CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Justin Wolf

Profile:
Squat Check

So today I recorded a set from the squats portion of my SS workout. Set 2 to be exact at 165#. On set 1 I'm not sure what I did wrong but I pulled my quad in my right leg I believe. It hurts some to walk up stairs and have a slight limp. Set 2 actually felt better than set 1 but set 3 not so much.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyV1ipC47Ec
Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Squat Check

Are you squatting high bar or low bar? I can't really tell from the video angle. If it's low bar, tuck your chin rather than looking straight ahead...on the first rep I can see your neck craned up. Also if you're squatting low bar focus more on reaching your hips back and driving them up out of the bottom, rather than just doing a leg press with a barbell on your back. If you're squatting high bar, you should be going quite a bit deeper, and you could probably go a few inches deeper even if it's low bar.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Justin Wolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Are you squatting high bar or low bar? I can't really tell from the video angle. If it's low bar, tuck your chin rather than looking straight ahead...on the first rep I can see your neck craned up. Also if you're squatting low bar focus more on reaching your hips back and driving them up out of the bottom, rather than just doing a leg press with a barbell on your back. If you're squatting high bar, you should be going quite a bit deeper, and you could probably go a few inches deeper even if it's low bar.
It's high bar. I haven't experimented with low bar vs high bar, just always done high bar. Would Rip agree with this assessment of the differences:

http://stronglifts.com/correct-bar-placement-on-squats/ (wfs)

Is it more of a preference or is one better? I believe Rip says low bar is better for beginners?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you're doing SS you should be doing low bar. As that link points out, low bar makes it more hip, hamstring, and glute dominant as opposed to the quad-dominant high bar. Rip's point of view is that if you're an Oly lifter you're already doing front squats, and high bar works essentially those same muscle groups, so you might as well work things differently when you do your back squats. While deadlifts do work your hips, glutes, and hamstrings, it's obviously a different ROM with different hip/back/knee angles and you're not loading them in the eccentric portion of the movement and getting a stretch-reflex action because the deadlift starts with the bar on the floor followed by the concentric portion of the movement.

The hamstring and glute involvement you get from squatting low bar will help your deadlift, which will in turn help your squat, and so on....the lifts compound each other nicely. Not really the case for high bar.

Low bar allows for more weight to be lifted because it involves several large muscle groups which don't play much of a role in high bar, namely your glutes and hamstrings. Your hamstrings can't contribute much to a high bar squat because of the relationship between your hip, back, and knee angles--this stuff is all explained in the SS book if you haven't read it. Anyways, in general more weight used=bigger hormonal response=bigger strength and muscle mass gains. Plus a low bar squat is pretty much the best way to train and develop hip drive.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Douglas Perkins

Profile:

If I may, there are a few things that I see you doing well and few things you could change. Your depth is OK... consistenty to parallel, but if that bar is high on your back you should be going lower. It looks like you are squatting in socks, which is good for training your ankle mobility among other things but when you want to start pushing heavier weight and get lower in the squat, I recommend Oly shoes.

You drop down to the bottom position like a rock; slow your decent, it will help keep your hamstrings engaged. Try box squats to fix this. Look up box squatting with Louie Simmons to learn the benefits of box squatting. You should sit back first and then instead of thinking "down", think "back" to sit into the squat. Then, you will be able get more power from hip-drive. If you continue to squat the way you are without correcting that, it's going to be very hard for you to make gains (personal experience) because hip-drive is where power is generated for the squat. Here is a good video on box-squatting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_Gr...eature=related

And one on hip-drive:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

All in all, good base form, just a few minor adjustments. Slow your decent to match your ascent; eliminate the "bounce" factor, and get the most explosive power from your hips and glutes. Try squatting with a wide stance and test your hip-flexibility, tight hips contribute to bad form.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Justin Wolf

Profile:

Ok well I took video of my 'corrected' form.

This is set 1 & 2 at 135#.

I switched from high bar to low bar squats and after watching the video on hip drive Douglas provided for me, much appreciated, I tried implementing it into my squats.

Tell me what you guys think, need these babies to be perfect.

Set1 (Worse quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8b21FwHO4U

Set2 (I think this is the best view):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hS8x3cY5fY

***After watching these, I believe rep 4 on set 2 is pretty good and what I should be aiming for each time. I believe I took my time on that one and which is why it was good. Let me know. Thanks!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
S.S.

Profile:

Mostly fine, just go deeper. It'll get better as you do more squats.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Douglas Perkins

Profile:

Yeah, 4th rep of 2nd set is your best one. If you watch the bar path, its the only rep where it takes a linear course, down and up. Much better, nice job and keep up the good work.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Justin Wolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Perkins View Post
Yeah, 4th rep of 2nd set is your best one. If you watch the bar path, its the only rep where it takes a linear course, down and up. Much better, nice job and keep up the good work.
Yep that's what I was looking for. To see if the bar was moving in a straight path. And thank you, if I have the hip drive down I owe you alot for that video. Helped a ton so thank you.