CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Matt J Negline

Profile:
Squats

My squat is pretty pathetic at the moment. Im lucky to get past 90 unless I really squeeze it and feels unstable.

To remedy this Im trying to hang out in a free squat (on my back) for about 10 minutes a day.
Im also doing basic quad and hamstring stretches before and after wods. Im happy to say that my fingers finally reached my toes the other day lol

Has anyone got any solid advice to make my squat depth a little easier. 145Lb isnt a drama for me but Im desperate for depth.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Squats

video yourself squatting and post it to the boards.

Squat more

Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Jon Campbell

Profile:

I started doing lots of mobility (mobilitywod.com has been a life saver, Kelly is the man)work combined with squating light and working on going deep and keeping form. Has really helped me. I still have work to do but I am light years ahead of where I was just a few months ago.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
I started doing lots of mobility (mobilitywod.com has been a life saver, Kelly is the man)work combined with squating light and working on going deep and keeping form. Has really helped me. I still have work to do but I am light years ahead of where I was just a few months ago.
You're on track then. Take a look at Dan John's squat vid (wfs):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1301858251744#

Old 05-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Michael Gray

Profile:

I've found that doing squats very slowly (about 45 seconds per) helps me a lot. I also do variations on foot position (toes in or out) as it works different leg muscles.

I always do free weights as it forces you to keep your balance. Balancing muscles are important. They keep you from falling down in the winter (lol).

Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gray View Post
I've found that doing squats very slowly (about 45 seconds per) helps me a lot. I also do variations on foot position (toes in or out) as it works different leg muscles.

I always do free weights as it forces you to keep your balance. Balancing muscles are important. They keep you from falling down in the winter (lol).

I'm going to question the usefulness of a 45 second squat.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Scott Kraatz

Profile:

Like Coach G says: Just Squat.

Practice practice practice.

Mine was pretty lousy when I first started but I just kept doing them in any free time I had. I also did Kelly Starrett's (sp) hip mobility from the Journal, check it out, helped me a lot.

Also, spend time resting in a full squat (hands on wall or something to keep your balance at first).

Good luck and SQUAT,

Scott

Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Michael Gray

Profile:

OK... I'm not always conventional. lol

If you do an explosive squat (which definitely has its uses), you start the momentum at the beginning, then just follow the weight through the motion.

Doing any exercise very slowly requires strength throughout the entire range of motion. It's much more difficult and balance can become an issue.

Try it, but cut your weight down about half. See how many reps you can get without losing form.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gray View Post
OK... I'm not always conventional. lol

If you do an explosive squat (which definitely has its uses), you start the momentum at the beginning, then just follow the weight through the motion.
Mr. Gray, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Richard - a bit harsh in the response, I think, especially since you didn't talk specifically why you don't think that slow squats would benefit anyone.

While I may not agree with doing slow squats since that would not benefit my training, at least Michael gave his reasons why he likes them and uses them. I think that if you are going to dismiss his ideas, a less aggressively phrased explanation of why you don't agree with him might be better.