CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Let's get the good guys back

Having read a recent post (worth a read) on the nutrition forum about Robb Wolf's Nutrition Seminar and seeing his comments, "This is part of why I don't check in here much anymore and rarely post..." I feel compelled to throw it out there as to how do we get these sort of guys back involved. I read a couple of similar comments from other big posters and highly intelligent guys and it made me a bit sad.

I see Robb's point but conversely agree with some of the guys who take the approach of questioning stuff and asking for evidence to back stuff up. Questioning is very important but maybe it needs to be done slightly differently???

Please come back Rob and you other guys - you know who you are.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Let's get the good guys back

Amen. There are some questionable posts on the forum at times and I think for newer people, it's helpful if someone with real information can explain why some advice is not correct. If there's only new people here, we may get the typical older information that people believe is accurate, but isn't supported by newer, less accepted info.
Like the "all you have to do is eat less" theory of weight loss.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Tom Brose

Profile:

This is a sore spot with me as well. Really not with people like Robb, but with people who post complaining that the forum isn't what it used to be. I've been involved with CrossFit for over 3 years, and seen a lot of people come and go on the board. When I first posted, I was totally stoked to have people like Jeff Martin respond to me. Now more people would just tell me to do a search.

If you think there aren't enough experts on the board, take it on yourself to share whatever knowledge you may have. Go to the Starting section and answer a few generic posts as your community service. With as much as we all get from this board, thats a pretty small price.

Jamie, sorry for the rant, it really doesn't answer your question, but its been on my mind. I think the fact that Robb posted shows that some of the brightest can be drawn in to worthwhile posts (especially when called out by name).
Old 07-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Tom - I'll try to post a bit more for the beginners what I have learned, that 's a good point. I love the board and like you got a lot from it when starting (I'm in about a year an a half now and continue to learn). As you said I've noticed people saying it's not what it used to be and I'm not saying that, I'm saying let's do what we can to keep the smart guys on board. I wish I was one of the experts - maybe in a few years!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Jaime,

DO you have a link to the thread were RObb said that?

Never mind, google was my friend

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 07-24-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: I hate making newb mistakes and the ADD was acting up again
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Being one of the newer people, I feel like I don't have much to add or the knowledge to explain things. (Or show the research when people demand proof). We are definitely fortunate to have the expertise of people like him or Coach Glassman when we can get it.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:

These forums get lots of traffic = plenty of silly arguments = people with better things to do getting fed up.

I suppose you could exile stupid people and newbies or anyone who won't use available resources, but that would kind of ruin what this place gives to everyone without exception.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Aaron Peterson

Profile:

Its a forum for all new people old people dumb people(ME) and smart people. I think everyone has to see that when posting. You might be right as rain but that doesnt mean you wont be questioned. If you feel strong then let it be or concrete your statement. People shouldnt get discourged because people just dont nod there head every time they speak. If people really have good info stick to it thats why I enjoying coming and reading here, Ive gotten a ton of info and it goes good with my morning ceral.

Moon, Pa crossfiters where are you!?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Wade Smith

Profile:

I miss those super intelligent helpful posters too.

Having said that, I can't help but think there's a bit of a "I'm going to take my toys and go play somewhere else" vibe to it all. Sorry to say that; it just has that feel a bit.

Stick around and make the CrossFit community all it can be with all of us involved. If you/they run off, how do you/they know the "forum-ruiners" (from our CF boards) won't follow you/them to PM or elsewhere?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

The good guys will probably be back once the Debate of Kipping Pullup Vs Deadhang is over.