CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Harrison Somoza

Profile:
Need a point in the right direction

I need some help formulating a plan to reach my goals. My primary goal is to get rid of excess fat, which is maybe 10-15lbs. Aside from that, everything that comes with crossfit is great; stronger, faster, more powerful, healthier, happier. I am 23/5’11/182lb, cft – DL 335, BS 275, SP 125.

I am not entirely new to crossfit, I have read and watched a lot on the main site, I also joined a crossfit affiliate for a bit, but had to leave because I couldn’t afford it (bummer). I still follow the WOD from that gyms website, http://www.realfitnessgroup.com/wod.html. I’ve outfitted my garage with a bar plus 210lb in plates, a pull up bar that I can do kip on, abmat, a few dumbbells, 1pood kb, medicine ball and a jumprope. The main site has pretty good substitutions for everything I don’t have.

I imagine I should be on the Paleo diet…right? Not sure if that or the Zone is better for me.

I have read a lot about when shedding fat, strength tends to go with it. This seems pretty counterproductive. Is there anything to combat this? Or do I need to just pick a goal (leaning out), meet that goal, then move on to the next (gaining strength)?

I am wondering if I should focus on metcon wods while I am dropping weight, or will the variety of prescribed wods do the job?

I do apologize in advance if any of this is covered elsewhere on the mainsite, I know sometimes many of the veterans on the forum get frustrated with repeat questions from people who don't do research before posting. Go easy on me, please!

If anyone has any thoughts or advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

-Harrison

Last edited by Harrison Somoza : 05-19-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Amy Larson

Profile:
Re: Need a point in the right direction

Personally, I have found that shedding fat is mostly about what you eat. Paleo is a great start. Eat a lot of good quality food and keep lifting weights. Too much "metcon" or cardio is actually counterproductive to fat loss. Ever seen a "skinny fat" marathon runner? Eat good food, lift heavy weights and throw in a couple conditioning workouts each week (sprints, hill sprints, sled pulls/pushes). Follow a program and track your progress. I only do metcons a couple times per month for a conditioning workout. They can be fun in moderation but you really can get carried away.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Harrison Somoza

Profile:

Thanks for the info Amy. Can you clarify what you mean by follow a "program"? You mean follow the wods such as the ones on crossfit.com or an affiliate website?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Amy Larson

Profile:

Wendler 531 and 70s Big Strength and Conditioning Program are a couple good ones you can check out. Starting Strength is excellent for pure strength gains but you really have to be committed to the recovery-it won't work if you are adding metcons or a lot of other conditioning. I did 531 with 2 days of conditioning for 3 cycles and really enjoyed it. Unlike a lot of people on these boards I don't freak out too much about my diet.(I usually eat Paleo but do get in a few grains or dairy from time to time). I'm a fairly well-muscled lady and am happy with how I look. Back in my running and chronic cardio days I weighed the same but carried around a lot more fat. Counting blocks or calories does not appeal to me. Currently I am doing an olympic weightlifting progam and the idea is the same although I have cut back to one day of conditioning until my body adpats (I'm a newbie in oly lifting).

Figure out your goals, find a program that will get you there and stick to it. Tinker with your diet until you find a balance that helps you lose fat. Maybe start a little on the low-carb side, eliminate the grains and dairy at first. Eat lots of meat and vegetables. Work really hard in the gym and track your progress. Rest on your rest days and get plenty of sleep.

There is a ton of info on the programs I mentioned above on the interent. 531 is an ebook and worth every penny. Starting Strength is an excellent book and even if you don't do the program you should buy the book for instruction. 70s Big is a free site and worth checking out.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

From my personal experience:

If you lose 10 lbs of fat you will be 5'11" 172 lbs.

That is way too light. I'm 5'11" and when I hit 178 (probably 9 or 10% BF) all my workouts fell part with the possible exception of pure running.

Unless you are super small boned I'm guessing 185 with 10 to 12% BF is probably a better goal. This would imply you need to work on gaining some muscle mass before you worry too much about losing fat.

Have you measured your body fat? While everything except getting weighted in and out of water is inexact it will at least give you an approximate idea of where you are today (measure multiple times a day for a couple of days and average it gives a little better number when using electronic devises). From that you can compute an important number:

Lean Body Mass = Total Weight - Total Body Fat

This gives you the weight of your bone, organs, connective tissues and muscles. Sense the first three don't change much after you stop growing changes in LBM primarily reflect changes in muscles.

So

Lean Body Mass = 185 (target weight) - 22.2 (#s of BF at 12% & 185) = 162.8

Compute your current LBM subtract it from goal LBM and you will have an idea of how much muscle to add.

You may or may not be able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. This only works for people just starting to lift weights. Otherwise you try to hold BF steady, gain LBM then increase met-cons to lose unwanted fat.

To do this: lots of high quality food, heavy weight training and 8 hours of sleep a night, limited met-con to maintain conditioning. Simple Strength & Conditioning Program.

Or you can eat Paleo do lots of met-cons and end up skinny and weak. If that is your goal it is not hard to do.

Your body, your goals, your program.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Greyskull LP I really suggest that for your goals.