CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Running with Squats?

running with squats can be good. some types of these workouts work great.

this is the type of squat and running workout that produces awesomeness:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...tvinov_workout link WFS

if you really want to combine running with other things, CF already has some pretty good ideas for workouts. Eva, Helen, Murph, Nancy, Kelly, Nicole, etc. you might try those. they are all good workouts.

if you want to use squatting to improve yourself and to work on endurance, then repeat after me: "t-a-b-a-t-a". if that doesn't sound hard enough, feel free to add weight. or run afterward.

however, jogging and stopping every so often to do some bodyweight squats is not the type of workout combination that produces awesomeness.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #22
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

When we were prepping for Selection, we would stop every so often to do things like lunges or air squats during a long run.

Of course this was because the cadre would start to get a bit tired and wanted to smoke our legs while taking a nice break, and then when they were good and ready, they would continue on at a 6 min pace
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #23
Don Beam

Profile:

On nice days, we do a lot of cardio work outside in the football field.

We have done gassers right into broad jumps and back into the gassers.

I think the worst was a pyramid of suicides and burpees:

25 min AMRAP: (obviously stopping at each 25 yard interval)

25 yard suicide
50 yard suicide
75 yard suicide
100 yard suicide

No rest, then right into 100 yard burpee broad jumps.

I know for a fact this ^^^ has improved my conditioning and aerobic performance. Despite having no weights, it is one of the most demanding WoDs I've ever done (besides Murph).

If you're looking to improve conditioning, I'd seriously recommend doing this at least once a week.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #24
Blaise Davis

Profile:

I love the selection comment Andrew...it brings back horrid memories

But who do you think can run better at 2 miles...the person who can do 50 airsquats in 2 minutes, or the person who can do 150?...the person who can stop at 0.5 mile intervals and do 15 airsquats or the person who can stop at 0.5 mile intervals and do 50?

the body is very adaptable and you are using your cardiovascular fitness and mostly leg muscle endurance when running...placing more of a demand on legs while improve your leg muscle endurance, thus making you more efficient...also interval running is better to improve endurance running over just running long distances for a set pace, this has been proven....this is a great workout keep using it we are right on this one....it will improve your running way better than just running
Old 10-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
Jeff Enge

Profile:

OK, taking the bait this time.

Just to say, I'm 90% sure you could do more air squats in any length of time than me, but I more sure that I could beat you in any distance running.

Unless your 23:00 5k time on your Games profile has gotten significantly better.

I will hold that simple air squat ability and running ability have little to no correlation past showing general fitness levels.

N=1, of course, and I'm fully aware I just engaged in a ****ing match.

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 10-04-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #26
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
I love the selection comment Andrew...it brings back horrid memories

But who do you think can run better at 2 miles...the person who can do 50 airsquats in 2 minutes, or the person who can do 150?...the person who can stop at 0.5 mile intervals and do 15 airsquats or the person who can stop at 0.5 mile intervals and do 50?

the body is very adaptable and you are using your cardiovascular fitness and mostly leg muscle endurance when running...placing more of a demand on legs while improve your leg muscle endurance, thus making you more efficient...also interval running is better to improve endurance running over just running long distances for a set pace, this has been proven....this is a great workout keep using it we are right on this one....it will improve your running way better than just running
WTF are we even talking about? CrossFit is a great GPP program that will get you in great general shape. Doing MetCons, even running MetCons, will make you a better runner, but will not make you a better runner than a standard running program. By the way, a good running program has intervals, short, medium and long runs, depending on your goal.

Last edited by Paulo Santos : 10-04-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
Blaise Davis

Profile:

no such match has occurred...either you don't get what im saying or its over yalls head cause it seems obvious to me...I mean this nice no insults are being slung...
Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #28
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
no such match has occurred...either you don't get what im saying or its over yalls head cause it seems obvious to me...I mean this nice no insults are being slung...
Yes, we are all dense. We bow to your overwhelming breadth and depth of knowledge.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #29
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
That's the same as asking "who can run 2 miles better, someone that has spent the last 10yrs on the couch, or someone that runs 30mi per week." Being in better condition is better condition. I'm not 100% convinced that airsquats, even in high volume, significantly improve someone's ability to run long distance. 2mi, however, doesn't qualify as long distance, so sure, go on, knock it out with as many squats as you want.

What I WOULD say, however, is that stopping every half mile to do squats, burpees, pushups, whatever, might as well be cheating in my book. Even pulling a high energy movement during the break is still a break for your running muscles and gives you a chance to recover. WAY easier to run 10mi with burpee breaks at every mile than run 10mi straight.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #30
Blaise Davis

Profile:

I agree to disagree my friends