CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Drew Hahn

Profile:
Tabata Headache

I just tried Tabata front squats on Wed for the first time. I'm pretty strong (my max front squat is 365 lbs), but my cardio is bad, so I was trying to do 8x8 with 65 lbs with 10-second rest intervals. On the 5th set, I got a piercing headache. After I finished, the headache got a lot better, but now it comes back whenever my heart rate goes up. The pain is mostly in the top of my head, but I feel it in my neck, too. It's a dull, pulsing pain. Does anyone know what's going on?

I don't think it's a hydration issue. I drink at least a gallon of milk or water per day. As I mentioned, I'm strong but not in good shape. I'm 5'9", and I weigh 260. Maybe I shocked my system too much?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Andrew Saltz

Profile:
Exclamation Re: Tabata Headache

Drew,

I had the same thing happen -- I did the old 50 GH-situps + Tabata Front squat (@65, I think) + 50 GHS. I felt the headache literally consume my head. I sat for about 40 seconds then finished the set (dumb).

I chalked it up to working out in the early morning, when I normally go after work.

But unlike you, I am fairly good at Cardio (play a lot of sport) but my lifts are fairly low (155 is my max for front squats).

So....yeah. Any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Hahn View Post
I just tried Tabata front squats on Wed for the first time. I'm pretty strong (my max front squat is 365 lbs), but my cardio is bad, so I was trying to do 8x8 with 65 lbs with 10-second rest intervals. On the 5th set, I got a piercing headache. After I finished, the headache got a lot better, but now it comes back whenever my heart rate goes up. The pain is mostly in the top of my head, but I feel it in my neck, too. It's a dull, pulsing pain. Does anyone know what's going on?

I don't think it's a hydration issue. I drink at least a gallon of milk or water per day. As I mentioned, I'm strong but not in good shape. I'm 5'9", and I weigh 260. Maybe I shocked my system too much?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Tabata Headache

try not take such big breaths for valsava. big breath in, short ssst out .. should decrease chest pressure which will lessen carotid pressure.. less intercranial pressure. ( pressure deep in side the brain)
Old 05-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

sorry.. missed a few grammer issues.. and the edit time.

try not taking such big breaths for the valsava.
Just do a big breath in, quick short "ssst" out ..

This should decrease chest pressure which will lessen the carotid pressure and in turn create less intercranial pressure. ( pressure deep inside the brain)
Old 05-31-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
sorry.. missed a few grammer issues..
Grammar.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

nuts.. I am getting a typing tutor
Old 06-02-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
Drew Hahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Saltz View Post
Drew,

I had the same thing happen -- I did the old 50 GH-situps + Tabata Front squat (@65, I think) + 50 GHS. I felt the headache literally consume my head. I sat for about 40 seconds then finished the set (dumb).

I chalked it up to working out in the early morning, when I normally go after work.

But unlike you, I am fairly good at Cardio (play a lot of sport) but my lifts are fairly low (155 is my max for front squats).

So....yeah. Any help?
I'm not sure what it is yet. I got an MRI, but the neurologist didn't see anything wrong. I'm going to talk to her later this week.

I did some searching on the web, and I think I have an exertion headache. A lot of people seem to get them when they strain a lot--Some people get them on the toilet lol. I was completely gassed when I got mine, but I wasn't straining.

I've heard a chiro can help a lot, so I'm going to make an appointment.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
Chet Nunan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
try not taking such big breaths for the valsava.
Just do a big breath in, quick short "ssst" out ..

This should decrease chest pressure which will lessen the carotid pressure and in turn create less intercranial pressure. ( pressure deep inside the brain)
I was having a problem with this - severe headache with the pain shooting down the neck & into the shoulder even. Turned out to be my breathing; a quick & easy fix.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Michael McLeish

Profile:

I have been battling exertional headaches ever since my first "Nancy" WOD in April 2007.

The first time it happened, I got a headache (like you) pretty much every time I got my HR up again. It freaked out my doctor who was sure I had an aneurism. I was pretty sure it was a pinched nerve in my neck/back b/c there was a corresponding stiffness there. After 2 MRIs the medical community shrugged and said 'take it easy' - great advice. Finally my cousin (an MD) suggested acupunture. I was desparate after 3 weeks of this. It worked and I was h/a free for the next six months.

They came back again after I took 2 months off from CF once I started exercising again. High rep OHS again. After some more massage therapy and acupunture it was gone again.

For me it seems to flare up every 3 months or so now, but I can usually get them to go away after about 2 weeks of seeing some therapists. I make sure to warm up slowly and massage my neck (front/back) as I warm up. That seems to do the trick so I can do a WOD.

The headaches for me usually occur starting on the top left side of my head. From what I've been told by my MTs is that there are muscle attachment points there from my neck so tighness in the neck and upperback could be the causes.

If I'm dumb and push through them when they first occur, they will cause me to nearly completely shut down and I get light sensitive and it takes about an hour to pass before I can feel 'normal' again. Again, if I'm smart about it - I just stop the WOD, do some massaging and if it persists, I'm done for the day.

It is a bit of an annoyance but I can manage them now.

I highly recommend seeing someone for an acupunture treatment and a few different massages and see if that helps!

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Deep tissue work on your neck/upper back.

STRETCH.