CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
Michael Pollak

Profile:
Re: Just about done with my onboarding My CF total?

Congrats... Those really are great numbers!

That said.... Don't focus on the numbers!!!! " At least i should be good at the single rep stuff" That's just your ego talking. I personally know how hard that can be and we all suffer from it at times.

From what I gather( want to lose about 70-90 lbs) , you desire to be healthy, lose weight, get fit.... That should be your main priority over the next 6-12 months.... You can't have everything, you can't lose dramatic amounts of weight, increase conditioning, and gain drastic amounts of strength .....all at the same time. You need to prioritize small goals, fight for them, and move on to the next.

Your coaches would probably agree..... Focus on clean diet and dropping weight. Practice all your moves and scale as much as you need to learn them properly.... Focus on the intensity of your workouts and realize that as you are starting to lose weight and move faster your fitness is increasing. Lift as heavy as you can but don't obsess if while eating a caloric deficit if your numbers don't drastically improve..... That will come with time. Your body just knows that you are lifting as heavy as it can and will respond.... The numbers are just that...numbers!!

( that applies to the scale also.... Don't obsess on numbers, focus on your waist and the mirror, and how mush better you feel and preform)

You got this!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:50 AM   #12
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i have no idea why everyone is saying "those are good numbers"? no they aren't. i am sure they are trying to be encouraging, but honestly should also play a role. i also want you to be encouraged and motivated to make improvement. i agree the hard part is getting started and you have done that. keep up the hard work and get the diet right and you will make progress. but the numbers aren't good and you should be hungry to improve them.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Richard Ross

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i have no idea why everyone is saying "those are good numbers"? no they aren't. i am sure they are trying to be encouraging, but honestly should also play a role. i also want you to be encouraged and motivated to make improvement. i agree the hard part is getting started and you have done that. keep up the hard work and get the diet right and you will make progress. but the numbers aren't good and you should be hungry to improve them.
I am hungry, i told my coach at my 3 month review i want a 1000 lb total.
However i have a real need to know accurate baselines simply put its the way my mind works as its a cornerstone of my profession as a performance engineer. That said did a little research and my numbers range in the novice to intermediate range.. as a person who has done less that 50 dead lifts (all in the last 30 days) I think my baseline is better than you suggest. In particular is the external influences.. Ie the 90 lbs of Body fat that I am also pulling with every lift.... another way of looking at this is at a 20% BF my dead lift of squat is over 400 lbs... which drops me into above average/advanced all this is making me feel a lot better..
The climb a mountain 20 feet at a time thought is a great reference.. Thank you all for your thoughts and support!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
Richard Ross

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pollak View Post
Congrats... Those really are great numbers!

From what I gather( want to lose about 70-90 lbs) , you desire to be healthy, lose weight, get fit.... That should be your main priority over the next 6-12 months.... You can't have everything, you can't lose dramatic amounts of weight, increase conditioning, and gain drastic amounts of strength .....all at the same time. You need to prioritize small goals, fight for them, and move on to the next.

Your coaches would probably agree..... Focus on clean diet and dropping weight. Practice all your moves and scale as much as you need to learn them properly.... Focus on the intensity of your workouts and realize that as you are starting to lose weight and move faster your fitness is increasing. Lift as heavy as you can but don't obsess if while eating a caloric deficit if your numbers don't drastically improve..... That will come with time. Your body just knows that you are lifting as heavy as it can and will respond.... The numbers are just that...numbers!!

( that applies to the scale also.... Don't obsess on numbers, focus on your waist and the mirror, and how mush better you feel and preform)

You got this!!!
this makes sense thank you!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
David Bayer

Profile:

Being a beginner I would not label yourself by what you can do or can't do well. I would label yourself by your actions. If you are doing the work, if you are working on your weaknesses, if you are making PROGRESS, then you are being successful. Don't focus on the destination but instead enjoy the journey. Have a great time and celebrate with each PR you hit whether it is on a lift or metcon