CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
Joshua Gorman

Profile:
The Box or my own garage

I recently started crossfitting at my local box and really love the intense, diverse workouts, however, in the last three weeks I have only been able to get in about 8 workouts because of my work schedule and their available training times.

So my question is, aside from losing the competitive drive of performing the WODs alongside several others, what will I miss by setting up my own garage gym?

I have a three car garage with bikes, dirtbikes, kids power wheels etc. in but still have at least a 12X16' area to set up a gym. I have priced equipment packages from Rogue and really like the Warrior package but I would substitute the climbing rope for some plyo boxes for now.

Thoughts?

How many of you used to go to the box and now work out at home?

Thanks for the info!

Josh
Old 03-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Hunter Lea

Profile:
Re: The Box or my own garage

I went 3 months solid at an affiliate and then went off to college. I have 2-4 people to work out with, if and when they show up. I work out at our meager facility at school.

Go to the box when you can. It's fun, puts you in a good learning environment, and gives you that competitive drive (but you know all that). I can't afford affiliate fees in the area, but I manage to pull $10-$15 I need for a drop-in fee when I have time (once-a-week-ish). Keeps me motivated and instructed.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Peter Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Gorman View Post
I recently started crossfitting at my local box and really love the intense, diverse workouts, however, in the last three weeks I have only been able to get in about 8 workouts because of my work schedule and their available training times.

So my question is, aside from losing the competitive drive of performing the WODs alongside several others, what will I miss by setting up my own garage gym?

I have a three car garage with bikes, dirtbikes, kids power wheels etc. in but still have at least a 12X16' area to set up a gym. I have priced equipment packages from Rogue and really like the Warrior package but I would substitute the climbing rope for some plyo boxes for now.

Thoughts?

How many of you used to go to the box and now work out at home?

Thanks for the info!

Josh
Hey, Bro - the answer seems pretty clear if I'm reading your post correctly - if you're averaging less than 3 workouts/month at the affiliate, you need to set up at home ASAP in my opinion. Workouts at home are MUCH to be preferred over no workouts at the affiliate.

Who knows, maybe you can induce some friends to work out with you at your home gym and preserve the competition that way - to the extent you find you truly need it to stay motivated, which you may not.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

does your box have open gym times? If so why not go to the box and do the wod's on your own.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Joshua Gorman

Profile:

No, unfortunately they don't. They have "classes" on M/W/F at 4:30 and 5:30, and T/TH at 4:30/5:30/6:30. They also have morning classes that I tried but I was the ONLY person there and as a dentist, I couldn't go to work after some of the grip intensive workouts...my hands shook for the first hour or so. So, it is a problem for me getting out of the office in the afternoons on a regular basis and I am hoping to get my garage converted in the next few weeks and just follow the WOD's from the main page. My brother has said he will be able to come over and workout in the evenings as well, so I probably won't be alone ALL the time.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
John Jaeckel

Profile:

I had the same dliemma you did and went out and supplemented a lot of gear I already had with a bunch of stuff and now I'm pretty much fully equipped at home.

I don't know if I agree (at all) with the guy who said workouts at home beat the box. At my box, they kick your a$$ in terms of the challenge and the competition, and I have a hard time duplicating that at home. Plus, I still need some coaching on moves/lifts from time to time, so I miss that.

That said, I like training a) with a bit more of a strength bias, and b) programming for myself.

And in terms of convenience, you can not beat it.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Ryan Ragona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
I don't know if I agree (at all) with the guy who said workouts at home beat the box.
He said workouts at home beat no workouts at the box. I misread it the first time too.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ragona View Post
He said workouts at home beat no workouts at the box. I misread it the first time too.
Ahhhhhh, OK, my bad
Old 03-19-2010, 03:59 AM   #9
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

I don't workout at a box, you gotta get tuition on the important stuff. If times the issue not money I'd book in a personal once a week to make sure tehnique looks good.

Maybe get the 2-4 guys you choose to workout with to join the private once a week to split the price. But whatever get input. IMHO it's vital.

Otherwise just make sure you;ve got a motivated mofo to train with. I grabed a young buck who is stillin school, has the time and motivation he definately pushes me.

Find a friends kid or something?

Sean
Old 03-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Joshua Gorman

Profile:

Thanks for the input fellas. I think I have made up my mind. I am going to start building my garage gym, and like Sean suggested, I'll try to pop in once in a while to get instruction on form etc. for the oly lifts.

Just the feedback I was looking for...wait, it probably wasn't going to take much to convince me to drop some coin on my garage.

I'll post up pics as soon as I get things going.

Josh