CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Odie Camba

Profile:
OHS and shoulder injury

I dislocated my shoulder during wrestling practice 7 years ago. Never went to any kind of rehabilitation for it. It popped out again a few years back while doing behind the neck shoulder presses. Without going to rehabitatiom (too expensive for me right now), what types of exercises could I do to work up to performing heavy OHS?

Obviously I would start light, on thinking just the bar for now. Has anyone else had or going through a similar situation?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: OHS and shoulder injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie Camba View Post
I dislocated my shoulder during wrestling practice 7 years ago. Never went to any kind of rehabilitation for it. It popped out again a few years back while doing behind the neck shoulder presses. Without going to rehabitatiom (too expensive for me right now), what types of exercises could I do to work up to performing heavy OHS?

Obviously I would start light, on thinking just the bar for now. Has anyone else had or going through a similar situation?
1. What are your goals? (WHY do you need to do heavy OHS?)
2. Your shoulder is more important than trusting the opinion of random internet people over a good orthopedic surgeon or physical therapist. If you injure yourself even more, the resulting surgery is going to be much more expensive than the rehab you should have done.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Bob Butz

Profile:

Agree with Tamara. When I was younger, I had a problem with shoulders that would occasionally and spontaneously subluxate. These were minor dislocations that years later have caused a major problem (glenohumeral arthritis). I didn't do anything about the dislocations at the time either and, as it sounds like with you, they kept reoccurring.

Anyway, what you have going on is not normal and whatever it costs you should see an orthopedist to get an x-ray and then get them to prescribe some PT.

Worry about the OHS after you find out what damage you've already done.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Tim Crane

Profile:

Odie,

I have successfully used the Bodyblade Pro to rehabilitate my shoulder injuries. There are also some good things to be said about isometric exercises in rehabilitating an injured joint. I found some useful info here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/36...njured-joints/ (WFS).
Old 05-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

In the end, if you decide to hunt around on the internet for shoulder exercises rather than seek the advice of a medical professional, I would steer you away from Livestrong.

I'm fairly certain no one there knows anything about overhead squats, or they surely would not have posted this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Acmm2IpsC8E (WFS)
Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
In the end, if you decide to hunt around on the internet for shoulder exercises rather than seek the advice of a medical professional, I would steer you away from Livestrong.

I'm fairly certain no one there knows anything about overhead squats, or they surely would not have posted this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Acmm2IpsC8E (WFS)
OH DEAR LORD!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
OH DEAR LORD!
Watch it again. It gets better every time .
Old 05-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Watch it again. It gets better every time .
The more I watch it, the more I want to b-i-t-c-h slap her!

Watch her "how to do a full squat" video as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie Camba View Post
Leave the OHS alone for now. Stay off kipping pull-ups and any very dynamic shoulder work. Start some serious stabilization rehab stuff on your own if you can't afford to see a PT. All of the below are useful. You probably already know that the more you pop out your shoulder, the easier it becomes to pop it out again because your muscles weaken and connective tissue becomes lax. Connective tissue can't be fixed without surgery but you can build stabilizers of iron to help compensate.

(All links WFS)
YTWL at least 3x/week
Turkish get-ups--start LIGHT on these, just holding your arm up if you have to, and do them strict.
The Diesel Crew shoulder rehab program is a decent one. I would sub one of their extra exercises in for the Cuban rotations--a few PT-type people I've talked to don't think much of their usefulness.

Last edited by Emily Mattes : 05-20-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Donald Lee

Profile:

[quote=Emily Mattes;938966
You probably already know that the more you pop out your shoulder, the easier it becomes to pop it out again because your muscles weaken and connective tissue becomes lax. Connective tissue can't be fixed without surgery but you can build stabilizers of iron to help compensate.[/QUOTE]

Connective tissue does heal itself. It might not heal as you'd like, but it does heal. When you dislocate a joint, your ligaments become lax, allowing you to dislocate repeatedly. Once a ligament is stretched, it won't shorten without surgery. Ligaments don't contract like tendons. Unlike most other joints in the body, the shoulder is not stabilized much by ligaments, so it's the job of the rotator cuff and shoulder girdle muscles to provide the stabilization.