CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-31-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
Joe Beman

Profile:
I've had a nasty case of elbow tendonitis (golfers elbow, the doc calls it. And I don't even play golf)for a couple of years. Chinups really aggrevate it and pullups just make it sore.

I've decided to do something about it and the doc prescribed 800 mg of ibuprophin 3 times a day. I've been on this for 2 weeks and it's no better. The Ibuprophin makes me feel run down and I have ringing in the ears. So, I'd like to take try new approach.

Anyone here ever beat tendonitis? Does anyone know of any natural alternatives? Is heat or ice better at this point? Please, nobody say "rest for a month"

Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Joe:

Search on golfer's elbow. I've posted recently on my treatment for it. Others have as well.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I've had it in both elbows took me about 12-18 months to get rid of the Left. Right is getting better now ~8 months.

Ice after activity, longer warmup, self massage.

Palms facing away on my pulls is better than facing me, rings better still for less pain on pulls.

That is all I can think of except, rest (I've never been very good at that), good luck
Old 09-01-2006, 02:28 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
You do massage it regularly, don't you?

If not, see http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/14941.html for some advice on how to do it.

Also, try to find out what you are doing wrong (too much too fast, incorrect technique, tightness, etc.) and stop doing it. If you have something like that for "a couple of years" (if I got that correct), you are doing something wrong. Find out what and stop it.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian

"Running injuries are not an act of god." - Tim Noakes - Lore of Running (see http://www.runnersworld.co.za/training/ for more on his 10 laws of running injuries - they certainly apply to other sports, too)
Old 09-01-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
Joe Beman

Profile:
Thanks for the info, guys. The links are good, itseems as though there has been a lot of discussion on this topic in the past. There is a lot of great info in those posts.

As far as the two years, I'm concerned it may be from an injury and damage may have been done. After all, I'm right handed and I have it in my left elbow. I can't remember anything except I hyperextended it a little while snoboarding (or falling).

At any rate, I NEVER rest it. I better not work out for at least a week and see what happens.

Thanks for the info and the links.

At this point, I know ice is good AFTER activity, but is it good to apply heat at night?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Joe:

My golfer's elbow was on my non-dominant side as well. Your right arm is probably stronger than your left, making your left more exposed to the type of overuse that causes golfer's elbow.

After 2 years, there are probably some pretty entrenched tissue changes in your elbow. When that happens, it may require surgery. You need to go see a very good orthopedic sports surgeon and get the best advice. Having it for 2 years, is not normal at all.

I don't think a week is going to help. Try it but after 2 years, probably won't make a difference.

I seem to have gotten rid of mine after 4 months by 2 cortisone shots, electropheresis (spelling?) which is infusion of antiinflammatories by a low level electric current, and forearm strengthening.

I also don't think the ice or heat, at this point is going to help. Some deep tissue work coupled with some of the treatments I mention are probably your next step.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Blow out your knee or your shoulder. That'll give you 4-8 weeks of rest and it'll heal right up. Worked for me ;-)

Ha Ha Only Serious... you *HAVE* to rest it, *NOTHING* else will let your tendons catch up to your forearm flexors. If you are doing pullups on a bar, stop right now and start using rings. Stretching, ice, and NSAIDs are all good, but the critical need is for REST so that the tendons can RECOVER. Otherwise you will end up with tendinosis from your un-recovered bone-to-connective-tissue attachment dying, and that really sucks.

I had medial epicondylitis (golfers/climbers/stubborn-idiots elbow) for 5 years. 2x4 weeks of solid rest and it was gone. I have never gone back to static-grip pullups and I'd suggest that you don't either. The shearing forces on your elbows will destroy them.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Tim:

Interesting...why are rings better? I actually gave myself the golfer's elbow through poor technique on ring dips. I rotated the arms forward and then dipped. Next day, golfer's elbow.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Bill Russell

Profile:
Elliot is correct, there are a lot of posts on this subject.

I've had the problem on and off for years. I recently aggravated the problem doing the Armstrong Pullup program. The chins and certain pushups really waste my elbows, but pullups seem to be fine.

The Ace forearm brace really works well, wearing it every waking hour for a few weeks, as tight as you can, will definitely help your recovery.

Sorry for the blurry pic, but you get the idea!

BR
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/29554.jpg
Old 09-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Rings (free rotation) are better for pullups (IMHO) because they don't shear across the joint's natural range of motion.

Like you said, you used bad form and got bad results on your ring dips -- difference with a bar is, no amount of good form seems to change the outcome in terms of stress across the epicondyle. I can give myself a twinge on the rings, but if I pay attention and maintain a neutral grip, even weighted pulls are pain-free.

Just MHO as always.