CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Shaun Thompson

Profile:
Achilles Tendonitis

I have been dealing with Achilles Tendonitis on and off now for the past year.

It got so bad that I was having issues just standing up after sitting down. Ill be honest, I thought that Id be able to ice after the WODs and just lay low with perhaps putting 50% effort into leg centric workouts and just plain staying away from anything involving bending by foot i.e. tilting my foot up or down.

Boy was I wrong... A) I do CrossFit B) I like to be competitive (just like the rest of you) These two facts made it pretty much impossible to "lay low".

Eventually it all came to a head when getting out of bed one morning I simply could not walk after attempting to stand up, the pain in my ankle was a mixture of burning,stinging and good ol' fashioned pain.

So to make long pathetic story short I finally dragged myself to a Sports Therapist who after looking at my ankle said "you shouldn't be walking on this let alone be doing CrossFit" - The perscription, basically if I didnt want to risk permanent injury I need to quit all sporting activities for at least 3 months...

So here I am, 3 Months Later, my ankle feels like it used to feel a year ago, Ill be back at my Box next week... Halle-FRIGGING-lujah!

I am curious if anyone else has been through SEVERE Achilles Tendonitis and what your recovery process was like?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Todd Angel

Profile:
Re: Achilles Tendonitis

Wow man! Way to stick it out on the 3 month lay off! I dealt with a real bad case of achilles tendonosis that in the end resulted in surgery...The bright side, this achilles feels bullet proof, now I just deal with tendonitis on my other side . My guess is that I favor it still when I move/run/WOD. I replied because I wanted to share some things that I have learned...

1. Be real careful on this come back, I know that goes with out saying but sometimes there has been enough damage done that It can come back fast..
Too many times I thought "yes! I'm healed only to reinjure it".

2. Stay vigilant on stretching/rolling your calfs and prehab/rehab stuff, we place such a large demand on the lower leg that if they get tight, it goes bad in a hurry...I neglegted mine and managed to get some PF going on so that was anther set back (got it solved now)...visit mobility WOD and listen to Kstar!

3. As you begin, you may want to try heat before WOD and ice after just to help with inflammation.

4. lastly, I don't know what kind of shoes that you wear but in the beginning I would recommend you avoid the allure of the minimalist shoe until you get used to the demand that you are going to place on it. By the way Oly shoes always felt good due to the elevated heal for me anyways..

Good luck, I hope that you have a speedy journey back to pre-injury performance...
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Oli Kellett

Profile:

I suffer from it but not to the level you do. I do calf raises each day and wear orthotics in my shoes.

My physio wanted to try some kinesio tape on it for my rugby season this year so I am giving that a game and I had game last night and feel fine this morning even though I usually am pretty stiff the next day. Of course this could be a placebo effect so I will keep tabs on it over the next few weeks.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Very important point made here...neglected tendinitis always wins. People start with saying it isn't really painful, just tight,sore,achy,tweaked fill in whatever adjective you want. Then it builds up to the point where it starts to actually hurt but only after the workout. Then it starts to hurt during but it loosens up and feels better, so people try to convince themselves it is ok still. Finally they can't push through it and it hurts during the workout and it does not go away to the point where box jumps aren't the problem but walking up curbs and stairs. The ONLY way to get better is to modify to the point where pain is not encountered and the tendon finally gets a chance to heal. Nice patience, good luck returning, Sean

www.orthopedicsne.com
Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Michael Kelley

Profile:

You have to be careful of that chain forever now. I had a severe case 15 years ago as a young Army officer, fully versed in "suck it up and drive on." I was basically unable to run for 4 months and was told that I dodged a rupture by perhaps just a few more minutes of activity. Ever since then I have battled every kind of problem you can think of in that area of the body - plantar fasciitis, calf strains and tears, occasional tendinitis, etc, etc, etc. I chalk it all up to not taking care of that pain before my tendons got squishy in the first place. Make friends with foam rollers, lacrosse balls, massage therapists, and acupuncturists. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Shaun Thompson

Profile:

Thanks for all the good info and well wishes guys - Back now with 4 WOD's under my belt, I'm still babying (in that a word) my left ankle but hey even though Im not feeling any issues, I figure that's better than going back to square one in a hurry...
Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

I would suggest using eccentrics to help strengthen it up, even if you are out of the the worst of it.