CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-18-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Kris Crowley

Profile:
I was able to use 95 lbs. for the thrusters, but there was no way I was able to do the sets unbroken. Being as this is my second week, I won't complain.

Should I have gone with lesser weight, though, is my question.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:00 AM   #2
Dan Silver

Profile:

I still can't do an unbroken Fran in anything close to a good time. Most can't really. One of CF's essential skills is work/rest management. There are two schools of thought on that matter but, if you are capable of finishing at full weight, IMO you should give it a go.

-D.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:46 AM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Kris, I've been doing Fran for 18 months and still can't finish in unbroken sets. The last set is usually unbroken...other than that, it's a trudge through the whole thing. Just keep at it. I'm with Dan...if you can use the full weight and get a hard metabolic hit (ie it doesn't take you 30 minutes to do Fran), then go with the full weight.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

2nd'd and now 3rd'd..(??)

Add me to the list of can't do it unbroken, but do it with rx'd weight regardless. I'm down to a reasonably respectable time even with unbroken sets, so the full 95# is the way to go.

"Fat Fran" on the other hand... well now, that was just embarassing.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I was able to use 95 lbs. for the thrusters, but there was no way I was able to do the sets unbroken. Being as this is my second week, I won't complain.

Should I have gone with lesser weight, though, is my question.

There was a video of Fran being done by a couple of studs, and they had broke sets. Or, at least one did.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/Josh-Greg_Fran.rmvb
Old 07-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Eric Moffit

Profile:
notice how long the rests are, though. when you take <5s for rest, it makes broken very quick. speaking for myself, im not as concerned with doing everything unbroken as with reducing down time as much as possible.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
Ted Williams

Profile:
I can't do it with full weight yet...I can do about 4 thruster with 95# before I feel like I am going to lose the bar and die...I drop down to 45#'s and it gets much much easier. I still have to break the sets up (not that I've been doing this that long...). When I do it, I break the sets into groups (10, 11 for the 21 then 8, 7 for the 15, then the full 9)...and I didn't drop the bar this last time, I rested it on my shoulders, so I was still holding the weight.

Ted
Old 07-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
Been CF'ing for 7 months, but only been using 95# for the last 6 weeks. I used 65# until I got my time under 10 minutes, then bumped it up to 95#. First try with 95# was about 21 min. I've gotten it down to under 17 now.

My sets are horribly broken, ending up in 2's and 3's. No rack of any kind (a la' Dan John) so there's a ton of cleans floating in my bowl of Fran.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:04 AM   #9
Brad Smith

Profile:
I LOVE FRAN! I practice Fran. Am I misguided for doing Fran today instead of the WOD? I had never done thrusters before so I'd like to just focus on them for a little while to get better at them but I realize that something else isn't improving while I'm doing these. Plus, I want to work on my pullups. Seems as though these things come around too infrequently on the WOD to get anywhere close to doing them as prescribed...?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:14 AM   #10
William Hunter

Profile:
Brad, that's faulty thinking. Coach knows...trust him. All training is complementary and your Fran time will get better even if you don't see her for the next two months. Max Push Press days will help, days where we do 300 air squats will help, 100+ pullups days will help etc. etc. As Bill Fox put it so well, "Being told what to do is good."

Full Disclosure: Fran may be one of the best WOD's ever, and I've jumped ship once or twice in the last 6 months to give her an extra dance :-) Normally I do what I'm told.