CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Stephen Hyland

Profile:
Not Happy With Reebok

I have been a fan of Crossfit for many years now and I knew as a business man myself it would only be a matter of time that one of the sports companys woke up and the smelt the coffee of the opportunity to be in partnership with Crossfit, hence reebok great brand etc., really pleased for Crossfit as it will help spread the word, so getting to my point, my name is Stephen Hyland, train out of Stoneleigh, Surrey, UK I am the WR holder for a few categories in pull ups and chin ups, I have trained in my home gym for the last 5 year, as there is nothing like Crossfit gym in my area, which is a shame as I would love to train with that type of atmosphere, I stopped training in my local gym when I asked them to sponsor me ( not with money just help for the day) for one of my attempts, to be told by the manager of the gym that they could not, as it was a family gym and it would give the wrong impression that you had to be some fitness nut to train there, and put people off joining the gym, this may have been the case but at the time I was 54 years old, any way every year Guinness world records hold a WR day which they try and get people to do WR on the same day all around the world this year was 17.11.11, I always try and do one to help promote the day, I was approached by GWR two weeks before the WR day and asked if I would change my venue, as they had been approached by M&C SAATCHI sport + entertainment to see if I would do my attempt at their GWR day at Canary Wharf, London, it was going to over two days and it was to promote reebok + Crossfit, As I would have to do it outside and close to the River Thames, if it rained or was windy etc. its winter here and it was not possible to do outside, so I had to declined , but I was emailed and called again by Ross Garrity of Saatchi, he was unaware that I knew anything about the concept of x-f ideology, so I explained that I had been doing Crossfit for the last 5 years and it was down to x-f training which has help me to the level of fitness I am now at, so he said he would come back to me, and to cut a story short, I change my day to do the WR attempt to the evening of the 16th so I could be with reebok & Crossfit all day on the 17th to be in their words as an ambassador for Crossfit, I would do demos, some wods i.e Cindy type etc., which I was more than happy do, they would pick me up from my home kit me out in reebok attire etc. I must admit I was delighted, I had let a few people down that was coming to my original venue, but most understood that it was a great opportunity, some arranged to come up and see me a few of my business colleagues said they would come along ,GWR was happy to let me change the day but they would still include it in the GWR day , so all I had to do is break the WR so when I turn up I wouldn’t look ‘A has been’, no pressure, then on the Saturday just 4 days before my attempt I get an email from M & C SAATCHI, that now they would not require me to attend ,that reebok USA, stated “ However, unfortunately there have been some conflicts of interest internally at Reebok and now we aren’t going to require any extra attendees on the day. Apologies about this but it has only just come to light, so I wanted to let you know immediately”
The above is an extract from the email I received, if they wished to let me know immediately they could have pick up the phone, GWR was not impressed with their conduct, but there was little that could be done, if this sounds like sour grape it is, I was looking forward being part of the Crossfit team, and was so pleased that I had an opportunity to give my backing as small as it may be to a training program, that I know has got me to the levels of fitness that I have today , very poor show REEBOK I changed all my arrangements for them, and they just drop you without a by or leave, even so on the 16th I did manage to do 540 chin ups in 30mins and 993 chin-ups in one hour, I was well below my training Numbers But still WRs, I will just have to do them again shortly, I don’t apologise regarding the above sometimes these companies need to be told, they just can’t treat people like this and not expect a readdress, regardless of this I will still champion the Crossfit way of training.

Thanks for reading

Regards Stephen Hyland.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Not Happy With Reebok

Wow. That paragraph had two sentences. It's a new record for unreadable.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Mike Bolton

Profile:

I read the part where you said you were the world record holder for pull ups, but have no idea what else you are talking about.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Wow. That paragraph had two sentences. It's a new record for unreadable.
It's for that very reason that I didn't even start trying.

- Mark
Old 11-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Struan Potter

Profile:

Come on guys, is it that hard to make an effort?

I feel for you pal, there are parts where Reebok have been really good. But stuff like this and the OPT incident does not put them in a good light.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
Come on guys, is it that hard to make an effort?

I feel for you pal, there are parts where Reebok have been really good. But stuff like this and the OPT incident does not put them in a good light.
I agree Struan, that is some shocking treatment by Reebok. I personally will never buy anything off Reebok as Rogue has well and truely secured my business for life. Bill cares about what we think, takes some of our suggestions (look at facey for this) and makes products that we want and need. Plus his customer service is nothing short of incredible for a big company.

I strongly urge all other Crossfitters both on the interwebz and in real life never to buy anything from Reebok and shop though Rogue.

PS: At the OP please put in paragraphs, that was pretty annoying to read.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
I agree Struan, that is some shocking treatment by Reebok. I personally will never buy anything off Reebok as Rogue has well and truely secured my business for life. Bill cares about what we think, takes some of our suggestions (look at facey for this) and makes products that we want and need. Plus his customer service is nothing short of incredible for a big company.

I strongly urge all other Crossfitters both on the interwebz and in real life never to buy anything from Reebok and shop though Rogue.

The main reason I won't buy from Reebok is that it costs 50 USD on shipping, plus the outrageously overpriced garment/shoe/socks/whatever on top.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Stephen Hyland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post

Sorry 're. paragraphs',
I did the thread on a word document then copied and pasted it in to the message board and it ended up as you see it, I tried to get back in to edit it but I don't know how to. If anyone does know how I can edit my thread please let me know I will be pleased to do so.
My apologises for the way it has been presented.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Adam Carlson

Profile:

If you want to edit your post, down at the bottom of the box where it says 'quote' and 'multi quote' it should also have a third option of 'edit'.

Anyway, I feel for you too. Getting shafted on things like that is just a huge bummer and a sign of great disrespect.

I liked the old CF gear. Haven't been impressed with the newer stuff. It's great for CF to have a brand name like Reebok backing them up, but I would lean on Rogue for my needs as well.

Any chance you have videos from your record attempts?
Old 11-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
If you want to edit your post, down at the bottom of the box where it says 'quote' and 'multi quote' it should also have a third option of 'edit'.
That option only appears for a limited time after you create the post. I think it's like 5-10 minutes or so.

- Mark