CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Ashley Kuykendall

Profile:
Dig this Blog Post

Brand new to the Forum and have been contemplating my first post for WEEKS. Nothing ever seemed good enough to present to such an amazing community of athletes...But I finally said F*** it! Get a set and post something...ANYTHING....So here it is. Yeah, I've felt that.
http://www.runningfordummies.net/201...-crossfit.htmlYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Re: Dig this Blog Post

Welcome! I've got a random question for you...do you have any relatives named Dustin? How are things down in Clarkston?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Ha Cool, been there many times. It just keeps getting better. Welcome, by the way.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Ashley Kuykendall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
Welcome! I've got a random question for you...do you have any relatives named Dustin? How are things down in Clarkston?
Ummm.Nope! No Dustin Kuykendall that I am aware of...Unless my dad has been out running around again!

And thank you Nik...This is going to be big fun I'm sure....

Hey quick question for you two and anyone else reading this...If I were to begin training for an Iron Man on top of crossfit regimine (5-6 days a week) what would my caloric intake need to be? Will triathalon training decrease my strength?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Kuykendall View Post
Ummm.Nope! No Dustin Kuykendall that I am aware of...Unless my dad has been out running around again!

Hey quick question for you two and anyone else reading this...If I were to begin training for an Iron Man on top of crossfit regimine (5-6 days a week) what would my caloric intake need to be? Will triathalon training decrease my strength?
Great article! Thanks for sharing!

To answer your question, you should be eating A LOT to sustain all of that training, and yes, your strength will most likely go down. Check out this thread http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=78769. Theres a link to an article written by a guy who has an elite powerlifting total as well as just completed an iron man, right up your alley.

The link is WFS.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Kuykendall View Post

You would need alot of calories (I really couldn't give you an exact number 2500'ish at least?). More importantly you really shouldn't do both or at least CF 5-6 days a week on top of triathlon training. You'll not only lose strength but you'll start to burn out as well. Are you doing a full, half, Olympic or sprint triathlon?

Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Ashley Kuykendall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Great article! Thanks for sharing!

To answer your question, you should be eating A LOT to sustain all of that training, and yes, your strength will most likely go down. Check out this thread http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=78769. Theres a link to an article written by a guy who has an elite powerlifting total as well as just completed an iron man, right up your alley.

The link is WFS.
AWESOME! Thank you Brad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
You would need alot of calories (I really couldn't give you an exact number 2500'ish at least?). More importantly you really shouldn't do both or at least CF 5-6 days a week on top of triathlon training. You'll not only lose strength but you'll start to burn out as well. Are you doing a full, half, Olympic or sprint triathlon?
I am going to ease into these events and begin with a few sprints this Spring and then possibly an Iron Man in about a year or so...I can't stop crossfitting as much as I do though, it's for my sanity more than anything else. If I were to stagger my runs/swims/biking throughout the week with a rest day Sunday do you think I will still be burning out? I know that level of exercise is not possible for extended periods of time...Ugh.

Thank you for the information guys, I appreciate it.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

I think that it's possible. Maybe tell your coach what you're thinking and he/she will help you, and hopefully he/she is a smart programmer. But rest and recovery is going to be really key. No less than 8 hours of sleep a night, lots of stretching and rolling and your nutrition is going to have to be pretty damn near airtight. I think Alex's article is going to be really helpful though.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Matt Thomas

Profile:

My advice would be to read that article that was linked above and find a good way to incorporate strength training into your workouts. You might not gain huge amounts of strength while training for a triathlon, but it will still have positive effects if done right.

But let's step back for a second and ask a few questions. What does doing "crossfit" mean? By definition it means:

- Increasing work capacity across broad time and modal domains (not my words -_-)
- Developing a high level of general physical preparedness
- Training for the "unknown and unknowable"

In my opinion if you have a specific goal approaching in a defined period of time you don't need general physical preparedness. It is time to focus on specializing your physical preparedness for the task at hand.

You aren't training for the unknown and unknowable. You know exactly what physical activities will be asked of you and the distances involved. So again dedicated work can and should be taken to achieve success in those. Realize you only have so many "resources" as far as time, energy, and recovery ability goes when it comes to training. Make sure you're using them to move toward your goals. Spending the next 3 months working toward a muscle up may not be the best use of time and resources at the moment.

I think this is where a certain type of periodization can be beneficial. If you have nothing on the horizon "do crossfit" to stay general fit and ready for anything. Once you decide you want to do race and it's a few months out start specializing. Ramp up the endurance and do what's necessary to maintain as much strength as you can at the same time.

HOWEVER...

If by "crossfit" you mean "I like those brutal circuit workouts where I run all over, lift things, jump on stuff, and feel like I want to pass out after" then there are intelligent ways to fit those into any training program and there's no reason you should have to completely give that up.

JUUUUST my opinions though. Take everything with a table spoon of salt

Welcome to the boards.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Ashley Kuykendall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
I think that it's possible. Maybe tell your coach what you're thinking and he/she will help you, and hopefully he/she is a smart programmer. But rest and recovery is going to be really key. No less than 8 hours of sleep a night, lots of stretching and rolling and your nutrition is going to have to be pretty damn near airtight. I think Alex's article is going to be really helpful though.
I am sure he will be able to point me in the right direction but it's articles such as the one you provided me with that will really make the most difference as he won't be there to babysit me! That alone is a full time job! Currently getting 8 hours a night, but I will admit I don't stretch/roll nearly enough...As far as my nutrition, it's already very clean. My concern is being able to make myself consume enough...chicks aren't really programmed to WANT to eat a lot.

Closed Thread