CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-20-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
Although I realize the crucial role that both of these movements play in a well-balanced fitness regime, was wondering would everybody's thoughts were if they had to pick one. It seems to me that the front squat seems to be an even more functional movement considering the volume of real life circumstances when the weight is carried in front as opposed to on the shoulders. Maybe I am wrong, just food for thought.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:13 AM   #2
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
i personally like the front squat better. it mimics the recover phase of the clean, and is more applicable to athletics. although you are correct that both have their place.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
In the back squat, keeping the weight over the heels requires more bending at the hips. For me this feels like there is more pressure to round the lower back (bad). I prefer the front squat because my back stays straight and vertical, instead of straight and leaning forward. I might just have bad form; it's entirely possible.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Interseting question. I think that if you asked this at most gyms, the answer would be a resounding "back" and followed closely with, "what the hell is a front squat?" Most people do only backs and when they do, they go to about 1/4 depth. Having done my first sets of "rock bottom" front squats last night, my legs will tell you fronts all the way. My back feels just fine today, not like it would after back squats. I know I can go heavier on backs, but it doesn't help my C&J's or snatches. The fronts have also improved my hip flexibility to the point where the overhead squat is becoming deeper.
We'll have to see if it improves my Gwen score today.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:57 AM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Since cleans already include front squats, perhaps backsquats would provide less redundancy. The higher load is also an advantage. I think you could make a good case either way, and I don't see any reason why one would be inherently vastly superior to the other. Why not do both? :-)
Old 09-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
Matt McManmon

Profile:

Front squat are more important and more applicable to our purposes. As paul said, Its a good way to break redundancy and place higher loads on the lifter. Also, consider that back squats place alot more strain on the entire body in comparison to front squats. Backsquats develop the posterior chain better then front squats
Old 09-21-2004, 05:09 PM   #7
Nick Holley

Profile:  
I prefer the back squats due to my weak back. They hurt alot more, but my back is definately getting stronger. This is also the reason I put such heavy emphasis on deadlifts in my workouts. Otherwise, I can understand the apparent concensus that front squats are more functional.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Back.

If you work the back squat in different ROMs, you can get a balanced quad/hamstring workout. It's hard to work the hamstrings with front squats. I'm not trying to be an 'isolationist;' it just seems like posterior chain strength is pretty darn important.

Plus they let you handle a higher load.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:34 PM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I like the feel of back squats better. I like Ross's point about posterior chain involvement also.
Robb
Old 09-22-2004, 07:15 PM   #10
Matt McManmon

Profile:

Blah i didnt catch the error in my post haha. Let me clarify that above paragraph.

Front squat are more important and more applicable to our purposes. However, as paul mentioned, back squats are good way to break redundancy and place higher loads on the lifter. Also, consider that back squats place more strain on the entire body in comparison to front squats. Backsquats develop the posterior chain better then front squats.