CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #21
Bryan Kemper

Profile:
Re: 14 Days Skiing, no WODs - How much will I loose?

When I was stationed in Germany, I completed my National Ski Patrol certification. Our two on the hill training locations was Garmisch, GE and at Lauterbrunnen, just outside of Interlaken. Our patrol "base of operations" was a great Gasthaus at the top of the Lauterbrunnen gondola. They had the best breakfast special...two eggs anyway, swiss style hashbrowns and bacon or sausage. Every morning would be eggs over easy mixed up with the potatoes and sausage.....good stuff.

Great skiing, running patrol tobogans and performing outdoor emergency care scenarios. We definitely got some wierd looks rescuing mock patients and taking the sled up the lift.

Back to OP question: Just ski and have a great time. Do more runs faster and more off-piste powder runs than you normally did. When everyone is complaining about being tired, you are looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #22
Mike Gray

Profile:

Well - I might as well give this one its PS.

This turned out to be the weird-ski-vacation year.

First my skis got stolen. (Not so bad because of insurance, but that was destiny's warning shot.)

Then my 13-year-old daughter - the best skier in the family - crashed in front of a ski lift and got a concussion. Pity in particular because I'd been offered a family ski lesson with a guy called Urs Räber - WC DH champion in 1984. That would have been so awesome for her. And I just love skiing with her.

That afternoon, I ate a chocolate muffin to console myself - and cracked a molar on what I think was a nut shell. Spit out a chunk of tooth - and a whole bunch of cash for emergency tooth repair - but now it looks like I going to have to go in for a root canal job.

Monday of the second week I tried out the Lauberhorn slalom run with a pair of racing skis I was testing. I'd been having trouble finding their edges all day, and that's the perfect run to really see what a ski is like. My son (11) was in a bad mood and said he'd wait for me to do one run. I really wanted that test, so I hurried. Ergo: spectacular wipe out left shoulder AC separation, Type I. It should heal completely, but I'll probably keep the bump on my shoulder as a souvenir to show off in the old folks home some day.

(Still: the alpine clinic doc said I have strong shoulder musculature that kept the damage from being worse than it could have been. Thanks CF!)

Three days later, I decided to keep the ski lesson with Urs Räber. My son was really revved for the lesson, but I wasn't exactly tearing it up - Urs remarked that I was skiing "stiff" and unbalanced. No duh, man. Felt like I was wasting his time.

Monday got back to my CF box. "War Frank" was there to welcome me home. Couldn't do the muscle-ups (not that I could have done 75 anyway!), but I let out a whoooole lot of frustration on that GHD. And ... well, that takes us back to the premise of this thread:

What happens when you crash through 100+ GHD sit ups with your body a little slack and after a little too much time off? Epic DOMS, of course. Swollen abs, rectal bleeding (too much NSAIDs contributed to that, I think), the works!

Anyway, it's Friday now, DOMS is back to normal, and I'll be back at the WODs. I think I can even do some light DLs and OHSs. The funny thing: I can't wait to go skiing again. What a wonderful, incredible sport. So what if bad stuff happens. So what if you get a little DOMS again afterward. It's awesome.

Last edited by Mike Gray : 03-05-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 AM   #23
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
Well - I might as well give this one its PS.

This turned out to be the weird-ski-vacation year.

First my skis got stolen. (Not so bad because of insurance, but that was destiny's warning shot.)

Then my 13-year-old daughter - the best skier in the family - crashed in front of a ski lift and got a concussion. Pity in particular because I'd been offered a family ski lesson with a guy called Urs Räber - WC DH champion in 1984. That would have been so awesome for her. And I just love skiing with her.

That afternoon, I ate a chocolate muffin to console myself - and cracked a molar on what I think was a nut shell. Spit out a chunk of tooth - and a whole bunch of cash for emergency tooth repair - but now it looks like I going to have to go in for a root canal job.

Monday of the second week I tried out the Lauberhorn slalom run with a pair of racing skis I was testing. I'd been having trouble finding their edges all day, and that's the perfect run to really see what a ski is like. My son (11) was in a bad mood and said he'd wait for me to do one run. I really wanted that test, so I hurried. Ergo: spectacular wipe out left shoulder AC separation, Type I. It should heal completely, but I'll probably keep the bump on my shoulder as a souvenir to show off in the old folks home some day.

(Still: the alpine clinic doc said I have strong shoulder musculature that kept the damage from being worse than it could have been. Thanks CF!)

Three days later, I decided to keep the ski lesson with Urs Räber. My son was really revved for the lesson, but I wasn't exactly tearing it up - Urs remarked that I was skiing "stiff" and unbalanced. No duh, man. Felt like I was wasting his time.

Monday got back to my CF box. "War Frank" was there to welcome me home. Couldn't do the muscle-ups (not that I could have done 75 anyway!), but I let out a whoooole lot of frustration on that GHD. And ... well, that takes us back to the premise of this thread:

What happens when you crash through 100+ GHD sit ups with your body a little slack and after a little too much time off? Epic DOMS, of course. Swollen abs, rectal bleeding (too much NSAIDs contributed to that, I think), the works!

Anyway, it's Friday now, DOMS is back to normal, and I'll be back at the WODs. I think I can even do some light DLs and OHSs. The funny thing: I can't wait to go skiing again. What a wonderful, incredible sport. So what if bad stuff happens. So what if you get a little DOMS again afterward. It's awesome.
They probably could have made a comedy movie about all that!
Anyway glad you enjoyed yourself?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #24
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Off to Utah for 3 days of skiing. Can't wait to "Loose" some strength!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #25
Mike Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Off to Utah for 3 days of skiing. Can't wait to "Loose" some strength!
Just keep your distance from chocolate muffins!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #26
David Dallaire

Profile:

From experience, I bet you find you lose a bit and gain it back afterwards. I would put money on your maxes going up a bit because of the long, active recovery.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #27
Matt Rexin

Profile:

This whole thread is making me extremely jealous.
We just had the Winter Olympics here, but you can't tell from the snow on the mountains.