CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
Jared Paiva

Profile:
Considering Crossfit for Beach sprints and beach flags.

Hi guys and gals.

My name is Jared Paiva, I am from Cape Town, South Africa.

I am serioulsy considering starting Crossfit training. I am a competitive lifeguard here in South Africa. My main events are focused on beach sprints and beach flags. I dont know how many of you are familiar with lifesaving events. Sprinting is self explanatory, but harder on the legs than tack. Beach flags requires the similar explosiveness, but you are lying prone, pushing up from the ground, then onto your feet and diving for a small pole in the ground.

What I want to know is will crossfit help me with my specific sport goals? I am wanting to start quicker in my sprints and increase my overall top speed. With flags I want to be able to push myself of the ground quicker, turn quicker and be able to sprint faster to the flag.

So to all you guys and gals, your opinion would be appreciated. Will crossfit help me get quicker and stonger for my lifesaving events?

Thanks.

Jared.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Considering Crossfit for Beach sprints and beach flags.

Beach flags sound an awful lot like burpees, which we do plenty of in CF. Oly lifting, squats, deadlifts, box jumps, KB swings, and the 400-800m intervals that CF does a lot of will help you with your sprinting. You won't see a lot of <100m sprints in CF so I'd recommend working some of those on your own time since you have specific goals, but aside from that CF will most likely improve your overall conditioning and speed unless you're already running 11s for the 100m or something like that.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

What Eric said. Oly lifting will improve your explosive power and you'll be able to translate the skill to the Flags for a faster time. Sprinting I would recommend on the beach, as I'm sure you've thought of already, plus lunges and long jumps (feet together, leap forward). Squats will strengthen your legs and core (especially Over Head Squats), as will KB swings. Also practice Pistols (one legged squats) on the sand to gain more stability.

Other than that you're good to go!

Good luck!

Diego
Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Oly lifting only helps improve "explosive power" once you're proficient at it. And that usually takes a while.

Louie Simmons likes box jumps and kneeling box jumps and maintains that they have greater carry over to actual speed than the olympic lifts. Plus, they can be learned in a matter of minutes and not months.

Also, lift heavy. Deadlifts and squats are always your best friends.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Danie du Preez

Profile:

Jared,

There is a CrossFit box in Capetown, make contact with them I am sure they will be able to assist you bud! www.capecrossfit.com
Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
Jared Paiva

Profile:

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice appreciate it.

I do alot of Olympic lifts, deadlifts and squats. I also do many variations of the previously mentioned exercises. I dont isolate anymore. I have ben focusing on compound and functional movements since about Septmber last year! It has made such a difference in my overall fitness and conditioning. My workouts are not exactly crossFit, but they focus on all body exercises and movemements, moving from one exercise to the next without rest.

I have soccer now till about september/October, after that I am planning to head to CrossFit in Cape Town. I definately think the training would help me improve. Lifesaving season starts in November with the first comp in middle November.

We will be doing a track session for lifesaving in winter, so that will help as well.

I am very excited to start!

Does anyone have an idea of prices?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
Jared Paiva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Oly lifting only helps improve "explosive power" once you're proficient at it. And that usually takes a while.

Louie Simmons likes box jumps and kneeling box jumps and maintains that they have greater carry over to actual speed than the olympic lifts. Plus, they can be learned in a matter of minutes and not months.

Also, lift heavy. Deadlifts and squats are always your best friends.
Hey Julius, Thanks for the advice. Just want to know Who is Louie Simmons? Should I know him haha.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Paiva View Post
Hey Julius, Thanks for the advice. Just want to know Who is Louie Simmons? Should I know him haha.
Westside Barbell (WFS)
Louie Simmons has been appearing quite often lately in the CF journal. He is a strength coach with excellent results. He knows his stuff

Diego
Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #9
William A Cantrell

Profile:

I would add "explosive" push-ups (throw your body as high off the ground as possible some people call them clapping Push-up's) as a supplemental exercise it will help with popping up, they are not near as cardio intense as burpees but will help with speed.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
Brian Costello

Profile:

Hey Jared, glad to see another competitive lifeguard on the boards. In short, yes CF will help your beach flags. I also compete in beach flags here in the U.S and my performance has dramatically improved since beginning cf.

The summer before I started doing CF I was about the 5th or 6th best on my beach, not even considered to travel to regionals, nationals, etc. I always had some natural speed but I was not able to hang with my own guys (we also had two former US world team competitors and former national champs on the squad). The following summer I came back about 6 months into my CF training and I was a whole new person in the sand. I won my inter-beach tournament beating both of the above mentioned guys and took everyone by surprise. This was also the beginning of my conversion of dozens of co-workers to CF but that is a different story.

That summer I won the Long Island Championships and was runner-up in the regionals, losing only to the defending national champ. The following summer I beat the defending national champion to win the region and like to think I would have been top 3 in the nation if I wasn't DQ'ed for false starting in the semi-finals. I was also a member of the 4 x 100m beach sprint national championship after not making the team previous year. I'm not trying to brag here, just pointing out the dramatic improvement from CF.

Of course I accredit CF for my success, but I can't over emphasize the importance of Oly Lifts. I feel this helped the most. Take the time to learn the technique, its worth it. I would also recommend doing something like CF Football. It has a lot of explosive lifting mixed in with "short-burst" workouts with a given rest period. Make sure to mix in some plyometric training and very high box jumps. We are fortunate enough to only have to sprint for 3-4 seconds followed by a rest of over a minute.

Like mentioned above, do lots of burpees and plyo push-ups. Kipping pull-ups and kettlebell swings also seemed to give me the "hip-pop" I use in my start/get-up.

If you are really serious though, buy a pair of Oly shoes, a couples books/dvds on Oly Lifting and go add 100lbs to your Clean and Jerk and 50lbs to your snatch. Personally, I don't see any substitute for this.

Train hard and if things go good for both of us maybe I'll see you in Egypt for Worlds this October (I set high goals). Good luck!