CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Al Bulkley

Profile:
what do I do now? (need to lose some fat quickly)

This post will end up being a testimonial for Starting Strength / CFWF, but first and foremost it is a serious plea for much-needed advice. It is long and does involve a little whining on my part, so if you are short on time or patience please skip over it....

When I was young I was always a good athlete and pretty strong and fit. I played soccer, wrestled for years, and ran track. Then I hurt my back in the military and literally couldn't do anything physical for a long time. After that injury eventually healed, I stayed lazy and spent the last half of my 20's and first few years of my 30's eating too much, drinking too much beer, not exercising nearly enough, and generally being about 50-60 pounds overweight and in terrible shape. I have a stocky, naturally solid frame and am about 5'10". Aside from my spare tire I do still have a solid, athletic looking build.

Anyway, I am now a flight nurse by profession, and as such I need to keep my body weight below 230 in order to meet the weight requirements that my company has in place (240# "flight ready"). This has always been a challenge for me....in fact I've never met that standard since I've been with my current employer, though it has never been much of an issue since I've always been within about 10 pounds.

In order to finally meet this standard and because I'm generally sick of being fat and out of shape, I've been dabbling with different diet and workout programs on and off for the past few years. My body has always responded really well to weight training, but I've never had the discipline to stick with a program very long. I did do Starting Strength for a couple months a few years ago, and it worked really well for me but after a few months I stopped working out entirely. My diet sucks. I did lose almost 15 pounds on Atkins last September (08), and then managed to keep it off with running and swimming until this past August, when I really fell off the wagon and gained a few pounds of fat back.

Somewhere during the second half of September I finally found the discipline to get more serious about my workouts and my fitness. I started following Starting Strength to the letter (minus the GOMAD) and worked out really consistently and hard, and saw significant results very quickly. Just a few weeks ago I transitioned to the CFWF program, which seems to be working even better for me. My diet still sucks overall, though I have made incremental improvements here and there.

In the past 6 to 8 weeks the weight that I can handle on the lifts has increased dramatically, and I've gained enough mass in my upper body that almost everyone I know has commented on it. I actually notice it most in my upper legs, hips, and buttocks....they are noticeably larger and more muscular then when I started, to the point that some of my pants don't even fit me quite right anymore. My gut is still flabby and the love handles are there, but my waist is about the same or a little smaller than when I started this about 8 weeks ago.

So I finally decided to commit to a new diet and I planned to start today. (I planned to do a week or two of very low-carb, and then transition to the Zone). In order to gauge my progress, I figured I would weigh myself and measure my waist on the morning that I started.

So I woke up today and stepped on the scales.....and imagine my shock and horror when the they said 261.8 pounds!

Now, as someone who has been working out hard I should have been ecstatic to see a nearly 20 pound weight gain over 8-9 weeks, and I would have been IF it weren't for the small fact that my JOB depends on me weighing 30 pounds less than I do now. I am absolutely shocked. I mean, I knew I'd gained some mass, but I also knew I'd lost some fat and I figured the net result would be pretty near a wash. If anything I feel lighter...

Honestly, my employer is going to FLIP when they find out how much I weigh...the unwritten agreement has always been that me being a little over 240 was OK, as long as I was actively trying to meet the standard, and as long as I stayed within 8-10 pounds or so.

I know I can lose probably about 5 pounds over just a couple of days just by drinking tons of water and eating lots of fiber and eating clean in general. But then what?

Does anyone honestly know any tricks for losing serious weight rapidly? I seriously need to lose about 15-20 pounds NOW, just to get back to where I was before I started lifting heavy!

If this low carb thing works as well as it did for me last year, then it should pretty much do the trick. But I'm skeptical that I'll get the same results.

Of course, I'd like to retain as much strength and mass as I can, but just getting this weight off quickly is more important - this is my livelihood we're talking about.

I know this probably all sounds really stupid....dumb guy lifts hard and then whines that he got strong and big. But I never imagined I'd gain 20 pounds in 8 weeks...my goal was simply to put on a little muscle and get stronger, so that I could do better at metcons and be more efficient at burning fat...that is all.

Any advice?

Thanks for reading....
Old 11-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
CJ Ryan Harris

Profile:
Re: what do I do now? (need to lose some fat quickly)

Adopt a paleo/zone diet.

Either or, Paleo doesn't really call on you to weigh/measure food. While the zone does.

I kind of walk the line between the too.

Paleo in a nutshell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCFZoqmKf5M

WFS
I just like that video. What can I say.

How long do you have to lose this weight?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:

Do U need to loose the weight now to keep your job? If so have they given you a time line to do so?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:

Sorry didn't see Cj question.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You didn't get overweight overnight and you're not going to get back in shape overnight either...not to mention that "get skinny quick" diets rarely produce sustainable weight loss and tend to make people miserable. If you eat Paleo, you will lose the weight at a reasonable pace without hating yourself the whole way.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Do a search for "cutting for fight" or "wrestling weightloss". THat will tell you how to drop the lbs quick so you don't get fired.

Then, once you are down with that festival of suck (and it will suck), look at zone and paleo diets.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Al Bulkley

Profile:

Thanks for the replies thus far guys....as far as the diet there seems to be a general consensus that paleo is the way to go.

Any big concern with carb intake, or just eat whatever as long as its paleo? Low-carb did work well for me that one time in the past...

As far as work, I'm not sure what my timeline will be....just as quickly as is absolutely possible. I'll talk to my boss tomorrow and explain what happened. They aren't going to fire me on the spot or anything, but they will be very unhappy and I'm sure there will be an ultimatum. I'm an RN and a Paramedic so worse comes to worse, I will be able to find something else quickly. Obviously I'd really rather avoid that, though.

Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited by Al Bulkley : 11-09-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Hey Al, I was in the same situation as you coming off of a SS+GOMAD cycle when I first started CF (I weighed 257 lbs). I switched to a Paleo diet, and the low-carb intake intrinsic in Paleo resulted in my shedding 8 lbs (which was definitely all water weight) in the first week.
With any luck, your results will largely be the same.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

As for exercise you could try a workout plan with more high intensity metcon workouts, or more high intensity intervals. The weight loss will have to take precedent over strength for right now. As the weight loss will be mostly diet it may not make too much of a difference, but every little bit may count.

As for diet: A number of people have reported that they had a lot of success with a low carb paleo. Paleo will naturally be lower carbohydrate but some people have taken it farther and eaten very little fruit to get even lower carbohydrates. This might be the way to go for you, since low carb has worked for you in the past.

One thing you could try is a strict 1 month challenge to get started. The advantage there is that the pressure not to cheat goes beyond "I shouldn't eat that" and turns it into "am I going to FAIL, am I going to admit that I CAN'T accomplish something just because of a stupid piece of bread? Am I going to throw away the previous weeks of hard work I put in because of that dough? HELL NO!"

At some point, of course, you will need to settle on a permanent diet and lifestyle change.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #10
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:

What I am about to say is bloody stupid and not healthy, however, if it is that urgent and serious then it is the quickest way, short term, to lose weight.

Eat as little as possible. Go on a fast, drink only non calorific beverages. Sleep as much as you can and do as much as you can.

If you dont put in caloruies they have to come from somewhere to survive.

I don't advise you do this but if you were it would be the quickest way.

Sure it would be a mix of fat, lean tissue and water but the weight would come off quickest.