CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Scott Carter

Profile:
I searched the various threads related to starting Crossfit in a local park, and was unable to find the answer to a question. For those who started in a local park, how often did you have sessions? Was it a weekend thing?

My spare time is going to be limited starting out, and I just wanted to get a feel of how others started.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
Hi Scott. I'll speak of my exp. I have had a group of kids, and adults come out only on Saturday Mornings to a local park for about 5 months now and they love the fact that it is an intimate place with familiar faces.

Others will give their experience, and from what I've seen is that some of those that I train one on one have no interest outside of the gym much less in a group setting. That is fine and dandy for it gives them a desire to really stick with a program and really learn the moves and techniques needed for the workouts.

Make sure that where you are planning to start teaching or holding a group workout does not or does require a fee of use, or Insurance coverage requirement so that they are covered in the case that one of you drop a db/kb on the nugget.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I think doing it on a regular, scheduled basis is the way to go. Now, I've zero real life experience running a CF facility (or park workout), but I know people, and I know they aren't coming there for the workout, they're coming there to be with others, friends, and to compete against eachother. You supply them with that, and eventually they'll love you so much they'd take a bullet for you.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #4
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:
I meet every day that there is a WOD. We meet at 6:30am on weekdays and 8:00am on weekends. I've been doing it for 2.5 months and usually 2-7 people show up. We have three committed regulars. We didn't contact the city or anything, just started meeting. There are rarely others in the park so early.
http://WWW.CLEVELANDCROSSFIT.COM