CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #91
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Renegade Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
Sadly both of those are food guide pyramid plus overfeeding with the different options. Which I agree is not beneficial. Neither compare high fat low carb to high carb low fat, the high fat experiment had way too many carbs.
What those studies show is that there is hierarchy of substrate oxidation and this makes the effects of over and under feeding quite predictable. In simple terms if you eat to excess alcohol, carbohydrate and protein oxidation increases so that intake and oxidation are closely matched and dietary fat is stored. This means that a high fat diet consumed to excess will result in a greater increase in fat stores than an isocaloric low fat diet.

Changes in macronutrient balance during over- and underfeeding assessed by 12-d continuous whole-body calorimetry.
Susan A Jebb, at al. Am J Clin Nutr 1996;64:259-66.

Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation - Carbohydrates in Human Nutrition: Carbohydrate Food Intake and Energy Balance.

*All links wfs*
Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #92
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
What those studies show is that there is hierarchy of substrate oxidation and this makes the effects of over and under feeding quite predictable. In simple terms if you eat to excess alcohol, carbohydrate and protein oxidation increases so that intake and oxidation are closely matched and dietary fat is stored. This means that a high fat diet consumed to excess will result in a greater increase in fat stores than an isocaloric low fat diet.

Changes in macronutrient balance during over- and underfeeding assessed by 12-d continuous whole-body calorimetry.
Susan A Jebb, at al. Am J Clin Nutr 1996;64:259-66.

Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation - Carbohydrates in Human Nutrition: Carbohydrate Food Intake and Energy Balance.

*All links wfs*
Comparison of overfeeding to underfeeding has nothing to do with overfeeding HFLC to overfeeding HCLF....
Old 06-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #93
Michael Dries

Profile:

Darryl I'm curious what you think about this recent study. I don't have the full text but the abstract seems to implicate that weight gain is not simply governed by calories in vs calories out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23253599 WFS

"Gluten-free animals showed a reduction in body weight gain and adiposity, without changes in food intake or lipid excretion. "

It seems that hormones do a play a role in what your body does with the calories ingested. If these two groups consumed the same calories but one didn't gain as much weight AND didn't poop or pee the extra dietary fat, what happened?

Clearly we aren't talking about gluten in this thread but it does make an augment that the hormonal environment, possibly influenced by foods, can have an effect on what the body does with dietary nutrients.

Last edited by Michael Dries : 06-28-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #94
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Darryl I'm curious what you think about this recent study. I don't have the full text but the abstract seems to implicate that weight gain is not simply governed by calories in vs calories out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23253599 WFS

"Gluten-free animals showed a reduction in body weight gain and adiposity, without changes in food intake or lipid excretion. "

It seems that hormones do a play a role in what your body does with the calories ingested. If these two groups consumed the same calories but one didn't gain as much weight AND didn't poop or pee the extra dietary fat, what happened?

Clearly we aren't talking about gluten in this thread but it does make an augment that the hormonal environment, possibly influenced by foods, can have an effect on what the body does with dietary nutrients.
Well yes, hormones do play a role in energy and macronutrient balance. But humans aren't mice, so without reading the full text I'm not sure what relevance this study has to human nutrition.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #95
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Can we stay on topic? Quit hijacking every thread with your links and "expertise" go start your own thread and discuss this stuff all you want. It's to the point that I don't even want to come to this forum anymore because you clog up every thread with this stuff.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #96
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
It's not about belief Paulo. It's about science, and how the authors of these fad diets misrepresent it in order to profit from peoples ignorance and gullibility.
How about you let me/us be the judge of what works or doesn't. I paid for this ebook with my own money so is like to give it an honest try to see if it works. I already said in the past that carb backloading was a horribly written book and confusing as all hell, while renegade Diet is much easier to follow. And so far it is working pretty well. Nothing miraculously, but pretty well. If after a few more months this stops working or I don't like it, I'll stop doing it and post it. But at least I'm going to give it a try. And if you were right all along, I'll gladly give you kudos. But in the meantime, how about you give it a break.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #97
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Can we stay on topic? Quit hijacking every thread with your links and "expertise" go start your own thread and discuss this stuff all you want. It's to the point that I don't even want to come to this forum anymore because you clog up every thread with this stuff.
If enough people complain, maybe the mods will do something about it. Every time he posts, I report it.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #98
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
How about you let me/us be the judge of what works or doesn't. I paid for this ebook with my own money so is like to give it an honest try to see if it works. I already said in the past that carb backloading was a horribly written book and confusing as all hell, while renegade Diet is much easier to follow. And so far it is working pretty well. Nothing miraculously, but pretty well. If after a few more months this stops working or I don't like it, I'll stop doing it and post it. But at least I'm going to give it a try. And if you were right all along, I'll gladly give you kudos. But in the meantime, how about you give it a break.
It's been pretty significant for me. The fasting and the carb loading post workout has let me lean out (caliper measurements have trended down 2mm) and maintain my weight (+/- .5 over two weeks).

Perhaps it's the training (Wendler BBB) or the combination but I'm seeing drastic results from this diet and training combination. Perhaps the 60 minutes of fasted walking in the morning?

I've never been this lean without a dramatic drop in calories and energy.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #99
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
It's been pretty significant for me. The fasting and the carb loading post workout has let me lean out (caliper measurements have trended down 2mm) and maintain my weight (+/- .5 over two weeks).

Perhaps it's the training (Wendler BBB) or the combination but I'm seeing drastic results from this diet and training combination. Perhaps the 60 minutes of fasted walking in the morning?

I've never been this lean without a dramatic drop in calories and energy.
I'm sure the fasted walking in the morning helps, but the only to tell for sure is to eliminate either the fasted walking or the diet.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #100
Michael Dries

Profile:

Could be, but I don't think I'm burning all that many more calories walking. We'll see, I'm sure the random summer weather of the north east will rain out a few mornings for me.