CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Patrick Reynolds

Profile:
Piriformis Syndrome Help!

Hey guys, I've been researching into help for my problem and have hit a wall. I'm 99% sure I have been suffering from piriformis syndrome for the past two weeks. I've been putting my hip through some pretty aggressive internal and external rotation stretches as well as rolling on my lacrosse ball. I've also been applying some neuroflossing, but all of these attempts to get the piriformis to relax have actually made the situation worse. Has anyone had any experience with this? My next step is to do nothing for a week or two, just let it rest. I don't know what else to do.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Piriformis Syndrome Help!

If you're 99% sure it's what you say it is, and have done what you say you've done; perhaps you should consider the other 1% after 2 weeks and it gets worse.

Piriformis syndrome could be the RESULT of many things, most commonly something over/under active up or down the chain.

The moral of your story....not every muscle that feels tight needs to be stretched, and if after 2 weeks, not only does it not get better, but worse...your 99% was probably wrong.

Doing nothing is also rarely the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Reynolds View Post
Hey guys, I've been researching into help for my problem and have hit a wall. I'm 99% sure I have been suffering from piriformis syndrome for the past two weeks. I've been putting my hip through some pretty aggressive internal and external rotation stretches as well as rolling on my lacrosse ball. I've also been applying some neuroflossing, but all of these attempts to get the piriformis to relax have actually made the situation worse. Has anyone had any experience with this? My next step is to do nothing for a week or two, just let it rest. I don't know what else to do.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Sandra Heiser

Profile:

I've been dealing with performis syn for over a year, went to an orthoped, had cortisone shots, MRI etc. My chiropractor helped a lot, my issue is hyper mobility. Anyway, my chiro recommended running backwards as an exercise that 'turns on' the muscles that the performis is compensating for. It worked for me. It'll act up still, 'bout once a month (probably hormonal!) but not as severe, and I have the backwards running as part of my warmup.

Also, I found that when I stopped doing all the prescribed stretches that I started to improve. The stretches felt good while doing them, but with my hyper mobility, I needed to tighten up. Deep massage helped tho...

Last edited by Sandra Heiser : 08-29-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Aaron Wayne Campbell

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Piriformis Syndrome Help!

I agree that you really want to be sure of the diagnosis. I thought I had pyriformis syndrome also based on my symptoms and an initial visit with a DO (doctor of osteopathic medicine). Initially started hurting while doing butterfuly sit ups, but I exacerbated it one day doing a deadlift/pull up WOD. Had sciatica down the left leg. Did a lot of research, stretches, etc and tried to keep crossfitting but wasn't getting better. Bit the bullet and had an MRI - herniated L4/L5 with impingment on the left L5 root. When I finally went to see an ortho/spine surgeon he showed me I had developed weakness in foot extension compared to the right. I started aggressive physical therapy (McKenzie protocal) at his recommendation and am now doing better about 6 weeks later (initial injury was 3 months ago). Probably won't need surgery. It will be a slow return to crossfitting but I've seen so many posts about disc injuries and am encouraged with the good recovery rates.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Patrick Reynolds

Profile:

It has been about a month since the sciatic pain started and has gotten better with rest. I tried everything but the only thing that really helped was taking time off from training. I had gotten to the point where I could sit with little pain and jog a little but last night I un-did all of the healing. I coach baseball and hitting about 100 groundballs put me in serious pain, worse than how it was in the beginning. Now I can't sit or stand for longer than a minute without excrutiating pain. Back to the drawing board.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
It has been about a month since the sciatic pain started and has gotten better with rest. I tried everything but the only thing that really helped was taking time off from training. I had gotten to the point where I could sit with little pain and jog a little but last night I un-did all of the healing. I coach baseball and hitting about 100 groundballs put me in serious pain, worse than how it was in the beginning. Now I can't sit or stand for longer than a minute without excrutiating pain. Back to the drawing board.
Read the second post in this thread...the last line.

Now call the chiro or PT.....or do nothing again.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Patrick Reynolds

Profile:

Brian,

What is the causing the condesending tone from you? I didn't ask you specifically for help.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Brian,

What is the causing the condesending tone from you? I didn't ask you specifically for help.
Because 3 weeks ago, you had the same problem....probably worse now. Didn't mean to be taken that way. It's the same conversation I'd have with a patient. Doing nothing rarely alleviates the actual problem.

I see this everyday in our affiliate and office. Some others offering their advice is typically just hearsay, or an experiment with 1 person, themselves. I don't like the odds of that working for each person. Each person brings their own issues to the table that complicate what may seem as simply, yet common as low back pain.

Again, I apologize....hard to tell someones tone over the internet.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Patrick Reynolds

Profile:

I agree, hard to infer tone of a written word. Apology accepted. I put it off long enough, going to see and ortho this week.