CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
Matt Zabojnik

Profile:
Zone Sleep, Increase blocks?

Hello all,
I hope to make this question quick and simple.

I have an abnormal sleep schedule(Detailed here: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=51451 WFS), leaving me awake for extended periods of time. I have read Dr. Sears' Enter the Zone, but he didn't talk much about sleep.

I'm getting ready to start a Zoned-Paleo diet as soon as I can and I was wondering if I should adjust my blocks up at all for long periods of no-sleep? I often go 24 hours without sleep, and occasionally find myself near the 48 hour mark. Should I increase my block intake? Currently I'm calculating that I require 18 blocks/day.

I hope this question isn't a "no-brainer," I haven't slept in a while and I'm still new/learning about this new world of nutrition.

Thank you for all the help.

-Matt Zabojnik
Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Zone Sleep, Increase blocks?

Are you trying to lean out to 6% bodyfat or something? If not, part of the beauty of Paleo is that you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. So if you're awake for extended periods of time, or you're hungry from being more active, just eat more. Since you say you're just getting started with it, you will get plenty of benefits from an unweighed and unmeasured Paleo diet. Then worry about weighing and counting blocks later on if you realize you need to get more precise with things.

What's your height, weight, approx bodyfat, and goals?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Albert Chang

Profile:
Re: Zone Sleep, Increase blocks?

I've got a bit of an odd circadian rhythm as well. During the time I should be sleeping, I'll add two or three blocks. However, I was only recommended 13 blocks... My own experience, I didn't really put much thought into it.