CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Emily Mattes

Profile:
2009 & 2010 Crossfit Games steroid testing?

Did the results of the steroid testing for the 2009 Games ever come out? Was any procedure ever specified for testing or any documentation made of whether or not it was followed?

Are we going to see testing at the 2010 Games? Will the Sectionals and Regionals be tested as well? If I'm not mistaken, the time from May to July would be enough for anything in the system to clear, and with the sheer amount of prize money that's on the line it would be pretty crucial to make sure competitors are clean if you're marketing the competition as steroid-free (especially if you're a steroid-free competitor!).
Old 12-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Richard Joy

Profile:
Re: 2009 & 2010 Crossfit Games steroid testing?

Please take this with a grain of salt, because it definitely falls into the category of "my understanding of it is..."

The testing in 2009 was a urine sample based test, and everyone who competed was tested. As far as the results go, I don't know for sure, but since it was stated that anyone who failed the test would be disqualified, and there don't seem to be any mysterious disqualifications, I conclude that everyone passed.

I think that blanket testing is probably too expensive to do at the sectional level, since there will be so many competitors, but random testing could be feasible. I won't be surprised if I'm asked to pee in a cup in March. I'll be even less shocked if I get tested at regionals (aside from being shocked that I actually MADE IT to regionals), and I just assume that if I were to make it to Aromas, I'd be tested with everyone else.

Even if every single competitor were tested, from regionals on up, there could still be someone who slips through. The results of any steroid test cannot be conclusively read as "this person doesn't use steroids." The best one can hope for is "This person hasn't used any drugs that this test identifies in the time it takes for those drugs to clear their system."

I still wholeheartedly support the testing, though. The message is that, for the purposes of the Crossfit Games, using steroids is cheating, similar to how taking a shortcut on the 7K run would have been cheating. There were judges for the run, and there were judges for the steroids, so it seems fair.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
As far as the results go, I don't know for sure, but since it was stated that anyone who failed the test would be disqualified, and there don't seem to be any mysterious disqualifications, I conclude that everyone passed.
I don't know if "Well, they didn't say anything, so it must be OK" passes muster if you want to market the Crossfit Games as a serious athletic competition. There's a level of professionalism in drug-testing in other sports (like USA Weightlifting, or raw powerlifitng associations) that we're not seeing here. For instance, if I look up how drug testing is done in those sports, I can get information on who does them, how often athletes are tested, labs the tests were sent to, how the tests were done, etc, etc. It's much more open-source I guess than the Crossfit procedure, where we were told "People are going to be drug tested"--but beyond that absolutely no information was given. Without laying out to the public the details of the procedure and results how are we supposed to know if anyone was actually drug-tested, or if it was done in a fair and accurate manner? How are sponsors supposed to know? How are we supposed to take HQ's claims seriously?

For instance, drug-testing was same-day, but my understanding is there are no same-day drug tests . . . Seriously, what's going on with the steroid testing? Or shall we accept the Games as a juiced competition?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
I don't know if "Well, they didn't say anything, so it must be OK" passes muster if you want to market the Crossfit Games as a serious athletic competition. There's a level of professionalism in drug-testing in other sports (like USA Weightlifting, or raw powerlifitng associations) that we're not seeing here. For instance, if I look up how drug testing is done in those sports, I can get information on who does them, how often athletes are tested, labs the tests were sent to, how the tests were done, etc, etc. It's much more open-source I guess than the Crossfit procedure, where we were told "People are going to be drug tested"--but beyond that absolutely no information was given. Without laying out to the public the details of the procedure and results how are we supposed to know if anyone was actually drug-tested, or if it was done in a fair and accurate manner? How are sponsors supposed to know? How are we supposed to take HQ's claims seriously?

For instance, drug-testing was same-day, but my understanding is there are no same-day drug tests . . . Seriously, what's going on with the steroid testing? Or shall we accept the Games as a juiced competition?
Why should we accept the Games as a "juiced competition anyway". What I mean is, let's assume in fairness to the participants , that they are all clean. They are all outstanding, fit , hard working people. Why should we even assume different? I am not saying that there is no performance enhancements being used but let's speak as if they are all innocent and stop being so suspiscious maybe. Until proven guilty...fairly.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Why should we accept the Games as a "juiced competition anyway". What I mean is, let's assume in fairness to the participants , that they are all clean. They are all outstanding, fit , hard working people. Why should we even assume different? I am not saying that there is no performance enhancements being used but let's speak as if they are all innocent and stop being so suspiscious maybe. Until proven guilty...fairly.

Because it has been confirmed that at least one past Games competitor (Welbourne) and at least two certification coaches (Simmons and Tate) have used performance enhancing drugs.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Because it has been confirmed that at least one past Games competitor (Welbourne) and at least two certification coaches (Simmons and Tate) have used performance enhancing drugs.
And because (even in the absence of those cases) you want to keep PEDs from even gaining a tiny foothold in the sport. Keeping PED use from becoming a problem is a hell of a lot easier than stopping it once it's already a problem.

Frankly, in this day & age, - and with as taxing as the Crossfit Games are - I think it's perfectly sensible to assume that PED use will be very compelling to some of the athletes, perhaps especially considering the aggressive cuts that happen after day one. It's not a stretch at all for me to believe that there's at least one athlete out there who is okay with the thought of "After all the time, money, and work that I've put into this, there's no way I'm getting cut after day one." And in goes the needle.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Well, well, well...what took you all so long, eh? 7 months from the Games...

I participated in the testing at Games 2009. There were no positive results. Believe me or not, neither I nor anyone associated with CFHQ will care.

Once again we have the self-righteous arm-chair QB's weighing in from afar, assuming the negative, denying Crossfitters the assumption of goodwill. Much of this was covered in an excruciatingly long thread on this Board.

The Crossfit Games will be held this year in Aromas, the fourth time they have occurred. Games I were little more than a barbecue at which some Crossfitters did three WOD's. Casual would be an understatement. Games II were a bigger deal, but still a small and insular enough event (part of a still small and insular community) that "learning on the fly" is a very accurate description.

Along comes Games III and uh oh, thousands of Crossfitters now exist in a world in which all of a sudden there's money involved. Someone at HQ, looking at this growth says something like "well, maybe we ought to PED test", and PED testing is introduced. Do you have any idea how expensive it was to do the rudimentary testing that occurred at Games III? Have you any idea how much money the Games cost? How much money was LOST in the production of the Games?

Come on...grow up. This is the fifth running of the Games and this year we not only have Regional qualifiers but Sectional as well. To compare and contrast Crossfit and the Crossfit Games in the FOURTH GAMES with international organizations that have existed and run competitions for decades is silly. Might this be where Crossfit and the Games end up, as big as international weightlifting, Track and Field, etc.? Boy, I sure bet the Glassmans hope so, but it ain't there today, and insisting that somehow that represents some sort of nefarious, underhanded, sneaky program that lacks transparency and legitimacy is silly.

It's a four year old project. It will continue to evolve in all ways. IMO you have exactly the wrong approach and the wrong angle if your first inclination is to assume bad faith. Two new coaches have used PED's and that means all competitors, all Crossfit firebreathers are now users? John Wellbourn did not qualify to compete in Games III; he has used PED's as a professional football player by some accounts. Because he was in Games II (and got his butt handed to him) now all competitors are users? THIS is your rationale for malignant skepticism? Really?

Do you have expertise in PED testing at the international level? Willing to offer high quality help in a positive light? My bet is that you would find a receptive ear at CFHQ. The people running the Crossfit Games are trying their best to run them clean, above-board, and well.

Believe me or not.

--bingo
Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post

Let's keep in mind that most of those other organizations have been around for many years, and the ones that haven't are usually run by individuals who were previously involved with the ones that have. The CrossFit Games was only in it's third year in 2009, and that was the first year it performed drug testing on it's competitors. It's also being run by individuals who, to my knowledge, had no real experience organizing a major athletic competition prior to the 2007 Games. How about we give them a few years to shake all the bugs out? In my opinion, they've done a very impressive job elevating the level of organization from year to year, especially with the huge increases in participation. Remember, the 2007 games had less than 75 combined male and female participants. The 2008 games more than doubled that, with over 200 competitors. If you include the regional qualifiers, participation in last years games was probably close to 1000. This year, with the inclusion of sectionals, the number could be triple that. It's pretty impressive for a group of organizers who are basically learning as they go.

Also, "same day testing" means that the testing is done on the same day as the competition, not that the results come back the same day. You may not have noticed, but when you hear about Olympic athletes being disqualified for failing drug tests, it's usually several days after they've won the medal.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 12-29-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Come on...grow up.
Lighten up, Francis. Just as you're entitled to your views, so are we all. There's no need for lectures and smug attitude.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Benjamin Edelen

Profile:

Not that I don't believe the second-hand report of every competitor being clean, but it would contribute to the legitimacy of the "test of the fittest man and woman in the world" claim to publish the laboratory reports rather than just have someone mention that everyone passed. I have no doubt that pretty much everyone is legit, but as was mentioned above that kind of transparency would deter future drug abuse by potential games participants and would discourage the well established community of drug-using "athletes" from getting a foothold at the event.