CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #21
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: So I started my ACE personal fitness trainer class today...

Thanks Sara, I keep flip flopping with the decision of NSCA, ISSA, and ACSM in past months until I have enough saved up to start any. When the time comes, I might be PM-ing you.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #22
Duane Bennett

Profile:

It sounds like the fire dept needs to review their creditials. Personally, I can't think of any time when ACE was considered one of the top 3 certifications. This isn't a blanket statement criticizing all ACE trainers - some are very capable and knowledgeable - but the certification exam has always been extremely easy and certain fitness positions won't even accept it as a job requirement. If you only need a piece of paper showing certification it is one route to take, but if you're looking to educate yourself you will likely be disappointed. I'm a little rusty on my certification knowledge, but I would put the following organizations above ACE: NSCA, ACSM, and ISSA or AFAA. NSCA and ACSM may have their faults, but they are still the most highly recognized and respected certifications.

All that being said, if you have already started studying for the ACE exam just chug away with the material and memorize it for the exam. If you really want to make it a learning experience and increase your debating credibility you could keep a separate notebook with your points of contention along with articles/studies that support your opinions.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #23
Dan Donche

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
Speaking in terms of career opportunity, does one make you more employable than another?
That's all subjective, I think. It would depend on the employer really. I've talked to a lot of Globo Gyms that all said with pride "All our trainers are NSCA or ACE certified." And some of them, like Duane mentioned, don't think highly of some certs over others. I can't see that an ISSA cert wouldn't be highly regarded anywhere you went (like most it's pretty bodybuilding-centric, I think, due to "Dr. Squat's" influence), but some employers might mistake the "non-NCCA accreditation" as a bad thing. Ultimately, they all have strengths and weaknesses, and I think it's like fitness: what is your goal?

ACSM requires actual hands-on time, you could even look into National Personal Training Institute (http://www.nationalpersonaltraininginstitute.com WFS), which is an actual school, if you think that complete hands-on will be most beneficial to you; you can go with NSCA for serious name recognition, NASM for more corrective exercise knowledge, or any of the other accredited institutions for the paper aspect/insurance.

Oh, another thing I might add about ISSA, and I'm not trying to sway anyone one way or the other, just listing more options to consider--they seem to have the most specialty certs out there. (This may or may not be a bad thing.)

Last edited by Dan Donche; 10-13-2008 at 12:21 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #24
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Go with the nsca cscs or cpt if you dont have a bachelors degree. I think the textbook(the s&c 3rd edition) covers all areas well and gives you a good starting knowledge to go off of.

I didn't want to get an ace certification because everyone has one around here. The test isn't hard enough for my liking, and most ace trainers around here don't know jack when it comes to strength and conditioning.

They put their clients on machines, yes thats right, machines. Majority healthy, no injuries to speak, yet they make them use poor *** rom on free weight exercises and its no wonder these individuals don't get in shape faster. It amazes me these trainers still have a job so to speak.

I'm counting on my expanding knowledge and ability to communicate and work with others effictively since my degree is in teaching phys ed. and health.

And if you think about it, the ace certification costs almost as much as the cpt and cscs, so why not go for a better organization and challenge yourselves? Regardless of whatever you get, try to go above and beyond and keep learning!!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #25
Adam Kayce

Profile:

I'm pretty clear, having twenty years of interest in athletics, anatomy, and the like, that all the knowledge I want I'm going to gain through CrossFit certs.

My question is, in order to open a box of my own, am I going to need some other cert in order to get insurance? (I'm leaning towards the ISSA, based on all I've read in the forum)
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #26
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

There was a thread I read recently where someone did get insurance without a cert.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...ht=USAW&page=2

I like ISSA and NSCA stuff for the most part. I've heard NASM has a lot of corrective exercise knowledge and I can't remember what I researched on ACSM. I don't remember the rest impressing me besides CHECK, Polinquin, and Pavel but they are sort of in a different league and niche, especially $$ wise.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #27
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer View Post
Go with the nsca cscs or cpt if you dont have a bachelors degree. I think the textbook(the s&c 3rd edition) covers all areas well and gives you a good starting knowledge to go off of.
I would agree with Aaron. I thought the textbook helped lay a groundwork for my future knowledge garnering. There is some stuff that obviously goes against what I know is true, but it is easy to look past that and use the book/certification for good.

No man is too dumb that I can't learn something from him.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #28
Leslie Powell

Profile:

I've had NASM and let it lapse in favor of NSCA-CSCS, which is probably the best cover-your-*** cert along with ACSM. None of them are particularly good...just get one so it's got your back, and then learn from Xfit, Rippetoe, etc. The CSCS test is hard, no doubt about it, but I'd argue that I've learned a billion times more from Xfit and the Xfit journal (and Starting Strength, and Ross Enamait, Westside, etc.)

NASM is more oriented towards physical therapy type stuff (more foam rolling, etc.) but if you've done any real reading you're not going to learn much from it. What you get in the cert is pretty much bastardized and simpliefied to the point of being useless.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #29
Todd A Ferguson

Profile:

Hi All
Just to throw another cert. out there that I have not seen mentioned they are a good group to belong to much better than ACE (sorry not dushing any-one) the link is safe http://www.ideafit.com/
We know a portion of the information given at these courses are questionable but without the licence you don't get insurance so use the cert. as your ticket to get out there & teach others. I just re-did my cert. I must say things are changing but they still don't like talking about low-carb or Paleo.... itís just too left wing for some people to grasp (just like dead lifts & deep squats)
On the point of Carbohydrates, Fat & Protein. The body breaks everything down into its base form. This is done through the liver which is the primary organ responsible for the metabolism of Carbohydrates, Fat & Protein while the Brain is the 'nerve' centre of the body your Liver is considered the 'chemical brain' of the body.
Basically Carbohydrates are stored as Glycogen & the excess as Fat. Fat is oxidised parts are converted to Acetyl CoA which is used in the Citric acid cycle (Carbohydrate & Amino acid metabolism) & intern used in the production of ATP (energy) I Hope Robbie this helps your understanding of where the whole Carbohydrates /Fat relationship comes together.
Regarding the 20min issue Coach G-does explain the chemical pathways of energy very well in one of the journals (don't remember which one sorry)

Nutrition is still in its infancy as science things that are correct today might not be correct tomorrow. We still don't understand enough about how this chemical soup works, thankfully there are people out there pushing the envelope & learning through trial & error how it all fits together.
(I am writing this before my first double espresso so I apologise for any mistakes) Stepping down from my soap box
Old 10-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #30
Adam Kayce

Profile:

I just found on another thread ( http://www.board.crossfit.com/showpo...86&postcount=9 ) where Becca B. talks about getting insurance with a membership to IDEA, in case some folks are interested in that.

(She went on to get her CSCS, by the way, which sounds like a good idea, too.)