engineering), but I played soccer all through high school and college and have been exposed to all kinds of training. It's something I'm really interested in. Have you gone to the NSCA website? So far all I bought was the Essentials of S&C textbook. I'd love to hear some advice from other people as well!
Yeah the site was slightly helpful but didn't have any practical advice.

My degree isn't in sports science either but I've been reading up on the subject for a few years now. I've seen a lot of NSCA certified trainers (CPT I believe) that make me feel if they can pass, so can I. Some trainers are complete jokes.

Let me know how your progression is going. I'll probably pick up the book fairly soon.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

All you need is "essentials of strength training and conditioning"

I'll probably get mine soo too as well heh
Old 07-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Sunny Norwood

Profile:

Human Kinetics offers an online CSCS Review. I took it to get CEUs for my athletic training cert. It was a good and thorough review, especially if you need more prodding to study. I didn't take the test back then and now I'm kicking myself because of it. I feel like I've been out of the field forever despite being involved in the fitness activities.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Duane Bennett

Profile:

Kyle,

I haven't taken the CPT, but I would guarantee it is much easier than the CSCS. I'm not saying the CSCS is overly difficult, but I believe the CPT is more on par with other "personal trainer" certs - it just happens to be given by a reputable organization. You can get by with just the textbook, but getting a practice exam would probably be beneficial just to ensure you're ready and give you an idea of the difficulty level of the questions.

What are you getting the cert for? Self knowledge? Hoping to train others? Career switch? The CSCS will be much more appreciated if you're looking for a job, but if you just want a credential to train a few people the CPT is more than adequate. You might also look into the USAW Sports Performance Coach.