CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
Matt Nichols

Profile:
Not a kid anymore...

This feels like a confessional but at 33 I'm feeling the pain of WOD's ALOT. I'm in decent shape now, but I used to be in great shape but am now looking to get back into it and am having big problems. Mainly it takes forever to recover! My situation is that I rarely sleep all night. (1yr old, 3yr old, and a FF medic). I have time to work out, but when I do I'm dying for a couple days. I'm looking for ideas here. Starting Glutamine for recovery, (advice from friend any thoughts?), Glucosamine for joint pain (hype? or not? other ideas?), and protein. I also want to know how to maximize testosterone b/c I hear that stress and lack of sleep hurt T levels. I need some knowledge and guidance here. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Dave Gibbs

Profile:
Re: Not a kid anymore...

Matt,
you may want to check out the Gant Grimes hybrid thread. I am 39 and felt the same a couple of months back, particularly after long metcons.
Mate, we are getting a bit older and lack the quality recovery time due to all that life throws at us.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I have three kids under the age of six so I know very well what lack of sleep can do to you. If this is a new way of working out for you, it may take up to a month for your body to catch on and start generating energy instead of leaving you sapped. Whenever I switch over to this kind of training from doing something else, I spend about a month walking around in zombie mode, needing a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. Sleep is one of the most important parts of recovery and if you aren't getting enough sleep at night, you really need to get more during the day.

However, as a parent (and a FF medic), that's not very practical.

So, you may want to cut back on the intensity of your workouts, especially the power moves. Do a scaled back version for a couple of weeks and add in some Tabata runs at the end to stimulate those anaerobic conditioning pathways without completely taxing yourself. Gradually work yourself back up to your current level. Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean its the best way to work out just now. I would ramp up a bit slower or else you risk burning out and it doesn't sound like you can afford to burn out just now.

Don't worry, I'm not in any way suggesting that you can't or shouldn't pursue reaching a higher level, it just sounds like the level you are working at right now is a bit more than your lifestyle can handle recovery-wise. Give yourself some time to adapt before moving on.

Also, I find that protein is very important in my overall recovery. I take 40 g of protein in a whey protein supplement after my workouts and it helps both with the fatigue and minimizes soreness.

Good luck.

PS. The Tabata runs I'm talking about are not the 20 second effort, 10 second rest. There's a second Tabata method of doing cardio with a 40 second all out effort followed by 2 minutes of rest (or moderate pace). It allows for more work to be done and is great at increasing your endurance. You can do this by sprinting 40 seconds and jogging or walking 2 minutes, or use any other cardio machine (rower, bike, elliptical, etc.) for the same effect. You do 8 sets of these (basically 20 minutes).

Last edited by Sara Fleming : 08-06-2008 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Add clarification about tabata runs
Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Paul Glasheen

Profile:

Matt, I'm 38. When I started doing the Daily WOD early in the spring I found myself feeling sort of burnt out and tired and I have pretty good sleep habits(no kids etc.). I have found that I recovered better with a 3 days on two days off, then two days on and one day off. Might sound confusing but if you look at it on the calendar it will keep you on track mostly with the daily WOD if that is what you are following. Currently I'm back on the 3 on 1 off routine but I'm ready to switch back to my other routine if I start feeling too drained. You can also do a search here for "active recovery" and for a way to take a day or two off without feeling like a slacker.
I'm making whey isolate protein shakes in the morning and at night. I'm taking glucosamine and chondroitin, seems like it's helping with joint soreness. My only "scientific" evidence is that I seemed to be more sore when I was off it for two weeks when I ran out. I'm also using a product from Hammer Nutrition called "Recoverite" after my workouts. It's a protein, carb, blend with glutamine and some other stuff that's supposed to be good for recovery, I'm a big beleiver in that companies products(no affiliation here) and have used them for years without any problems. As I recall there is also a way to test your morning resting heart rate and use it as a bellweather to know when you are getting overtrained. You'd have to google that one, I don't remember the details. Good luck, get some good sleep!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nichols View Post
This feels like a confessional but at 33 I'm feeling the pain of WOD's ALOT. I'm in decent shape now, but I used to be in great shape but am now looking to get back into it and am having big problems. Mainly it takes forever to recover! My situation is that I rarely sleep all night. (1yr old, 3yr old, and a FF medic). I have time to work out, but when I do I'm dying for a couple days. I'm looking for ideas here. Starting Glutamine for recovery, (advice from friend any thoughts?), Glucosamine for joint pain (hype? or not? other ideas?), and protein. I also want to know how to maximize testosterone b/c I hear that stress and lack of sleep hurt T levels. I need some knowledge and guidance here. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gibbs View Post
Matt,
you may want to check out the Gant Grimes hybrid thread. I am 39 and felt the same a couple of months back, particularly after long metcons.
Mate, we are getting a bit older and lack the quality recovery time due to all that life throws at us.
That's why I made the program. I'm 33, have two kids (1 and 4), work a bit, sleep little, and don't do the right things to recover (unless beer, ice cream, and cheesecake are recovery aids). You can optimize your GH/T levels by trying to get at least 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep (I haven't done that in years) and by doing squats, deadlifts, and intense metcons. Cut down on sugars and other stressors that will contribute to insulin and cortisol production, respectively.

It is what it is, man. Don't chain yourself to 3/1 if you're not recovering. I have made my best gains with four training days per week.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Michael Cooley

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Not a kid anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
It is what it is, man. Don't chain yourself to 3/1 if you're not recovering. I have made my best gains with four training days per week.
This is so important that (like everything else that Professor Gant writes) it bears repeating, and it's true across all experience levels -- indeed, it goes to the very heart of the principles outlined in Rippetoe's books: we don't get stronger by lifting heavy weights, we get stronger by recovering from lifting heavy weights. His whole point (at least, one of his points) is that training should be guided by your ability to recover, and he divides trainees into novice, intermediate and advanced categories -- not based on our strength or skill levels, but on our ability to recover.

The novice can recover within 48 hours and be ready for new PRs. Why? Because he's not stressing the body that hard. Note that these time periods aren't set in stone. Some may require only two days, while others will recovery fully in three days.

The intermediate needs a week to fully recover, and must balance his workload accordingly to allow some recovery to creep into his/her weekly training schedule (think: light day). Again, Rippetoe tips his hat to the reality that most of us will organize ourselves around the 7-day calendar week, but acknowledges that an intermediate athlete could just as easily train on a 6 or 8 day cycle.

The advanced athlete may train 6 days a week (sometimes twice a day) and fully recover only once a month (or even less frequently). How can he/she train so frequently? By having achieved a level of fitness that permits such a heavy workload when balanced with sufficiently developed methods of recovery,

After years of semi-stagnant training on a 4x/week schedule (Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun), I changed to three days a week about a year ago (Sun/Tues/Thurs). Since then I've had fewer backaches and have set two lifetime PRs in the C&J and consecutive meets.

What did I learn? Like Professor Gant, I work long hours, have (three) kids and just can't get the rest/nutrition/etc necessary to recover faster. That extra training session meant training back-to-back on two consecutive days, and I wasn't recovering enough from my Sat/Sun workouts to be ready to progress when next week's microcycle came around.

Generally speaking, intensity of training isn't the problem (especially for the people who frequent this board). If you're not progressing, look first to your recovery. If you're not recovering sufficiently to support your training load, you have to either reduce your load or increase your recovery. It really is as simple as that.

mpc

P.S. According to Gary Valentine, the great coach Joe Mills used to say -- when talking about his 20/20 lifting program -- that three days was better than four, and two was better than five. Food for thought.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

After age 30, it's about getting more from less. You may need to do a 1 on, one off approach and gradually work up to the 3 on one off routine
Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Yeah. You can't train as if you have nothing else in your life unless you have nothing else in your life, eh?

I overdid it, and gave myself a persistent and nasty case of elbow and rotator cuff tendinitis that's taking forever to resolve. (I also tried to keep a honed edge of fitness during a year of incredible life and familial stress. Not a good idea! My body's paying me back now.)

So my suggestion is to adopt a reduced training schedule. Don't do 3 on/1 off. You can push a little harder on your training days if you give yourself sufficient time to recover. LISTEN to your body. Properly titrated, you will have MORE energy for your daily life.

Nutrition: really ditch the processed foods: most breads, crackers, frozen meals, premade anything. Eat a lot of vegetables, healthy fats, good quality animal protein, especially fish. If you take only ONE supplement, make it a good quality fish oil.

Susie
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

I'm 31 this month, and went through the pain of getting back in shape when I was 29 via CF. I'm also after 1 week of the hybrid program, PRing and not feeling the pain I did during the first week. This is your first post, so I have no idea how long you've been doing the WODs. If you are just starting out - you weren't even close to in shape as you will be after you are in CF shape, and until you adapt to the workload that CF imposes you will feel like crap. Rest when you need it.

You didn't mention your strategy for fueling the fire (i.e. nutrition). I don't care who you are, you can't fulfill your potential eating crap, and you won't recover well eating crap.

Nutrition is the basis for everything, make sure that is in order first.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Matt Nichols

Profile:

Thanks for this awesome information and support! I'm really seeing that I may need to just go to a less frequent schedule. The advice on nutrition and supplements are great, and I'm working on getting the family towards higher protein and slower, lower carbs. I've only one more question: I've been working out for years and consider myself relatively versed in all of the jargon, but what is a metcon? I used the search function but I still can't wrap my head around it. Regardless, the lesson I'm learning in all this be it nutrition, rest and work is quality, not quantity. Thanks so much!