CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
My Quest To Become an Animal - Frankel's Log

Hey everyone, after much waiting, I finally started my log! For the next while, I'm going to be doing Starting Strength, as strength is my limiting factor in further improving my fitness level.

Bio:
In grade 9, I was halfway through P90X for the second time, when I found out about an after-school workout club. I showed up, and my (now) coach made us do Death By Burpees. I finished 13 rounds. I started showing up to these "WOD"'s twice a week, and finally asked where he got all of these workouts from. The next two days were spent holed up in my room on my computer looking through the mainpage archives, video demos, and other information about "Crossfit". Fast forward almost 2 years and I've been strictly Crossfitting since, however it was almost 95% bodyweight + running metcons until about 3 months ago or so. I finally started incorporating strength work into my programming, which ended up being a lot of fun. I started to get addicted to the PR's I was making almost weekly, but it wasn't enough. Originally I was too scared to sacrifice looks for strength, but after going to the Canada East Regionals to watch the competition, and after much help from the board, I set it in my head that I want to be strong. I want to be an animal, and will do what it takes to get there.

Quick facts:
- I am a competitive trampolinist, and compete at a provincial level
- I have had shin splints on and off for the past 2 years
- I don't get enough sleep
- I don't eat enough veggies
- I don't eat enough
- I have had genetically high cholesterol since grade 4
- I used to be incredibly out of shape. In grade 7, started trampolining, got skinny, then starting conventional workouts (curls, tricep kickbacks, P90X, etc.) to become "fit", then found crossfit

My Goals:
- 2xBW Squat
- 315 DL by September (1RM, but I'll just end up using a 1RM calculator probably, as long as I am in SS)
- BW OHP
- 155 PC
- 200 BP
- Gain enough strength to do Fran as Rx'ed. Most I've ever done it at was 75# and time was 6:58 or something like that
Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Re: My Quest To Become an Animal - Frankel's Log

July 6th

SS #1

BS 95x3x5
BP 80x3x5
DL 105x1x5

I am trying to start very at very conservatory weights, because I would rather not end up stalling soon. I know it will pay off soon, but its aggravating to know that just last week, I 1RM pressed 5# more than I DL'ed today.

Ah well, just gotta be patient, I guess.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

July 8th

SS#2

BS 100x3x5
OHP 65x3x5
PC 70x3x5 (I really had to rush through these sets, due to the fact that I was getting picked up by someone and needed time to shower and get ready, I coule only give myself about 30 seconds to a minute of rest between 2 sets. I think lumbar rounded the slightest on maybe 2 reps total, but other than that, it was light enough that I could handle such a reduced rest period, which was good.

Yay, 50% of my old BS 1RM today :P. Soon I will be doing it for 5.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

July 12th

SS #3

BS 105x3x5
BP 85x3x5
DL 115x3x5

I also just got some rings today, so I had to play around on them, used that as my warmup. Was about 15 mins or so of MU (cant currently hit more than one at a time), and ring dips (sets of 1-5). Nothing too strenuous.

I only have skim milk at home, but i drank a full litre in one sitting, new milestone for me

Last edited by Daniel Frankel : 07-12-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

July 14th

SS #4

BS 110x3x5
OHP 70x3x5
PC 75x5x3
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Mark D Williams

Profile:

Hey dude.. Just noticed you have been suffering from shin splints. I was the same for about a year into Crossfit.. I tried almost everything.. Best thing I did was get them taped up so the muscle is pushing back towards the bone, and leave it on for a few days.. Once it starts coming undone, re-tape.

I tried A.R.T, myofascial release, acupuncture, you name it. That should help!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D Williams View Post
Hey dude.. Just noticed you have been suffering from shin splints. I was the same for about a year into Crossfit.. I tried almost everything.. Best thing I did was get them taped up so the muscle is pushing back towards the bone, and leave it on for a few days.. Once it starts coming undone, re-tape.

I tried A.R.T, myofascial release, acupuncture, you name it. That should help!
I'm assuming tape it up, but not tightly enough that blood can still get to my foot? How exactly do I tape it so that the muscle is pushing back towards the bone, any videos? And how long did you do this for, and afterwards, did you just jump back into running/burpees/boxjumps/etc, or slowly edge in?

Right now I am not overly concerned because theres obviosuly no impact with SS, but I'd be willing to try it. Thanks brother!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Mark D Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
I'm assuming tape it up, but not tightly enough that blood can still get to my foot? How exactly do I tape it so that the muscle is pushing back towards the bone, any videos? And how long did you do this for, and afterwards, did you just jump back into running/burpees/boxjumps/etc, or slowly edge in?

Right now I am not overly concerned because theres obviosuly no impact with SS, but I'd be willing to try it. Thanks brother!
ya you want it tight but obviously not tight enough that your foot goes numb. depending on the location of your shin splints that will depend on how you tape it. I left it on until the tape started to come off, so about 3 days.. Then re-taped again. Even to this day, anything over 400M intervals hurts my shins, but I can at least do those now without pain.

use a foam roller or roll your calves out on a bar after you do a WOD involving jumping or running. That should help a lot too. 5 minutes/leg.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D Williams View Post
ya you want it tight but obviously not tight enough that your foot goes numb. depending on the location of your shin splints that will depend on how you tape it. I left it on until the tape started to come off, so about 3 days.. Then re-taped again. Even to this day, anything over 400M intervals hurts my shins, but I can at least do those now without pain.

use a foam roller or roll your calves out on a bar after you do a WOD involving jumping or running. That should help a lot too. 5 minutes/leg.
Hmm. Ill definitely try that. What about showering though, am I supposed to just do that with tape on? Did you just do it for a month, a year, what? and lastly, if anything over 400m runs still hurt, would that nto mean that it never properly healed?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Mark D Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Hmm. Ill definitely try that. What about showering though, am I supposed to just do that with tape on? Did you just do it for a month, a year, what? and lastly, if anything over 400m runs still hurt, would that nto mean that it never properly healed?
showering i just left it on. I had them taped just for a week. and obviously avoided any exercises that involved the calves for some time. as for the runs, it wasn't hurting at all, but then i recently got injured and had to take time off.. after having the time off I seem to be more susceptible to the shin splints again, so i need to build the tolerance back up.