CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Back to the drawing board

If you are speaking of maintaining your strength while increasing your endurance, I absolutely think that is doable. I think dropping the 20 lbs will help you too, the reality is you then have to haul around 10% less, it will help.

I would suggest focusing on an endurance program with a strength maintenance element, vs. a strength program with added endurance. Front sight focus, you'll hit what you aim at.

Have you considered SEALFit or Military Athlete or one of the similar sites with programs geared toward your goals? Do you have an opportunity to talk to someone who has been where you're going who can specifically tell you what to be good at?

Back to the CFG example, they have the luxury (most of them) of basically exercising for a living. Most do not. You have to spend time on other skills too, land nav and swimming are skill intensive and require a significant time investment. Something to consider perhaps.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: Back to the drawing board

I have a few friends on the teams actually, the thing unlike the SEALs, Rangers, US Army SF, the teams here don't make public anything requirement or testing/selection wise other then the bare minimum fitness test to be able to apply. Furthermore our SOF teams/capabilities are all quite young 20yrs or less, th particular one I will be trying out for was stood up in 2006. So they have been pretty fluid on their selection process changing things as they grow and what not, so what my friends went through won't necessarily be what I'll go through.

I've looked at sealfit and militaryathlete, I bought the kindle edition of 8 weeks to sealfit to try out also. That's the way I was leaning to go.