CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
an equation for fitness

is there an equation (or an algorithm) for overall fitness?

something like - number of reps x duration of time x weight used/ persons body weight -?

i'm keen to find something that would allow me to compare on an index different individuals overall fitness (at least based on the above variables) that's a little better than 'whats your Rx'd Fran time'

i know there's an equation that exists for powerlifting (not that i can remember what it is)
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: an equation for fitness

Doubt that there is, since there really isn't a universal definition for what "fitness" is in the first place.

- Mark
Old 10-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Too many variables to solve for one number.

Powerlifting and weightlifting have Sinclair formulas and the like because those formulas only deal with two variables - bodyweight and weight lifted.

When you ask somebody simply what their PRs are, everybody will have a different choice of which ones to tell you. For instance, I'd probably tell you my weightlifting total and running/rowing numbers. Somebody else might tell you their Fran/Diane/Elizabeth time. A third might tell you their Olympic-distance triathlon time. All of these are completely different metrics that I don't think can be reconciled together.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

http://youtu.be/aboZctrHfK8 WFS
Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Casey Dietz

Profile:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...012013-SDy.pdf (wfs)

Check out page 25 on. Basically, you take all of your workouts - graph the power you used [ (weight used*distance moved)/time action performed ] on the y-axis, and the time it took on the x-axis.

You can do this with all the workouts you do Fran, 5k, etc... plot them on the graph and you will come up with the curve. Everything under the curve is your work capacity. The greatest volume of work should best discribe the overall fitness, according to CrossFit.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Dietz View Post
http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...012013-SDy.pdf (wfs)

Check out page 25 on. Basically, you take all of your workouts - graph the power you used [ (weight used*distance moved)/time action performed ] on the y-axis, and the time it took on the x-axis.

You can do this with all the workouts you do Fran, 5k, etc... plot them on the graph and you will come up with the curve. Everything under the curve is your work capacity. The greatest volume of work should best discribe the overall fitness, according to CrossFit.
I would suggest the graph referenced above is a great starting point if you wanted to try to draft an equation of fitness. As long as you are willing to make some hard assumptions regarding what should be included in the computation, you probably could come up with an equation to compare athletes. You of course will never solve debates about what areas of fitness and time frames should be included in the equation and how they should be weighted.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I sure hope the OP isn't planning to use this to in some way argue that he is more fit than someone else.

- Mark
Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Mike Doehla

Profile:

No. That's why Glassman created CrossFit so we can use that to see who is the fittest. I'm being sarcastic, guys. Don't kill me.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
No. That's why Glassman created CrossFit so we can use that to see who is the fittest. I'm being sarcastic, guys. Don't kill me.
I hate it when people here are sarcastic.

- Mark
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

I think it would be too hard to use math to say who is more fit than another since there are too many definitions of "fitness" but you could probably use an equation to quantify your own fitness. Obviously you could just use the time for specific WODs to see if you are improving but there could be a way to set it up to see what you need to improve...although I have no idea what it would be. For example, if your variables measure strength, speed and time, maybe you could set it up to show where you may be lacking in a specific area. Again, I have no idea how to do it but maybe this can get someone thinking of a way to do it.