CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Allan Talusan

Profile:
I want to start working with KBs more and am almost ready to get my first ones. Should I get a pair of the same weight at first or should I get 1 smaller and 1 larger?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
If you can, just get a set of 3 bells (16k 24k 32k), that'll last you a while. IMO, unless you're going to be teaching ladies how to use KBs, then there's no need to get a second 16k, but you will want to get a second 32k and probably a second 24k. But, first learn how to use singles up to 32k.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
I agree with the 16,24,32 if you can. Double 24s are good too. Double KB work is a monster, I had double 24s and moved onto the solo 32kg without a problem-double work really strengthened my hips(ie. 106# then going onto the single 72#)...I think it depends on what your goals are. But if your doing WODs with prescribed weight and have some strength I'd go with 1 of each IMO I think it would be better than 2x16kg for strength gains.
If you do get the 16 and 24 and maybe get bored or lose respect for the single work then theres always the SSST
Old 06-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Allan,
IMO the most economical buy is two different sizes. Paul is right that double KB work is great, but I'd master the basics one armed before moving on. Especially if/since you are doing Barbell work with the basic WODs. The next decision is whether to get a light one and a medium one, or to get a medium and a heavy. For the average guy, either a 16 and 24, or a 24 and 32. Depends on your goals and your size/strength. Please post some specifics about these areas, and I can suggest some ideas. Need to know what kinds of drills/exercises you want to be able to do with the bells (i.e. H2H juggling, mobility and flexibility, KB sport, high rep snatch tests, LCC&J work, supplemental work for PL and/or Oly, etc., etc.)

Tom
Old 06-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
IMHO doubles are unnecessary because you can do all that stuff with dumbbells. The benefit of the KB over the dumbbell is most apparent when doing one-arm work that utilizes the unique shape of the KB, e.g. 2 handed swings, hand-to-hand drills.

Get singles: 16, 24 and maybe 32.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
Allan Talusan

Profile:
I would want to utilize Kettlebells for explosive strength and stamina in relation to fight sports. I'm 5'10", 200 and perform about 80-85% of the WODs as rx'd. From what I have seen of the KBs and its great portability, it looks like a great training method. Something I can throw in the truck when I go fly fishin' in Estes Park.

I've only seen some swings and Oly type lifts so that is my limited knowledge but I thought that I could handle the 24 and 32 ones.

Thanks for any and all input!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #7
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Probably the 24 and the 32 would be your best bet.

Get some instruction because you are strong enough to "hurt yourself".

Check the DD website for RKCs in Colorado. It will be money well spent.

Tom
Old 06-29-2006, 08:15 AM   #8
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Allan, all the above info. is right on the mark.
Training with an RKC is great, but there are also kettlebell training events through KBC.
I've trained with both, plus with a former Soviet Spetsnaz soldier named Saulius Puzikas.
I received excellent instruction from all of them.
Good training will help you advance effectively and safely in your kettlebell training.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #9
Allan Talusan

Profile:
Thanks for all the imput. I'll post here what I wound up getting and doing.