CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:
Re: Becoming a Crossfit'er

Ugh - Headache almost all afternoon.

It will subside. I did this to myself!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:

Day 2 was BRUTAL for me.

First and foremost I had a headache from 1pm til I went to bed at 11:30pm. Ugh! I know it's just a combination of caffeine withdrawl + diet changes but it sucked. I fought through it though even though I wanted a Monster or something pretty bad.

The second "rough" part was that I went to the Twins game with 3 of my buddies.. Went to one dudes condo and they all had a couple cocktails, then we went to the game and everyone was eating baseball game food and drinking beers. Then after the game we went OUT for beers.

Through all of that - I stayed clear. I drank water all night and ate sunflower seeds with no shell and no salt. I felt good for fighting through it.

My wife made "Paleo Cookies" last night which aren't the most tasty thing in the world but will probably REALLY help us stay focused since it's fun and "snacky"..

Here is to a solid Day 3.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:

Day 3 has been MUUUCCCHHHHH better all together! Much.. Actually - it's been great. I can't wait for 10 days to go past so I can really start seeing and feeling the effects.

Today's Diet has been something along the lines of this -

homemade smoothie - protein (no soy), blackberries, strawberries, sugar free orange juice, some ice and a touch of lemon juice.

then I had an apple later in the morning

lunch was a cobb salad with lettuce, ham, bacon and eggs and I added a nice banana on top

afternoon I had a can of tuna

before crossfit I had some black berries, couple strawberries and one "paleo cookie".

after crossfit I had a whey (no soy) protein shake with water and 2 chicken breasts that had some spicey seasoning.

Tonight I'm gonna meet a buddy for his birthday and I'm NOT drinking again. I'm just saying no. I'll meet him for a beer and buy it for him and drink my water. I'm Paleo this month (or something damn close enough to it!)

Tonights workout -

150m sprint
5 front squats - 115lbs
20 lunges

Circuited 5 times. I finished in 12:05.. My *** is on FIRE Those lunges KILL me as I NEVER do them. My butt is NOT ready for that kind of work. The front squats were a good workout and good weight for me. I really, really, really just need to get into the gym and get into better overall shape so that these run/sprints don't kill me so much. I'm so gassed from the runs that the workout portion is brtual. I can't wait to look back on this in 6 months and see how far I've come since my first month of paleo and my first month of TRULY getting in shape with Crossfit.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need to get more fats into my diet. I think I will go back to supplementing my fish oil pills in for some added fat. I think I'm too low right now.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:

Yesterday was a great day. The Paleo diet is going really well - I'm finding it easier to live with every day.

Yesterday I got up and made eggs and turkey bacon for the wife and I. I have a chicken caesar salad for lunch and then for dinner I have a filet oscar @ a work dinner. I did "cheat" twice yesterday - I had ONE piece of hard candy at a seminar because I thought I might have bad breath and my steak had bernaise sauce on it and there was no way I was asking for a new one. But if one small piece of cinamon candy and some sauce are my "cheats" so far I'm doing good. Dinner was steak, crab and asparagus - also had a quick dinner salad before with greens and peaches.

This morning I Crossfitted before work. Luckily for me it was only me and the owner/trainer/super guy Steve.

I did (beginner scaled)

15 push presses -95lbs
15 medicine ball cleans - 16 lbs ball
15 ring rows

10 push presses - 95 lbs
10 medicine ball cleans - 16 lbs ball
10 ring rows

10 push presses - 95 lbs
10 medicine ball cleans - 16 lbs ball
10 ring rows

And we finished it off with 25 knee to elbows on the cage for some ab/core work. My shoulders were actually worked pretty well since they are hanging workouts and my delts aren't very developed YET.

I think I'm going to say it every time I make a post - I ****ing love Crossfit.

Last edited by Jeff Wadholm : 04-23-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #16
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:

My first full weekend Paleo went *PRETTY* I had a couple drinks throughout the weekend but nothing that I feel threw me off the bus. I ate 100% paleo, no cheats. I just had a few drinks. It kept me sane. We went out with some friends Friday, to a family party/BBQ Saturday and I put the docks in the lake on Sunday with buddies and the only non-Paleo moments were a few beers.

It's getting easier and I'm more accustomed to it. I'll have to see how it all goes but when the "30 Day Challenge" is over - I can see myself staying Paleo adding in a few cocktails and an energy drink here and there (low carb, sugar free) in the mornings. Aside from those couple things - I can see Paleo being a long term eating option for me. I like it. My wife is on board too.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #17
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:

Paleo is going great. I'm feeling better than ever both mentally and physically. My cravings are reduced to almost zero. There are a few things here and there that I'd "like" to have but nothing that I feel like I HAVE to have. It's day 9 essentially and my only cheat was a couple drinks with family over the weekend. My diet has been pretty strict paleo. I've had some salad dressings that weren't paleo but who's counting.

Crossfit is going great as well. Tonight we did a 3 rep max on squats. I ended up doing a LOT of sets of squats overall.

bar x 10
135 x 10
185 x 5
205 x 3
215 x 3
225 x 3
235 x 3
235 x 2 - I didn't even make an attempt at my last rep here. My form is getting bend. When I'm all the down past parrallel and start to make my thrust back up - my knees are bending in quite bad. I need to focus on keeping the weight on my heals and on the outside of my feet. In the past I've always squatted from my toes and pushed inward with my feet. This is a form issue I need to work on with no light weight on the bar and get the muscle memory down.

After the squat session we did a circuit.

10 - box jumps (mid)
10 pull ups (no assitance)

8 box jumps (mid)
8 pull ups (blue band)

6 box jumps (mid)
6 pull ups (blue band)

4 box jumps (mid)
4 pull ups (blue band)

2 box jumps (mid)
2 pull ups (blue band)

I finished in about 4:15.. I really want to get to a point where I'm doing ALL of these pull ups with no assistance whether it's kipping or regular pull ups.

I probably added another 15-20 total box jumps on the mid box after the circuit was done. I ended up box jumping straight through with others from the group until they were done.

Great workout and great diet. I'm loving Paleo and I'm loving Crossfit. A buddy of mine who I have always given a hard time to about his super strict diet called me the new Diet Police today.. Hahaha. Irony!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:

I haven't been training any jiu jitsu lately. I really want to get back on the mat. I think I will wait til mid summer til everything is rolling along good with paleo, crossfit and I'm settled in and have got a lot of time on the water at the lake wakeboarding. Once the newness of summer and the diet and everything wears off - I'll head back to jiu jitsu and see if my new workout results make the jiu jitsu workout easier for me!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:

Today was another great day. Paleo isn't even a thought anymore. I just eat this way. Smoothie for breakfast, banana for snack, turkey salad for lunch, hard boiled egg, almonds and dried fruit for snack and then for dinner I had 2 pieces of turkey bacon, 3 small turkey sausages, some red pepper and then some carrots and broccoli (this was after xfit).

Tonights WOD was "Helens sister Meghan"

Meghan (I completed this at the Intermediate Level)
250 meter run
18 Wall Balls (7 kilo ball)
9 Ring Rows (I did all sets with feet up on bench)

Circuited it three times. I completed it in 8:15. It was a good *** workout. I was REALLY breathing hard when I finished the last set of Wall Balls and headed into the Ring Rows. One thing I really need to work on is my running. I need to start doing some running outside of Crossfit so I can get myself to a place where the advanced run distances won't kill me for the other workouts.

I loved this one.

I was going to go train Jiu Jitsu tomorrow night with a buddy but he has to work until 9 and the gym closes at 10. I'm getting the itch to get back on the mat, even if it's only a couple of times on the weekend or something.

Crossfit is bomb.com I can't wait til 6 months from now when I'm pushing myself even harder.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #20
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:

Paleo is easy now. It's a total non-issue. I'm not drinking, I'm not cheating. The only "cheat" I'm doing is whey protein. I won't give that up so it's not even a thought for me. I can't believe how easy the transition was. My 30 days will be up in 2 weeks and at this point I have zero interest in having a cheat day. I'm sure I'll just keep it going.

Last night my legs were FRIED from the last two nights so I skipped the WOD and stayed home and worked on my boat. I buffed and waxed the entire thing. Man, talk about a back workout!

This morning I got up and did some quick work on my own.

I did a run - I'd say 2 miles. I varied the pace from 10 minute mile pace to 8 minute mile pace and just did the best I could.

When I got home I did a quick rotation just to get the blood flowing.

10 Burpees
10 BW Squats
10 Push Ups
25 Jumping Jacks

Then I did a cool down stretch and headed in for breakfast. Tonight I'll be wrenching on a friends car and hopefully tomorrow I'll get a WOD in before we start our massive landscaping project.