CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-07-2004, 09:48 AM   #1
Donald Woodson

Profile:

I just ate a can of them, and read the package. 110 calories total, 60 from fat per serving. They say the can holds "about two servings".
Does anyone know if they are counting all of the oil in the can, assuming that I'm slurping down all of the oil along with the fish? Because there's a lot of oil left in the can.
Do sardines even fit into the Paleo or Zone diets?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Sardines fit the Zone if your eating carbs with them, they are paleo, have Omega 3 fatty acids, and olive oil is great for you. Don't worry about this kind of fat. A better question would be how the hell could you eat them!!! Must be an aquired taste.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Thanks Larry. I love sardines! Nice to know they're actually good for me.
You know what they say, -"once you get past the smell..."
Old 07-07-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Donald-

If you have a Trader Joes nearby try their Portuguese Sardines: Bella ola hao...or somethig close to that. Amazing.
Robb
Old 07-07-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
Mark Roughton

Profile:
I was eating a bunch of sardines, mostly for the fish oil (the ones I was getting were packed in water), but I had to give them up recently.

It's a weird story. I was having problems with my ankle...I suspect it's an arthritis-related condition (family history). In researching arthritis, I found out that sardines are high in purine, which can contribute to a uric acid buildup in the joints.

I'm not a nutritionist, so I can't claim that I understand the science all that well. For all I know it might have been a food allergy. All I can tell you is that my ankle had been getting progressively worse over several months, but within about a week after I stopped eating the sardines, it started feeling better.

There are lots of other sources of omega 3s and fish oil that aren't as high in purines, but I think the real lesson is "everything in moderation."
Old 07-07-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Sardines.... magic little silver fish. Great in/on salads, sandwiches, protein shakes, and they keep rust from forming on the chrome on my motorcycle.

I have heard about purine-rich foods and their relation to gout, and perhaps there is a connetion to arthritis for some folks as well.

Listen to your body, if it says no sardines, then you'll just have to use them for bait.

On the same breath, I'll say listen to your body but beware of coming up with correlations until you've tested them well. I once thought I had problems with lactose, because of all the cheese sandwiches I used to eat. Turns out it was the bread, not the cheese. :-)

Brad

Brad
Old 07-07-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
Scott Parker

Profile:
mark-

you're actually correct about the high purine content of sardines, and they could actually lead to an arthritic flare up, especially if you suffer form gouty arthritis (also called gout).

i actually eat sardines and really like them! i buy them in spring water since i usually eat them with a pile of veggies that i sauteed in olive oil, and have learned the hard way what happens when you take in too much fat in one sitting! let's just say it's a good time gone bad!

this is a good example of why, eventhough one may eat healthy, you also need to have variety and mix things up a bit!

scott
Old 07-08-2004, 09:14 AM   #8
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Well my dad and grandfather both suffered from gout from time to time, but I haven't had any symptoms at all (so far). I do appreciate this information, just in case it shows up (I continue to learn a lot from this site).
Robert, I don't have a Trader Joe's nearby, but I will be looking for that brand. Thanks
Old 07-10-2004, 06:32 AM   #9
Donald Woodson

Profile:

AHA! Thank you Mr Wolf.
http://www.farawayfoods.com/bluegalleon.html
Them sound real good.