CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
daniel seals

Profile:
Crossfit Manchester U.K

Hello there

Well ive just arranged to go down to my local crossfit gym as i have no get up and go to do Wod the day at home i do mma 2 to 3 times a week so am a lil fit the question am askin really is what to exspect when i go down for my first class
Old 09-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Crossfit Manchester U.K

Uh . . . classes in written English?

Seriously, you'll probably get some light workout and some testing at first, as they figure out exactly where you're at, fitness-wise and form-wise. Your MMA is likely to have given you decent fitness, but you may (repeat, may) have lousy form on the fundamentals (squat, muted hip function, etc.). You may also have some unexpected "gaps" in your overall fitness (most of us do).

If so, you'll probably get a mix of workouts that emphasize fundamentals and form, along with giving you that experience we all long for . . . the close acquaintance of Pukie.

I can almost guarantee fun and camaraderie, and possibly some chagrin (if you find out you're not quite as fit as you thought).
Old 09-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
daniel seals

Profile:

Thanks for the info ill also think about the english classes haha
Old 09-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:

You are in good hands. I met Karl and Mark over three years ago. They have a great community and are good trainers.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
Mark Beck

Profile:

Hi Daniel

David has it pretty much spot on. We will have you join in our group warm up which consists of a steady run round our building (about 400m) followed by several rounds of simple bodyweight movements (pull-ups, press ups, sit ups and squats) either myself or Karl will spend the entire warm up with you, working with you on form and technique in these movements and scaling them to your abilities if necessary. After this (unless the group workout for the day you come for your first session happens to feature only these movements) we will take you through a basic crossfit workout involving either running or rowing combined with some of the movements you've just performed in your warm up. We will time you, we will encourage you to work hard and complete the workout as fast as possible, but above all we will be wanting you to demonstrate sound form and good mechanics in these movements.

If you have the energy left for it after your workout you will then perhaps join the rest of the class for some skill work or technique work or a mini challenge or maybe just for a chat about nutrition.

Then someone will offer you coffee or water and you can hang around and chat to everyone else for as long as you like.

We hope you will enjoy it and come back for more very soon.
Thanks for the kind words Jeff.
cheers
Mark