CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #71
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Re: New WOD Recording Tool Just Launched/Beyond the Whiteboard (threads merged)

Jonathan,

Just a quick note to say thanks for your prompt response to my queries and to say pay you the highest compliment I think that I can give, namely that, I was about to enter my details for a lift, saw one a bit higher than mine and went back into the gym to beat it. Haha.

Great stuff. Looking forward to you entering into a dialogue with Crossfit Endurance so that I can easily select their workouts too. I have to say that they are not easily transferrable at the moment.

Matt
Old 01-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #72
Matthew Townsend

Profile:

Jonathan, a couple of questions:
- is there a possibility for me to add in non-CF WoDs? For instance, I did a 60K ride this morning. Is there anyway I can keep track of that in the system? I assume not.
- also, I can't for the life of me work out how to list my body fat numbers, even though the facility is clearly there.

Cheers,

Matthew
Old 01-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #73
Matthew Townsend

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Townsend View Post
Jonathan, a couple of questions:
- is there a possibility for me to add in non-CF WoDs? For instance, I did a 60K ride this morning. Is there anyway I can keep track of that in the system? I assume not.
- also, I can't for the life of me work out how to list my body fat numbers, even though the facility is clearly there.

Cheers,

Matthew
I don't seem to be able to edit my answer so I should add here the answers to my own questions (as is often the case...). I believe you can request WoDs, but I assume that it is unlikely that I can add something like a ride.

And second, the body fat is calculated automatically from inserting waist measurements and so on. Not a particularly flattering logarithm though.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #74
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Awesome resource to have. I've already post all of my previous workouts. Great job!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #75
Ryan Stiefvater

Profile:

Jonathan,

Great work! I am excited to get my full info in and see the full functionality of the site! Would you mind adding a 3 sets of 5 reps of the press, for the starting strength followers? Looks like you have the rest of the SS stuff already there.

Thanks for a great site, and all of the hard work.

Ryan
Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #76
Jonathan Kinnick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stiefvater View Post
Jonathan,

Great work! I am excited to get my full info in and see the full functionality of the site! Would you mind adding a 3 sets of 5 reps of the press, for the starting strength followers? Looks like you have the rest of the SS stuff already there.

Thanks for a great site, and all of the hard work.

Ryan
Ryan, it's under "Shoulder Press 5-5-5"
Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #77
Ryan Stiefvater

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kinnick View Post
Ryan, it's under "Shoulder Press 5-5-5"
Thank you very much!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #78
Derek Franks

Profile:

So I was thinking about something last night. I really like the graphing tool that shows improvement over time. However, if I do a workout with heavier weights, yet slower times, the line on the graph shows me getting slower, when in fact I may have actually improved and significantly increased my power output. At the end of the day, power output is what CrossFit is really about. Consequently my thought was that if somebody has entered their weight and height, it should be relatively straightforward to make a avg power calculation for each workout. Will it be entirely accurate? Of course not - particularly for workouts involving running. But as long as it is consistent, you should be able to track progress pretty accurately.

For example, take a workout that is 20" Box Jumps, Deadlifts, and Pull-ups. Maybe it takes me 12 minutes to do 5 rounds of 20 each with 200# deadlifts. You can compute a rough power output for all of those exercices as long as you know bodyweight. Then next time, if I do it in 12:30 with 220# deadlifts, instead of just knowing that I went slower, I could see my avg power for each workout and whether or not I've actually improved.

Just a thought. You guys may not be interested in implementing something like this, but it would definitely be a cool thing to be able to track.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #79
Jonathan Kinnick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
So I was thinking about something last night. I really like the graphing tool that shows improvement over time. However, if I do a workout with heavier weights, yet slower times, the line on the graph shows me getting slower, when in fact I may have actually improved and significantly increased my power output. At the end of the day, power output is what CrossFit is really about. Consequently my thought was that if somebody has entered their weight and height, it should be relatively straightforward to make a avg power calculation for each workout. Will it be entirely accurate? Of course not - particularly for workouts involving running. But as long as it is consistent, you should be able to track progress pretty accurately.

For example, take a workout that is 20" Box Jumps, Deadlifts, and Pull-ups. Maybe it takes me 12 minutes to do 5 rounds of 20 each with 200# deadlifts. You can compute a rough power output for all of those exercices as long as you know bodyweight. Then next time, if I do it in 12:30 with 220# deadlifts, instead of just knowing that I went slower, I could see my avg power for each workout and whether or not I've actually improved.

Just a thought. You guys may not be interested in implementing something like this, but it would definitely be a cool thing to be able to track.
Derek, we are actually very interested in doing something like that. The reason we have you enter in your weights/reps/etc. is so that we can do these calculations. We are almost done with this functionality and you can expect to see it in action on the site in a few weeks (or less).
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #80
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Jonathan,

Thanks again for creating such a great tool!

The coach at my affiliate made me an admin, so I could help manage our WOD posts, etc.

In trying to create a "continously running clock" WOD, I've found a bit of a snag; the system wants either a maximum time or a set number of rounds, and both of those are a variable in that workout format. Are those all done by posting a high time limit, or would that skew the results data?

Also, in trying a couple different ways of building those WODs, I discovered that the ones I don't want to keep seem to be showing up in the drop-down lists of available WODs in different places on the site, even though for some of them I didn't click the "Finished" button to properly create them. However, even the ones I did create (and discovered the format wouldn't work) aren't on the list of WODs for ForgedFit under the "Edit/Delete" menu.

You might already be aware of these bugs, but if not just wanted to let you know. In the meantime, anyone who looks up the WODs for my affiliate are going to find some weird workouts LOL.