CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Brandon Duensing

Profile:
Rope, sleds, tires??

So I need to find these things best places to look?? I'm trying to make a sled I can pull with a harness and also detach and pull the sled with rope...looking for very large diameter rope, about 2"-3" or the size of a human wrist
Old 12-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Nathan Simpson

Profile:
Re: Rope, sleds, tires??

There is a place around here called Tractor Supply. They have the rope big enough. I got my tire from a local rock quary off of one of their machines. They gave it to me for free. Happy hunting
Old 12-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Tire stores are a good place to find used tires. They'll often let you have them for free since they have to dispose of them for a fee otherwise.

A cheap alternative for a drag sled: twenty feet of cheap nylon rope and a car/truck tire. You can put cement in the tire for added resistance.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Samy Daghir

Profile:

A solid sled that you can use on pavement if you really want:

-Go on craigslist.com and patiently wait for either skis or a snowboard to appear in the FREE listings, pick it/them up from the previous owner asap before I get to the deal before you.
-Cut board or skis in half and attach (with metal clamps and nylon strapping or however you want as long as you make sure no part protrudes on the glide portion of the board) to a milk crate or plastic bin that is robust enough to handle a true Crossfit style beating.
-Tie the rope through the milkcrate sides at least two inches lower than center mass on the side of the sled where the front of the snowboard/skis are and make sure it won't come loose (or your going to land on your teeth).
-You don't even really need a true harness, you can use two or three belts and make a solid enough shoulder strap system to drag that sled around anywhere. Wearing a backpack on your chest and using cordage to tie the straps together around your upper back also works for a pretty comfy fit as far as sled dragging shirts go.
-Weigh some rounded non-sharp rocks so you have an appropriate load and between 5-10 individual stones

You are in business
a nasty workout to try: fill the crate with 5 roughly even rocks (minimum number)and line up a 100m sprint lane.
Sprint/Drag 20m and then drop a rock
Drag 20 m and repeat
Continue until you are at the 100m line with an empty sled, lose the vest and perform bear crawls out x run back to the crate as you collect each rock and return it to your sled's bin (sadistic suicides).
Once your rocks are back in the bin take off and drag it for a final 100m from hell. Tough training and it costs nothing but a gut check

I think some of the best gear is the stuff that costs nothing and forces creativity in training... makes for some of the best workouts I think.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Russell Moore

Profile:

I built a prowler sled out of an old military bunk bed frame and some other odds and ends laying around my shop..... I bought both my 2" and 3" manila and nylon ropes at a tools surplus shop... Tires I picked up for free at a local tire shop, that specializes in heavy equipment.. I tell ya although I love my prowler sled, we still use the basic sled I built forever ago.. It started out as a grader for my yard when I first built my house... It's an old peace of chain link fence and old tire and rim... It's heavy and grips the ground which makes even more fun!! Both can be used on grass pr pavement.... I see if I can find a pic of the older sled...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0042.JPG
Views:	852
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	3003  
Old 12-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Pat Harker

Profile:

I bought a wheel barrow tub and attached an eye bolt to it. I then attached a carabiner to it and can interchange a rope or a harness. I also bought some sand bags from Home Depot.

I will try to find pictures and post them. Whatever you do have fun with both the exercises and the making of the sled. I put the kids in the tub of the wheelbarrow and pulled them around the yard when I first built it.

Paddy
Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Duane Bennett

Profile:

What type of harness/belt are most people using to pull sleds and tires?

Has anyone tried a deer-pull harness? They are only around $20 from Cabelas or other hunting suppliers (much cheaper than harnesses from fitness suppliers), but I have no idea how comfortable or durable they are.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
Pat Harker

Profile:

Duane that is exactly what I use is an old deer stand safety harness. They are plenty strong. They are made for keeping you in the tree, so they are strong enough for pulling.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
Russell Moore

Profile:

I use an old weight lifting belt.... Since I've gotten my midsection up to par and don't really use it for lifting anymore, I didn't want it to got to waste....
Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
Duane Bennett

Profile:

Pat,

I was actually talking about a harness used for pulling game out of the woods. Something like this...
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...006000_425-6-8 (WFS)

I'm glad you mentioned the stand harness, though, because I was curious about those as well. I would think these would be more durable and comfortable than the pull harness, though considerably more expensive.

Would a military surplus store carry anything?

Sorry to turn the subject to the other end of the pulling device.